Dynadot

.io Stop using .IO Domain Names for Production Traffic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Nikul Sanghvi

hypernames.coVIP Member
Impact
Interesting perspective on potential DNS issues with .IO domains. In theory, there are multiple TLDs that could be prone to the same problems but they seem to be more prevalent on .IO

https://getstream.io/blog/stop-using-io-domain-names-for-production-traffic/

'Domain resolution is one of the backbone services of the Internet. It’s something we typically spend very little time thinking about. Of course, that changes when it breaks. Over the past year, IO domain outages have been the number one reason our customers couldn’t use Stream. Specifically, the outage on September 20th, 2017 turned out to be a major headache. This article will go into the details behind the .IO domain name reliability issues and how we’re working around them.'

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What a shame, especially when the registration and renewal fees are like $30.

•••
As I know, .IO recently migrated to Afilias backend...
So their DNS resolution is the same as for .PRO/.org/.info/.me/.in etc.
The same infrastructure.

•••
•••
The same infrastructure.

Mike Carson of Park.io makes a similar point in the first comment on the article. Hopefully that means these types of DNS issues are a thing of the past. Still worth bearing in mind for all other extensions which aren't managed by reliable operators, there is risk in building production sites/APIs on them.

I was also surprised to read in the article that (before .IO moved across to Afilias), the NIC.io support team could only be reached by phone during a few hours each morning (UTC time). That's a pretty high risk for any business that is dependant on a functioning website.

•••
The same infrastructure.

I was planning to say the very same thing.

One year ago things were very different for .io domains.

•••
One year ago things were very different for .io domains.

The outage in reference on the article is from this year - 20th Sept 2017. Potentially a teething issue from the migration itself.

•••
The outage in reference on the article is from this year - 20th Sept 2017. Potentially a teething issue from the migration itself.

Seems likely

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back