Dynadot

advice Strange Afternic situation - had 0 sales in a month (7K names)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Now this is quite weird and I have seen nothing like it.

I'm getting offers and sales each other day at Dan where I park my domains. So things are good there.

But on the other hand, I had zero sales in the last 30 days at Afternic with arond 7K names listed. Nothing appears wrong technically, they also show up on GD, what on earth is going on? (scratching head)

My next step is to move to offer only at Afternic cause this is what I use at Dan and see what happens.

But anyway, 7 k names, out of which 4.5 K are coms and the rest a mix of .co, net and org. I know their pricing is alright, this is also reason why I get a lot of offers at Dan (got 5 today and accepted 3).

Any tips appreciated!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
afternic bugs always existed. in huge numbers and no fixes. it has nothing to do with gd merge

afew years ago i used to make a killing with Godaddy premium listings, then Godaddy merged with Afternic and they killed the cash cow

right now, i have one domain at Godaddy that is pending review FOREVER
i listed from Godaddy and from Afternic Dashboard with the same result

this is clearly one big bug from the new integration inside Godaddy

•••
wow, I have many domains that don't even show up in the list at all. only if you type in with tld

coolflowers / com
gethydro / com

not even on their list of domains if searched by keywords only. harsh.

•••
I’m in UK and TBH I’m very disappointed... I typed eMotorbike without extension and this is what I get ... the .com is ....

ED655A49-BEFE-41AB-A4E7-6F8B344DDA49.png

3D927C0E-F718-402C-93FF-A902DC3AFA3A.png

•••
i wonder if some of the big boys like Huge domains are feeling the pinch too - they have a lot listed as premium listings

•••
Do you do paid promotion there or just a standard listing?
No paid promotion.
I think paid promotion only works if you have a great liquid name that you want to liquidate for a slightly higher price than an Auction.

I have wasted a few hundred bucks on paid promotions of crap domains elsewhere.

•••
•••
•••
•••
the gd cycle is 90 days.
if u list on gd
should be same if u list there via afternic

I just listed via Afternic (spreadsheet upload) and had 45 days. May I specify that the domains were already in, I just changed prices for them.

•••
45day cycle theory doesn't affect anything on US website @twiki , your exact match domain always shows first in .com.

Yes it affects, for not exact matches. Someone looks for a "cash" domain, say I have "realcash.com", they will not see my domain.

•••
afew years ago i used to make a killing with Godaddy premium listings, then Godaddy merged with Afternic and they killed the cash cow

right now, i have one domain at Godaddy that is pending review FOREVER
i listed from Godaddy and from Afternic Dashboard with the same result

this is clearly one big bug from the new integration inside Godaddy

All my new domains are never added to Fast Transfer. I have to call Afternic monthly to ask for a reset.

Also, some will be stuck in pending forever unless I call, for no reason (nothing bad with them).

•••
I assume they are registries paying GoDaddy a premium for that placement or something.

Yes they do:

20201213_130930.jpg

3 of top domains have "Ad" tag.

Last edited:
•••
I understand that GD have other priorities different that domainers priorities, however what they are doing in search algorithms is not benefiting them or us or customers. A customer must find most relevant domain names in top of search results to maximize sell through rate, showing Ads before exact match is very bad for both Godaddy and sellers.

Last edited:
•••
•••
All my new domains are never added to Fast Transfer. I have to call Afternic monthly to ask for a reset.

Also, some will be stuck in pending forever unless I call, for no reason (nothing bad with them).
I found that if I have lower prices the fast transfer happens fast. It also gets it approved. I think their goal is to sell names and prices they feel are too high get less priority.

•••
I found that if I have lower prices the fast transfer happens fast. It also gets it approved. I think their goal is to sell names and prices they feel are too high get less priority.

Doesn't work the same for me, it happens regardless of price.

•••
Just to throw my $0.02 in since I just read through this thread.

From my personal experience the stream of Afternic sales we have been receiving for years generally had nothing to do with Afternic/GD Auctions - but their partner registrars and mainly Godaddy's registrar path.

With the recent shift at GD to promote the new extensions and their adoption (over defaulting to .com as king) - your domain will not be found unless the end user does an exact type in of your domain. They no longer see many similar domains in .com, but a list of that search phrase in multiple extensions.

With GD having such far reach with end users - it is similar to "type in" traffic you receive on your landing page, except people default to going to Godaddy and typing it in to see if it is available. They see the option to buy the domain from the aftermarket and some make the purchase.

I personally do not believe the auction cycle has anything to do with when you make a sale. 99% of users aren't going to GD auctions to search, but as I said typing your domain in their domain registration input box.

So can we buy an ad for our domains too.
Not to my knowledge. These are new extensions that Godaddy is selling from the registry.

•••
Just to throw my $0.02 in since I just read through this thread.

From my personal experience the stream of Afternic sales we have been receiving for years generally had nothing to do with Afternic/GD Auctions - but their partner registrars and mainly Godaddy's registrar path.

With the recent shift at GD to promote the new extensions and their adoption (over defaulting to .com as king) - your domain will not be found unless the end user does an exact type in of your domain. They no longer see many similar domains in .com, but a list of that search phrase in multiple extensions.

With GD having such far reach with end users - it is similar to "type in" traffic you receive on your landing page, except people default to going to Godaddy and typing it in to see if it is available. They see the option to buy the domain from the aftermarket and some make the purchase.

I personally do not believe the auction cycle has anything to do with when you make a sale. 99% of users aren't going to GD auctions to search, but as I said typing your domain in their domain registration input box.

Not to my knowledge. These are new extensions that Godaddy is selling from the registry.

Bad news indeed.

•••
Have not finished reading thread just wanted to throw out there

I too have had 0 sales/ inquires on Afternic since the end of summer ( 3 months) even with using their ns3/ns4

(Note: I made 3 sales during summer on Afternic)

I even dropped some expireies down to $99, still resulted in 0 sales.

I have xxx, xxxx, & xxxxx listings, it varies

Last edited:
•••

As far as I know If the domains are priced above 99k or so they don't qualify for fast transfer.

I haven't had any sales at afternic, but I did get 3 price requests from them in the past month or so (most likely were from resellers).

My portfolio is around 200 domains which I am probably going to trim down to between 100 to 150 in the near future. As I hand register new domains I let some of the less quality domains drop so that my portfolio stays the same size all the time, but is constantly growing in quality. My asking prices are usually very high as I want to hang on to my domains as long as I can as a collector, if I happen to sell one it has to be for a life changing amount.

I am hoping that all the updates and improvements that are currently being done at Godaddy and Afternic will make things better for everyone so for now I am just going to wait and see.

The price requests were for:

5gCompany * .com
PaGlasses * .com
VaccineNearMe * .com

IMO

Last edited:
•••
We need daddy and he knows that. They are the competition imo. Bad Bad
Can you please type "e-cars" with a hyphen and send the screenshot
From Canada, the .ca showed up first as taken
then .bet .fyi .pigeonshit
Your name even on the map
Canada-English CAD

USA-English e-cars.com is available 20k offer shows first

No names at godaddy. No sales at afternic for 6 months. last was .ca domain

•••
•••
I understand that GD have other priorities different that domainers priorities, however what they are doing in search algorithms is not benefiting them or us or customers. A customer must find most relevant domain names in top of search results to maximize sell through rate, showing Ads before exact match is very bad for both Godaddy and sellers.
How do you know it's not benefitting them? No one knows how much they make from those AD placements. For GoDaddy, it's just business. If there was no benefit, they won't do it

•••
im not sure why they would mess with their own income

you would think GD would make more commission on a $x,xxx sale than they would on a $.99 hand register.

•••
Maybe some behind the scenes activities taking place?
im not sure why they would mess with their own income

you would think GD would make more commission on a $x,xxx sale than they would on a $.99 hand register.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back