IT.COM

STATE OF THE NEW G'S

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

STATE OF THE NEW G'S - After nearly 3 years of the New G's, are they where they should be?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • No, they remain behind schedule

votes
    58.1%
  • Yes, they are continuing to progress

votes
    41.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
The current STATE OF THE NEW G'S is good!...or is it?

After nearly 3 years into the introduction of New G's there remains:
* Very low 'End User' usage
* Very little aftermarket activity
* Declining inquiries
* Inconsistent registry changes affecting drops, renewals and pricing
* Little to none public awareness

In conclusion, the current STATE OF THE NEW G'S is not good.

(Disclaimer: I am a proponent and investor of New G's, but I tend to have a REALIST view of things)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the gtld names for sale were sub par this year , the travel.agency name has been shopped around for over a year. Good names weren't offered and it was a predominantly .com venue ... Very few of the larger gtld investors even went to namescon. Monte always does a good job of having a high sell through rate. Most gtld investors didn't want or plan to try and sell the better names on this platform.

We get offers every day on ours . We have over a 20k sale to report in the next few days.

•••
the gtld names for sale were sub par this year , the travel.agency name has been shopped around for over a year. Good names weren't offered and it was a predominantly .com venue ... Very few of the larger gtld investors even went to namescon. Monte always does a good job of having a high sell through rate. Most gtld investors didn't want or plan to try and sell the better names on this platform.

We get offers every day on ours . We have over a 20k sale to report in the next few days.
A high sell through rate is not an indication of a good or successful auction. It means, in this case, there were many domains with no reserves or low reserves. This usually benefits the auction house, but not the sellers. It is also not good, long term, for the domain industry as it weakens all comparables....There were very good domains submitted and rejected as it did not fit their agenda...

•••
I agree with you on the sell through comment 100 percent , I didn't put any my names up at all as I could see it wasn't then platform for me.

A junk auction could have a high sell through rate and an auction house selling high end antiques could have a low sell through rate . Both have their place .

This auction was aimed at .com crowd with a high sell through as an intention . Just wasn't for us as a sales platform.

•••
Actually I wouldn't be as confident as u pu are regarding leads being contacted. I had a couple names listed and then taken down due to no interest.. however when I asked if they were taking them off permanently this was their response:

"Yes Sorry. there has been no interest, no bids, no inquiries. You also have not sent me any inquiries or email offers for it which means its just not in demand yet."

Well... I sent them an inquiry contact when they asked the first time. I guess it got overlooked.

Thanks for posting this. Demonstrates the level of effort you get for 30% brokerage fee. They left out "We didn't market it either".
Cheers

•••
Its been 3 years and the results are in:-
Spammers 10 points
Registry(s) 10 points
ICANN 10 points
Registrars 8 points
Domainiers 1 point

Its a disaster for most domainers, some will do OK but even they dont share their holding costs, so hard to judge,
Also the often touted one off sale to prove its a vibrant aftermarket doesn't cut it; just because you see one person get hit by a car on the sidewalk doesnt mean you start walking along the highway.
And Frank Shilling followers are starting to look like a cult and are exhibiting the behavior of all cults, denial in the face of reality.

•••
Seems to be more registry/registrar activity in shifting strategies. Replacing management. Layoffs. Selling assets. Pulling premium rates. Listing premium reserve names at Sedo, Afternic and the like (news to me until recently). Offering payment terms. 99 cent sales.

Last edited:
•••
Seems to be more registry/registrar activity in shifting strategies. Replacing management. Layoffs. Selling assets. Pulling premium rates. Listing premium reserve names at Sedo, Afternic and the like (news to me until recently). Offering payment terms. 99 cent sales.
All signs of a failing floundering business, desperate to find a model that works in the face of not enough end user demand to sustain it. Just domain speculators keeping this whole experiment afloat at the moment. OK a few will win but 98% will take a haircut investing in these gTLDs

•••
In what world do supply and price increase simultaneously?

•••
The release of new gtlds is a step in the evolution of humankind. Believing that will fail is like believing that VR will fail or the colonization of Solar System will fail.

•••
I believe in long-term investments but not those that materialize long after your death :xf.smile:

•••
I believe in long-term investments but not those that materialize long after your death :xf.smile:

Gotta love it Kate. Straight to the point. Right as usual. :)

•••

I used to work for a large bookmaker in the UK.

We once took a bet on the world ending.

•••
I used to work for a large bookmaker in the UK.

We once took a bet on the world ending.
Dead cert, of course it will. and then his martian prodigy collects his winnings in another Ladbrokes.

Last edited:
•••
new gtlds is a step in the evolution of humankind
look forward to seeing the new gTLDs being shown as a step in our evolution between the opposable thumbs and gene selection.

•••
There will be one off sales where registries did not price some keyword as premium that actually made sense and did not have some ridiculous renewal. But if you look at the swelling registration stats and assume at least 80% perhaps 90% of nTLDs are domainer held, obviously we do not have enough aftermarket activity to pay renewals. Again, 1% turn with $10 renewals and 20% marketplace commissions needs a $1250 sale to breakeven. Many nTLDs have higher renewals. But if there are 20-24 million aftermarket nTLDs, where are the four thousand WEEKLY nTLD sales on DNJ?

•••
But if there are 20-24 million aftermarket nTLDs, where are the four thousand WEEKLY nTLD sales on DNJ?

Good point - if we have 110 million .coms compared to 25 million gTLDs then we should see about 20% gTLDs aftermarket sales, forgetting value just volume. Unsustainable

•••
There will be one off sales where registries did not price some keyword as premium that actually made sense and did not have some ridiculous renewal. But if you look at the swelling registration stats and assume at least 80% perhaps 90% of nTLDs are domainer held, obviously we do not have enough aftermarket activity to pay renewals. Again, 1% turn with $10 renewals and 20% marketplace commissions needs a $1250 sale to breakeven. Many nTLDs have higher renewals. But if there are 20-24 million aftermarket nTLDs, where are the four thousand WEEKLY nTLD sales on DNJ?

OR develop some nTLDs to pay for renewals

•••
•••

As Fancy.domains proved, they materialize very much in short time.

•••

Kate, read my Facebook wall and you'll learn how to live forever.

Adrian Andreiadis

•••
Remember .Mobi success?

no?

Let's create thousands of new extensions that nobody wants!

IMO there is only room for 5 top SHORT tlds... In a mobile world we need SHORT domains! only short tlds can survive..

•••
Remember .Mobi success?

no?

Let's create thousands of new extensions that nobody wants!

IMO there is only room for 5 top SHORT tlds... In a mobile world we need SHORT domains! only short tlds can survive..
Plenty of options before this dump of extensions. See you have Xavier.xyz, only seen one website with .xyz in the real world, it was a pop up redirect I immediately panicked and closed it down thinking it could be nasty. #nastydomains will be everyones experience with xyz; same with the rest of the whoring freeminimum ntlds

•••
Plenty of options before this dump of extensions. See you have Xavier.xyz, only seen one website with .xyz in the real world, it was a pop up redirect I immediately panicked and closed it down thinking it could be nasty. #nastydomains will be everyones experience with xyz; same with the rest of the whoring freeminimum ntlds

I have seen more .xyz site than any other ngtlds

https://gen.xyz/live

•••
Good points.
A mistake is assuming an instant aftermarket. Aftermarkets have 3 components. Users + Investors + Time. As you pointed out there is no aftermarket. The legacy "aftermarket" didn't exist for 15+ years after launch. It won't take as long for the New "G"s
simply because the foundation exists.

"1% turn with $10 renewals and 20% marketplace commissions needs a $1250 sale to break even."
That only addresses one type of investor.
If that's the market you invest in and assume how long of a hold?
A lot of "investors" flip fast for much less cost and a decent profit.
"investors" in the middle risk the time factor of the aftermarket that is more in line with your cost suggestion.
An even smaller pool of "investors" play the long view.
It wasn't that long ago when number domains were worthless until china showed up yet "investors" paid 10-15+ years reg fees on "worthless domains" at the buy.

With parking revenues dead, slow churn for mid range domains, investors may have to do more as TopShelfDomains and others have suggested develop, or be willing to pay for the wait.
Most high profile sales have significant hold times associated. So it's going to cost more in today's market. Factor it in and decide if it's worth the risk.

" Many nTLDs have higher renewals".

Seriously misleading. I can say with near certainty 90% of the 20+ million New "G"s don't have reg fees higher than 100.00 and "many" are within the same range of country code tlds. 15-30.
reg fees for legacies were at 100 at one time too. There is nothing wrong with testing the market for price resistance points. In fact lowering reg fees for legacies is what helped fuel today's aftermarket. YES?
More stable consistent pricing will come with time.
The profit is in the initial buy. It's rare to be able to purchase 10-15 years later a now valuable domain for even close to 10x reg. fee.
Yes the cost is going to be higher just like everything else on the planet.

Huston.com is an example of producing income with minimal development. It may be even more profitable than an outright sale over time.

With all of the changing developments around domains what is clear: It's no longer a "passive" endeavor,.

Happy Hunting

•••
The G's are not new how is .biz, .us, .co, .name, .info doing.

I can get some amazing names in .co, only crappy thing is nobody wants them, and I have to pay $25 to renew them.

I had an small business make a play for a nice .com, the .co was available, I asked him why he doesn't just take that as he was at like $500, which was not going to happen, he says he only wants .com, so there you have it. Majority of end users are more willing to deviate for something .com, than hit their bang on keyword in something else.

#NotWorkingForTheRegistries

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back