Domain Empire

strategy Strategy to sell domains at least 50-100$

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ImperiousDon

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
By the way, I meant to also say that I agree entirely with @imadoer with respect to the wisdom of starting small and becoming more adept at domain name investment basics while you see a constant flow of sales, even at minor prices. I think that if you start out too big too fast there is danger you will invest more than you can safely afford to lose, and run too high a risk, before you have proven your domain skills.

I see myself at that stage now. I take low risks (low enough even if I sold nothing it would not impact my family really), am learning to get better at selecting domain names and how to promote them. My first sale was for $10 which seems so tiny, but I had only paid less than a $1 for it, and it did emotionally feel so good to have a sale. The next month I had 3 more and I think that it is really hard to wait years for any kind of sale, and there is emotional value, even if little or no economic payoff, in starting at the low value end.

As I said earlier, I think this end of market is not currently very well served and is potentially huge - there are bloggers, tiny one person businesses, etc. that will pay $40 to $140 for a domain name if it is substantially better than one they can find to register, providing they trust the seller and the sales process is smooth.

Last edited:
•••
To each their own.

I value my time highly, as I can make $xxx/hr from non domain related work, so for me it doesn't make sense to hunt for 1-5 dollar deals.

I prefer reseller prices at gd and dyna, but with the benefits of consolidation, fast transfer, keeping reg history etc.

This gives me near 50% return on my investment passively and I would not bother to buy a name if I would not think I can sell it for xxxx.

Guys who sell at 20-80 percent for xx don't factor in the time spent. If they pay themselves $5-10 per hour, they would discover that they are not really making much on top of that

•••
•••
I agree with thinking bigger. But if you think you want to fly to the moon. It's really hard to do when you only have a few rocketship parts and you dont know how the peices go together.
Agreed again. But targeting domain sales of $500 - $1,000 is hardly going overboard and flying to the moon :xf.wink:
People need to get some knowledge and experience before they think big.
Respectfully, I have to agree to disagree with you on this count all the way! Luckily, thinking big has no such prerequisites! :xf.grin::xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
Actually, things are not that bad as you make them sound, Paul. You are applying end user sales metrics to a $50 - $100 sales strategy that's targeting resellers or very low-end end users. Different metrics apply there.

OK, fair enough. As a purveyor of wholesale inventory I agree that STR is higher on domains that go cheaply (let's call it 5%) but it's still not high enough to make up for the cost of acquisitions and renewals, much less the value of your own time.

•••
All I smell is hate. Well one guy could do this and I cant. This cant be true it just cant be! I didnt reinvent the dam wheel I just offered a strategy that works if done right

But you didn't. You offered the insight that there is a strategy that does work without discussing what the actual strategy is. Our OP isn't able to duplicate your success without your methods, so why should we give him false hope that $50-$100 is a winning bet?

•••
The $60 minimum at Afternic for example is a big chunk of a $250 sale.
I believe Afternic has a $15 minimum commission. Quote:
"We receive a 20% commission ($15 minimum)* for sales on both the Standard Network and Premium Network."

•••
I believe Afternic has a $15 minimum commission. Quote:
"We receive a 20% commission ($15 minimum)* for sales on both the Standard Network and Premium Network."

Thank you for the correction @DrJacoby and you are totally right. I had meant to say Sedo have a $60 minimum (for most extensions) and in a totally absent minded way typed Afternic. Thank you for catching it. Here is the link for Sedo. Unfortunately it is too late to correct my post, and hopefully people will read down to see the correction.
https://sedo.com/us/what-we-offer/price-list-for-services/

•••
Can you give me some advice ?

Sell those low priced domains passively at marketplaces with no minimum fee. I would recommend namesilo marketplace. Try to acquire domains with some traffic and use the official namesilo landing page as it will process payment and transfer securely and instantly with no effort on your side (you can sell while you sleep :))

If you keep the price low and if the domain has some traffic, one of the visitors will more likely to buy it especially if the price is under $100. Try to acquire domains with some traffic. If you hand register try to register domains with some type-in traffic potential or register dropped domains with some history. Otherwise you should spend too much time to find a buyer.

Last edited:
•••
They buy domains which are of the quality to receive regular inbound. They do use social media for outbound but obviously they don't tweet out in a 'for sale' manner.
Selling domains to another domainer dosen’t make you successful domainer!

•••
Selling domains to another domainer dosen’t make you successful domainer!
I've made xxxxx profit last year just by selling to other domainers, that means that I was not successful? If I would have a blog I would have been more successful? What about the Booth brothers and others like them, who sell and buy domains at xxxxx-xxxxxx to/from other domainers, are they successful? What about if you make 2000 more than you have paid for, selling to other domainers, will that make you successful?

•••
I've made xxxxx profit last year just by selling to other domainers, that means that I was not successful? If I would have a blog I would have been more successful? What about the Booth brothers and others like them, who sell and buy domains at xxxxx-xxxxxx to/from other domainers, are they successful? What about if you make 2000 more than you have paid for, selling to other domainers, will that make you successful?

Making xxxxx in year dosent make you successful! Its just peanuts. You would be making xxxxxx selling to end users

Thats what I am saying you do not need blog!

Booth brothers are not domainers. They are brokers.

And no making 2000 more selling to other domainers dosent make you succesful!

Thanks

•••
Last edited:
•••
I'd like to hire some of your team on one of their days off :xf.grin:

You can hire your own team and start with outbound... Though it takes time to run outbound on auto mode... feel free to let me know if I can be of any assistance

•••
Yes I had a small team but I like yours better. (y)

Great ... do share your experience... it's always good to learn of experiences of fellow domainers especially in terms of outbound as very few does that.... I personally know atleast 10 domains who r into outbound full time and they are doing pretty good for themself

•••
Congrats on the sale and glad to hear the process went smoothly! Can someone else confirm that they charge less than $15 minimum, as their website seems to say they have do charge 20% with $15 minimum.

https://www.afternic.com/sell-domains

They do at the top say they have the lowest commission in the industry, clearly not true at 20%, so is it possible they lowered it to compete with Undeveloped but forgot to update their page? There must be others who have had recent sales on Afternic who can confirm.

They take 20%. A $150 sale will net you $120. Clearly a lie about being the lowest.

•••
The trouble with targeting $50-$100 is that the math simply doesn't work...
Actually, things are not that bad as you make them sound, Paul. You are applying end user sales metrics to a $50 - $100 sales strategy that's targeting resellers or very low-end end users. Different metrics apply there.

•••
And @nyjumbo if you open u your eyes some you will find a link for $1 .coms on namepros good luck
I know about the $1 link, but thats a fluke, not something you can rely on. Once they figure it out, its gone. Thats also only been around for a few months. So if you used it to build up a 1,000 domain list and sold 80% in a few months you would have had to buy almost all of them in the first few weeks since they put it up.

I just do not see how or where you are doing this. You're not selling them here AND if you sell them on the major platforms most wont take them for $35 or will eat your profits.

•••
I know about the $1 link, but thats a fluke, not something you can rely on. Once they figure it out, its gone. Thats also only been around for a few months. So if you used it to build up a 1,000 domain list and sold 80% in a few months you would have had to buy almost all of them in the first few weeks since they put it up.

I just do not see how or where you are doing this. You're not selling them here AND if you sell them on the major platforms most wont take them for $35 or will eat your profits.

Fluke for now maybe but how many have you gotten from this sale???? I've crushed flash sales and dotster sales.. I have the ability to sell hand regs st a higher profit then 35 each I'm sorry that u dont

For those that know me and how I sell they know I speak the truth

Last edited:
•••
You're very defensive right now. Sounds like shenanigans to me. Have a nice day.

Defensive yes I dont ike being called I liar or being interrogated when I'm trying to share.

yup

Apologize for the audio quality, we'll have a better setup this year

I'm not going to watch your video

But if i had to bet it all has to do with afternic and and godaddy sales nonsense.

•••
But you didn't. You offered the insight that there is a strategy that does work without discussing what the actual strategy is. Our OP isn't able to duplicate your success without your methods, so why should we give him false hope that $50-$100 is a winning bet?

Your advice is a false bet too. It all has to do with choosing the right names you can buy 1000 domains and have a sell through percentage of 0 of he listens to you. So if you want to put it like that we are both wrong huh

•••
yup

Apologize for the audio quality, we'll have a better setup this year
Nice video, and particularly what can be interesting for many beginners is the information about pricing "sweet spot" for rmost .com domains considering such a large portfolio.

Definitely worth watching particularly when you invest in .com (where there is a simple renewal structure of 8-10 USD yearly renewal). If you invest in new gTLDs, you would need to put much more emphasis on different renewal fees for various extensions, which is an additional variable to be considered, but for .com names I think this can be very good way to go.

•••
Can you give me some advice ?

First off, I read all of the thread so far.
Just my opinion, a few heavy weights have posted (you don't get the PRO badge cause you are super good looking like me!) and they each have their own style (metrics) and all...believe this is a full time job/career for them!

Now a light weight like me to basically answer @ImperiousDon question...is eBay!

Also I am assuming that $50/100 is lot to you (I just spent a little more on a circular saw blade.)...hope I am not the only one...

•••
Yes! Why you need network? Your sales should be end-user based. You sell one domain and never see the buyer again!
Okay trying to understand your point..other than using Sedo/Godaddy/Afternic/etc, how do you make sales without networking?

I know that the successful full time domainers use their Twitter/FB/LinkedIn/etc accounts to let other domainers (followers/etc) know that they have domain(s) for sale!

Even on Namepros, I get messages from members that I know professionally that either tell me that they have a domain for sale (in my niche), where a deal is and or I ask them if they know anyone in their circles that might be interested in what I am selling..

Maybe my understanding of networking different than yours?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back