IT.COM

new gtlds Data.world gets $19 million funding

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
data-world-sign.jpg
Austin, Texas-based Data.world has snagged $19 million in funding, bringing its total capital raised to $32.7 million.
The company bills itself as a “social network for data people.” It was founded by Brett Hurt, who previously founded Bazaarvoice...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
.world is one of my fav.

•••
This gTLD doesn't look dead!

•••
too long, .LTD is a natural for professional terms since most professionals are some form of a LTD

.world, way too long

but it's better than most

as to data.world sounds like tech investors are getting bored and throwing money at anything now

•••
•••
Counting the letters in a extension is not the most clever thing. Try to understand the entire keyword, and this "Data World" has a meaning. In the current state of the social life when information is all a person needs and appreciates (think about Facebook and Twitter, that in fact are just data aggregators, they gather the data from some users and disseminate it to others), creating a service around the world's data that involves a lot of fresh information is still a viable idea.

•••
I don't see data fitting well with this tld

as to .world it's an okay tld for maybe Org's involved in 'world' movements

I don't see any tech company using it to do a big tech project

30 mill is still a tiny startup for 'tech' especially with AI and robotics and stuff

now .tech and .net and a bunch of other tld's fit data way better

heck .technology would be better
.system
.company

and those are longer

so long tld with no connection to tech and data

my opinion but what the heck they're on 3rd round seed now

10 is 1st round
20 is 2nd round

so some 'investors' with goofy money like it

great for them

•••
Why do you think that a company should take LTD for their domain? Even if they are in the tech sector? Try to think more abstract, and understand that sometimes creative brands worth more and are more interesting for users than just simple, plain names.

Let's get back to Facebook and Twitter... If Facebook was "TheElectronicChatPage.net" and Twitter "ShortMessageService.info", would you use and remember them? I doubt this...

From their site I understand that they are creating a raw data sharing service that allows people to share, use and analyze multiple data sources for investigations, researches or scientific works.

I've already worked with such a service, even if it was a state funded one. In my country there is platform where all governmental agencies upload raw data from their databases. Journalists and even simple population love this platform because they can find who won the state tenders or how many tenders a company won in the last years, how many companies a person has founded, etc.

I have already told this, information is the most valuable asset in the present, so being able to analyze raw data from different sources allows a person to make decisions and win.

•••
I don't see data fitting well with this tld

as to .world it's an okay tld for maybe Org's involved in 'world' movements
Then a lot of companies made bad decisions when choosing their name. Seaworld, Disney World, Runners World, etc.
I am not saying I like this tld, but I disagree it only makes sense for companies involved in 'world'.
Besides data.world, I can think of several pretty useful names such as Legal.world, tech.world, miss.world, yoga.world etc etc.
It could fit into a marketing campaign. Yoga.ltd is completely useless for that same marketing campaign.

•••
My first email address goes back over 40 years to a think tank
The concept of the net was
.edu
.gov
.net
.org
later
.com

every new tld is an offshoot of the concept of .com or COMmercial use

if you think .world is a great COMmercial use, reg in it

I'll take .LTD since there's MILLIONS of LTD's in the business world and a handful of companies with 'world' in their name

Just like I'll take .INC since there's MILLIONS of INC's in the business world as well

.world is not a commercial term to the magnitude of INC or LTD
.love is not
.dating is not
.whatever is not a fit for MILLIONS of anything

Yet we now have .com/.ltd and eventually .inc as legit commercial use tld's

What's a .biz? oh SLANG for a BIZNESS or do you mean BUSINESS so why not .bus

Before .com there was no commercial use of .com or COM to mean commercial company

Now a lot of companies used CO before the net but .CO went to COlombia so it's not a true commercial tld

It's a fake ccTLD being used for .COmpany

Now .company looks great but guess what too long

How about TECH a slang for TECHnology, that's the future and the past 40 to 50 years

.tech great for millions of tech companies of which how many thousand are legit

.technology way too long

How about .techno for TECHNOlogy, oh crap, that's now a music genre not a commercial business

.LTD will be used by lots of companies for one reason they ARE LTD's
.INC will be used by lots of companies for one reason they ARE INC's

.com might actually start to fade some in a decade or two from ltd/inc and a few great new tld's

When you see hot new tech companies all with .tech

That could seriously dent .com

I do not see one tech company with WORLD in their name that anyone knows about

Yep, it sure was used in a couple of famous theme parks

Why not .universe or .universal we got Universal Studios theme park

Or how about .studio

Everyone living in a studio should want that

In a decade the creme de la creme will raise to the top

com/net/org established
.biz and .co and 99% of the new tld's fade
.tech/.ltd/.inc the clear winners

•••
Why do you think that a company should take LTD for their domain? Even if they are in the tech sector? Try to think more abstract, and understand that sometimes creative brands worth more and are more interesting for users than just simple, plain names.

Let's get back to Facebook and Twitter... If Facebook was "TheElectronicChatPage.net" and Twitter "ShortMessageService.info", would you use and remember them? I doubt this...

you should better compare with
face.book and snapch.at, respectively :xf.wink:

•••
you should better compare with
face.book and snapch.at, respectively :xf.wink:
No, because at the time those companies were created, new extensions didn't exist, so they could choose only from the extensions that existed at that moment.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back