IT.COM

STATE OF THE NEW G'S

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

STATE OF THE NEW G'S - After nearly 3 years of the New G's, are they where they should be?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • No, they remain behind schedule

votes
    58.1%
  • Yes, they are continuing to progress

votes
    41.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
The current STATE OF THE NEW G'S is good!...or is it?

After nearly 3 years into the introduction of New G's there remains:
* Very low 'End User' usage
* Very little aftermarket activity
* Declining inquiries
* Inconsistent registry changes affecting drops, renewals and pricing
* Little to none public awareness

In conclusion, the current STATE OF THE NEW G'S is not good.

(Disclaimer: I am a proponent and investor of New G's, but I tend to have a REALIST view of things)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Please do a conclusive in-depth study. I would love to see what you define as "conclusive" and "in-depth".I hope it's better than your last comparison ;)

Sure no problem, you going to pay me $5000 for my time?

•••
lol. You are not going to pay each other to do a study.. Let's be realistic :)

Lol.. For $5000 I would outsource the study for $3000 and pocket the $2000 :)

•••
Because I live in Europe, and I am in a good position to observe the European market(s).
Local extensions are dominant and often preferred to .com (but .com is OK too).

Please understand that I am not a 'commie' with blinders on, I invest in ccTLDs too.

Just talk to real people, for example relatives, clients, coworkers. Show them some magazines where you see advertising for new extensions. Ask simple, neutral questions like:
  • What do you think ? Are they cool or not ?
  • Would you use one for your next business venture ?
  • What if we used one for our next campaign ?
  • etc
What I have observed so far is not downright hostility but indifference.
Some TLDs sure are silly, when I told a colleague that .lol is a real extension - he lolled. What he must be thinking is that those strings are funny but not for serious projects.

Domain hacks are not mainstream at all. More like gadgets. There are few well-know sites on domain hacks, and the most prominent ones have migrated to better names.
To clarify, when I talk about ccTLDs, I mean used in their natural markets, not as domains hacks

I've read this many times on NP. The young generation is supposedly going to drive the gTLD revolution.
How is that going to happen ? The popular sites that the young use today are all on .com or ccTLDs.
IMO it's wishful thinking, and not going to happen by magic.
If you have kids, ask them what they think.

To sum up in once sentence it could go like this:
"OK, new TLDs are not gaining much ground today, but there's hope so let's keep moving the goalposts and hope it will be alright".
Instead, the question I would be asking is why they aren't getting a warmer reception today and what would it take to change the situation.

I think the argument is flawed to some extent. Because pricing isn't the single issue, TLDs are more than mere technical identifiers, they are brands. End users pay for brand recognition. Just like they will pay for shiny offices on Main Street, even though they could get equally functional offices on Slum Alley for a fraction of the price (you guess it: some potential customers are reluctant to go shopping on Slum Alley).

Nonetheless, many domains have been registered in new extensions for pennies.
I think that it's not business lost to domainers, because end users buying regfee domains had no intention to pay a premium anyway.
People always have options available if they want to avoid domainers. The supply of domain names is virtually infinite. Quality is scarce but it's relative too. Plenty of viable domains can still be found even in .com (and ccTLDs).
End user demand is always overestimated.

The same worn out arguments.
I respect your observations of your local market. That's where we diverge. The local market is nowhere near indicative of the Global market.
commies is in reference to admirable unyielding support in favor of a specific mindset vs evolution.
In my world it's rude and unprofessional to attend a conversation you have no interest in beyond a negative view. If you would like to start your own threads and publish facts in favor of your position that would be great!
Real people? LOL
Sorry, most of my time is spent in Silicon Valley, working with defense contractors, life sciences, tech companies, retail, health care, and start ups. In my spare time I have immersed myself in New Gen advanced studies competitions, non-profit board positions, product creation and life long studies of other cultures.
Just 2 weeks ago while talking with my personal banker she mentioned looking for a domain for their side business. She said they gave up "because everything they wanted was gone" After we talked about all of the new extensions available they now have the domain they wanted in a New "G".
A few years ago after talking with one of my clients, they decided to get their own extension. A long time conservative giant.

The New Gens are frikin awesome. They blow the doors off all of the generations before them. Big mistake if you think you know
how they "should" proceed. Unlike Steve Jobs, they don't need acid to see beyond ;)

I suppose when I talk about the New "G"s in my neighborhood it would reasonable to assume I get a very different response.
Ground Zero. Nice perk. Copious amounts of people from all over the world. No shortage of diverse opinions. :)
Slum Alley in my neighborhood produces a significant amount of new products and companies. We embrace any available space !

Momentum is building. I've seen it enough times to trust it. Timing is another factor. Near perfect time in the business cycle short of economic or political intervention. The state of New "G"s are doing just fine. No way are they going away. No way will they fade into the shadows of the legacies or country codes. They will coexist side by side. Some day "domainers" will too.

I do make every effort to back my positions so others can confirm rather than assume what they read is fact
I would greatly appreciate facts to back comments like these.
"the most prominent ones have migrated to better names."
Such broad statements without examples are just opinions suggesting fact.
talking about .lol - more absurd examples. Who wouldn't LOL at that?
Using "serious projects" - are those the only projects that count ?
It would be great if you would stop using the absurd like .LOL to "brand" an entire sector and legitimize blanket statements
You shy away from some of the more "serious" New "G" standouts. Maybe it's too early. I understand.
Lots of people won't articulate until the obvious presents. Nothing wrong with that.
In the mean time I would greatly appreciate facts that everyone can confirm and come to their own conclusions.,
Cheers

•••
ride.horse and car.racing isn't even close to ride.com or car.com
The comparison I would use is ridehorse.com and carracing.com Of course you knew that.
Cheers
Second gTLd post I agree with today. I'm on a roll ;)

•••
If we were at a bar I'd still by you all a round of drinks... Agree, or disagree...

That's my plan... Now let me buy you a drink... :)

I'd like my Martini shaken, not stirred.

•••
the nGTLDs will not become popular fast enough because people don't respond well to them.
OK Last time,
Both you and Kate argue New "G"s aren't doing well because end users don't know about them.
Now, you claim "people don't respond well to them"
Now, Kate claims " they don't like them" "wouldn't use them for "serious projects"
Which is it?

•••
In 2016 couple of my new GTLDs got offers @ mid $x,xxx & low $xx,xxx over DNS.
I believe Brokers @ DNS have decent skills, but still both Buyers backed up. Most likely found .com instead. May be, because both domains have "premium" renewals ($160/year & $80/year).

Yea premium renewals can be a killer to any ngtld sale. However there are still massive deals and innefficiences going on that people aren't waking up to.

For example, I just got a killer emd SUITSFOR.MEN until 2023 and paid like $6, because it was a dropped premium that wasn't picked up again by the registry. I'm going to max it out for another 4 years and let it sit and appreciate, all for slightly under $10. We're in the Wild West right now for NGTLDs, All you gotta do is stay bold and keep vigilant my friend.

Last edited:
•••
I'd like my Martini shaken, not stirred.

you can have a lager.beer for $2.4k/year

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=lager.beer&search=

I had hoped that at least a warm.beer would be cheaper. not really. $2.4k/year.

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=warm.beer&search=

Ok.. trying a cheap.vodka. $240. Still too much.

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=cheap.vodka&search=

At least inexpensive.beer is affordable with $96/year.

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=inexpensive.beer&search=

Nonalcoholic.beer is probably cheap enough but someone was faster than me.

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=nonalcoholic.beer&search=

what remains for me is a stale.beer for $29. :(

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=stale.beer&search=

•••
Great debate here. Thanks to all. It's been mentioned that "time is running out."...I completely agree and I can't emphasize the importance of that statement enough. The greatest attribute the New G's has is INNOVATION. It's value to end user's is INNOVATION, but it has gone grossly unnoticed and unused. The instant WOW factor is going away, if not gone already. If they can't penetrate into mainstream soon, it will be a slow and painful decline. Many people feel that decline is already happening. Some people are saying, "give it 5-10 years" and it will be mainstream. Usually that is the registry network saying such to keep the income stream. Simply, the adoption rate can't be compared to .com as at that time the internet was exploding concurrently.

The largest industry auction is happening at Namescon, ironically it is sponsored by multiple New G registries. The auction, regarding New G's, will be a complete failure. There is only several names that may sell for anything decent, further showing that the aftermarket and demand is beyond dismal. In the auction, the New G's will not come close to comparing with .com and this is after three years of penetration. At this time there is NOTHING to show that the New G's are gaining penetration or momentum, in fact all signs show they are in decline. Again, this should have been the best three years due to being INNOVATIVE...Something has to happen soon or it's game over...Reality is a tough pill to swallow and I am beginning to digest it...

•••
ICANN is to blame, IMO, for this slow start. ICANN could use every hundred million they've collected from these new G's to raise awareness about them. That would put new G's on the global stage.

•••
Travel. Agency sold for $3000 at the Namescon auction. It sold for $9999 several months ago. That is a loss of more than $7000 dollars after commission. This was the best New G in the auction in my opinion and is an indicator of tough times ahead for the New G's....

•••
the gtld names for sale were sub par this year , the travel.agency name has been shopped around for over a year. Good names weren't offered and it was a predominantly .com venue ... Very few of the larger gtld investors even went to namescon. Monte always does a good job of having a high sell through rate. Most gtld investors didn't want or plan to try and sell the better names on this platform.

We get offers every day on ours . We have over a 20k sale to report in the next few days.
A high sell through rate is not an indication of a good or successful auction. It means, in this case, there were many domains with no reserves or low reserves. This usually benefits the auction house, but not the sellers. It is also not good, long term, for the domain industry as it weakens all comparables....There were very good domains submitted and rejected as it did not fit their agenda...

•••
I agree with you on the sell through comment 100 percent , I didn't put any my names up at all as I could see it wasn't then platform for me.

A junk auction could have a high sell through rate and an auction house selling high end antiques could have a low sell through rate . Both have their place .

This auction was aimed at .com crowd with a high sell through as an intention . Just wasn't for us as a sales platform.

•••
Seems to be more registry/registrar activity in shifting strategies. Replacing management. Layoffs. Selling assets. Pulling premium rates. Listing premium reserve names at Sedo, Afternic and the like (news to me until recently). Offering payment terms. 99 cent sales.

Last edited:
•••
Seems to be more registry/registrar activity in shifting strategies. Replacing management. Layoffs. Selling assets. Pulling premium rates. Listing premium reserve names at Sedo, Afternic and the like (news to me until recently). Offering payment terms. 99 cent sales.
All signs of a failing floundering business, desperate to find a model that works in the face of not enough end user demand to sustain it. Just domain speculators keeping this whole experiment afloat at the moment. OK a few will win but 98% will take a haircut investing in these gTLDs

•••
In what world do supply and price increase simultaneously?

•••
The release of new gtlds is a step in the evolution of humankind. Believing that will fail is like believing that VR will fail or the colonization of Solar System will fail.

•••
There will be one off sales where registries did not price some keyword as premium that actually made sense and did not have some ridiculous renewal. But if you look at the swelling registration stats and assume at least 80% perhaps 90% of nTLDs are domainer held, obviously we do not have enough aftermarket activity to pay renewals. Again, 1% turn with $10 renewals and 20% marketplace commissions needs a $1250 sale to breakeven. Many nTLDs have higher renewals. But if there are 20-24 million aftermarket nTLDs, where are the four thousand WEEKLY nTLD sales on DNJ?
Good points.
A mistake is assuming an instant aftermarket. Aftermarkets have 3 components. Users + Investors + Time. As you pointed out there is no aftermarket. The legacy "aftermarket" didn't exist for 15+ years after launch. It won't take as long for the New "G"s
simply because the foundation exists.

"1% turn with $10 renewals and 20% marketplace commissions needs a $1250 sale to break even."
That only addresses one type of investor.
If that's the market you invest in and assume how long of a hold?
A lot of "investors" flip fast for much less cost and a decent profit.
"investors" in the middle risk the time factor of the aftermarket that is more in line with your cost suggestion.
An even smaller pool of "investors" play the long view.
It wasn't that long ago when number domains were worthless until china showed up yet "investors" paid 10-15+ years reg fees on "worthless domains" at the buy.

With parking revenues dead, slow churn for mid range domains, investors may have to do more as TopShelfDomains and others have suggested develop, or be willing to pay for the wait.
Most high profile sales have significant hold times associated. So it's going to cost more in today's market. Factor it in and decide if it's worth the risk.

" Many nTLDs have higher renewals".

Seriously misleading. I can say with near certainty 90% of the 20+ million New "G"s don't have reg fees higher than 100.00 and "many" are within the same range of country code tlds. 15-30.
reg fees for legacies were at 100 at one time too. There is nothing wrong with testing the market for price resistance points. In fact lowering reg fees for legacies is what helped fuel today's aftermarket. YES?
More stable consistent pricing will come with time.
The profit is in the initial buy. It's rare to be able to purchase 10-15 years later a now valuable domain for even close to 10x reg. fee.
Yes the cost is going to be higher just like everything else on the planet.

Huston.com is an example of producing income with minimal development. It may be even more profitable than an outright sale over time.

With all of the changing developments around domains what is clear: It's no longer a "passive" endeavor,.

Happy Hunting

•••
There is no reason to compare .com and it's adoption rate to the New G's. At the time .coms were affordable or unknown, not that many people had the internet or were even aware of the internet. Today billions of people have the internet and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't know about it. For that reason comparing .com and it's adoption rate to the New G's is a non variable.....As for my names, I have no lack of quality. My names are end user grade. Computer. Technology, Home. Services, Internet. Systems and more...

Personally, I would consider you a valuable Gtld investor ! But you and I both know how many names are out there with a lack of quality ! It's almost ambarassing to see the horrendous amount of junk Gtlds ... It makes change difficult !

•••
•••
sorry, for some reason the addons started freaking out and that's how it loaded

the chart is to symbolize the rise in interest when gtld is given the chance

Attachments

• Gold_price_history_INR.jpg
    Gold_price_history_INR.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 69
•••
•••
.buzz extension was put on the market, did it sell, did it even get a bid?

The issue with .buzz was when it was hot back in 2014, the registry hoarded all the registrations, by the time they got their act together, everyone was drowning in to many other extensions to give .buzz a second look.

•••
•••
The registries behind these new extensions have put a ton of money into them and are not going to give up so easily.

I think 95% - 98% will disappear within the next 5 to 8 years.

Dot coms aside, very few will be as successful as dot nets, orgs and the other old school extensions.

If the big players like Godaddy keep advertising them and putting them in their registration path this will move things along quicker.

It will take more time though.

Hard to tell at this point.

Could be 3 - 5 years for some.

Could be 10.

I think the buyers for these new tld's will be younger, newer users who don't have a strong connection to the older extensions.

Older folks who were weaned on dot com, org, etc. since the beginning, will feel less sure about the new gtld's, at least for a while.

Once they catch on this will slowly change.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back