Dynadot

.tv STEAM.tv - Big buck competitor to TWITCH.tv

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just read an interesting story in c/net that reports that a test feed from Steam.tv accidentally went public for a short while and looks to be a big bucks competitor to one of the most popular websites on the planet - Twitch.tv

https://www.cnet.com/news/steam-tv-is-live-and-it-appears-to-be-valves-twitch-competitor/

I really have no idea whether this will be able to compete with Twitch.tv - which was sold to Amazon for $970 million four years ago - but it does show that .tv is now firmly embedded in the mindset of silicon valley as well as the world of gamers and the regular crowd of TV/film companies

Will it affect your .TV resale value? Probably not, but I always think a rising tide does lift all boats.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Valve certainly has the money to do this.

•••
I didn't realise VALVE were quite as billion dollar as they are. Wow!

If they are chucking money into the Steam.tv site then this might end up being 'quite a big thing'. I really like the idea of two massive .tv sites going head to head.

Just checked in wikipedia and see that Twitch.tv is the 32nd most visited site on the planet - ahead of Bing.com LinkedIn.com and even eBay.com

•••
EXTRA INFO

Maybe there are also other players also entering the world of game streaming.

I just did a quick check and found GAME.tv site quite interesting

•••
Esports have become big business, boom dot tv is another streaming platform.

•••
Interestingly, Valve Corp does not Valve.com or Steam.com. At least, they should have acquired Steam.com. They currently use SteamPowered.com!!

Also, they lost a UDRP in 2005. The disputed domain name was Valve.com.
On December 9, 2004, the Respondent contacted the Complainant by email, indicating that the disputed domain name was for sale, and inquiring whether the Complainant would have any interest in acquiring the domain name. On December 10, 2004, the Complainant responded by email, expressing an interest in the domain name. In a subsequent email communication on December 29, 2004, the Respondent offered to sell the disputed domain name to the Complainant for the sum of $235,000.00. In connection with this asking price, the Respondent observed that domain name was identical to the Complainant’s mark, and stated that he was in communication with at least one of the Complainant’s competitors, who had expressed an interest in acquiring the domain name.5

The Respondent indicated that he should be concluding discussions with other parties regarding the sale of the domain name by mid-January 2005, and requested a response from the Complainant before then. According to the Respondent, the Complainant offered to purchase the domain name on December 30, 2004, for the sum of $5,000.00. The Complaint in this matter subsequently was filed with the Center on January12,�2005, and appears to have been the first notice to the Respondent of this dispute.

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2005/d2005-0038.html

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back