IT.COM

sales Startup Raises More ($19 million) and Buys Less.com

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Less.png
TechCrunch reported on a $19 million funding round for a startup called Less, “a ride-sharing service for commuters and other short distance rides.” The company was founded by Jean-Baptiste Rudelle, who reportedly founded “one of the most successful French startups,” Criteo. Smartly, Less is using the perfect domain name for this venture: Less.com...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So a startup for a website where hundreds of them already exist, bit of an idiotic idea i think.

•••
So a startup for a website where hundreds of them already exist, bit of an idiotic idea i think.
those investor pouring 19 million seems to be more idiotic LOL

•••
•••
This is a perfect case of appropriate domain name adding value to brand

•••
Interesting that the company seems to be at this stage operating entirely in French (website + social media) and chose an English language domain. But I guess that shows the power of great one word .coms - especially if you have global ambitions.

•••
I would guess the business name came After securing the domain. Domains do rule. As in #domaincracy

•••
Now the company will be worth less.

•••
This is a perfect case of appropriate domain name adding value to brand
I disagree, it's just a waste of money. If you polled 99% of people, they have never heard of this startup. It takes more than just a one word name to make a brand. Google spent $12 on their domain and is one of the most well known brands in the world.

•••
I disagree, it's just a waste of money. If you polled 99% of people, they have never heard of this startup. It takes more than just a one word name to make a brand. Google spent $12 on their domain and is one of the most well known brands in the world.

I'm not talking about as to how popular this startup is because of domain. I'm saying that a domain like "Less.com" is very accurate for a company promising less payment for “a ride-sharing service for commuters and other short distance rides.”

Google may have spent $12 on their domain registration, but even since had to spend Billions to establish their brand. This is because "Google" is inspired from "Googol" & a normal person has no idea as to what that is.

this is not the case with "Less" & hence the company would save substantially in the long run (for Brand establishment)

•••
There was once a little company called NutsOnline.com which did pretty good for itself. It was a small-mid sized ecommerce site selling nuts, berries, small candies on the internet. One day in 2012 they decide to take the plunge and invest in www.Nuts.com and now they are a huge multi-million dollar company with an absolutely iconic name. It's amazing how a name can completely change a business. Take a look at the story of what happened with Monday.com!

•••
•••

tell that Amazon.com

•••
•••
I disagree, it's just a waste of money. If you polled 99% of people, they have never heard of this startup.
Well, maybe now people will get more familiar with the brand thanks to this upgrade. But it is a French business, so it may be normal you have not heard about them.

It takes more than just a one word name to make a brand.
At least, a good name is a start. When you have a good name, it gives you a big credibility boost and promotes your business. If you have a bad name, it is the opposite: your business must promote its domain name. I prefer a domain name that works for me...

I can't see how this is a waste of money, it is an asset that can be liquidated in the future, if their plans change or do not pan out as expected. A good domain name is an asset that can be resold.

Google spent $12 on their domain and is one of the most well known brands in the world.
In 1997, 20 years ago, totally different era. There was a lot more choice back then. You could still hand reg LLL.com.
I mean, every premium domain has been a handreg once.

•••
We domainers should welcome newly funded startups that need expensive domain names.

•••
Well, maybe now people will get more familiar with the brand thanks to this upgrade. But it is a French business, so it may be normal you have not heard about them.

At least, a good name is a start. When you have a good name, it gives you a big credibility boost and promotes your business. If you have a bad name, it is the opposite: your business must promote its domain name. I prefer a domain name that works for me...

I can't see how this is a waste of money, it is an asset that can be liquidated in the future, if their plans change or do not pan out as expected. A good domain name is an asset that can be resold.

In 1997, 20 years ago, totally different era. There was a lot more choice back then. You could still hand reg LLL.com.
I mean, every premium domain has been a handreg once.

He's a :troll: just trying to rile people up.

•••
1. investors are not wasting money. The guy offers a niche and fraction of multi-billion business. He will focus on short distance commutes for LESS and LESS.com is a perfect name for that.

2. Less.com is a fantastic, short, easy to remember and spell brand for any budget business. Kind of like Budget.com for rentals. Less.com would be an amazing name for an online or even offline store.

•••
There is nothing cool about "Less.com".

- Is it a dictionary word... yes
- Is it 3 characters.... yes
- Do it sound like a "household" brandable name equipped for future..... No! Not a chance

Last edited:
•••
Back