Domain Empire

discuss Starting with $500, how soon can one be a full-time domainer with $5k a month?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Starting with $500, how soon can one be a full-time domainer with $5k a month income?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Not possible. More capital needed

votes
    38.5%
  • Within 1 year

votes
    6.4%
  • 1 - 2 years

votes
    2.6%
  • 2 - 4 years

votes
    12.8%
  • 4+ years

votes
    35.9%
  • Others. Please comment

votes
    3.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Talking about sustainable income here, which means, this could be seen as $60,000 per year also in another light.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
In the current market this is highly unlikely IMO, unless you bring something extraordinary to the table.

Quality inventory costs too much and the typical sell-through rate is too slow to turn a $500 investment into $5,000 a month.

Those are just wildly unrealistic expectations in my view.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I guess it's possible, but not within the first 5 years, and no more than 2-3 people from a hundred domainers will arrive there. You need a special set of skills - very good analytical ability and lots of patience (and time to learn as well).

•••
I guess it's possible, but not within the first 5 years, and no more than 2-3 people from a hundred domainers will arrive there. You need a special set of skills - very good analytical ability and lots of patience (and time to learn as well).
The better question is if I start with $500, how long will it take to break even?

It can take many years of making the right decisions to reach a real tipping point.

Sure, one random person might get some random sale just by sheer coincidence, but that is not a sustainable business model.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
IMO this can only be done by flipping 4Ls to domainers until you earn enough money to invest in domains.

But basically, all I'm saying there is that you need more money.

•••
The better question is if I start with $500, how long will it take to break even?

It can take many years of making the right decisions to reach a real tipping point.

Sure, one random person might get some random sale just by sheer coincidence, but that is not a sustainable business model.

Brad

Well, if $500 is a literal figure, and someone decides to make an experiment starting from zero knowledge in domaining and spending no $1 more than $500 - I agree, it will be extremely hard to break even in the first year.
If this digit is a bit more of a figurative number only meaning a tight/limited budget only - it's definitely possible, I'd say. Also not easy, but possible. I did it in my first year. But I spent around $3000, made around 4000 and with around 250 dot com names rolling at the end of the year. Agree, it's much more than $500, but still not out of this world digit.

•••
•••
possible in domain parking need only reg one good typein domain, what cost 9 usd and generate 5000 usd per month

•••
spoken like true clueless newbie

do u have any idea how many 100s of hours it takes to learn about parking b4 u can do what u said

•••
possible in domain parking need only reg one good typein domain, what cost 9 usd and generate 5000 usd per month
Good luck with that.

All you have to do is spend $90 and you are making $50k a month...seems plausible.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
And... very GOOD LUCK. The most important to convert $500 in $5K/month

•••
With a very good business model as need to be buying names that will sell and collect enough to have something to sell all whilst working the job that offers the $500 a month towards the spending over above cost of living. It will be a lot of work it isn't like stocks instant buyers as up to you to off load. It is easy to end up going backwards.

•••
Agree with both @bmugford and @VadimK

Its possible, in theory (just about anything is). However, don't get excited. Would I bet on you doing it if you're special, maybe. Would I bet on you doing it if you're not special, definitely not. IMO

Last edited:
•••
The only way you can speed up the process with only $500 in cash would with outbound and flipping a few names. This won't be an overnight success either. You also need to learn what people want otherwise will be a waste of time and money... Good luck

•••
How soon, the answer is 5 years,

•••
First, $500 can only buy you 10-20 average quality domains here at Namepros and elsewhere.

I'm assuming $500 is the only budget you have for the Investment? If that is the case, the only way you can make it past the first year is, if you're extremely fortunate and sell one of the domains for at least 2k within your first 12 months. If not, the whole $500 worth of domains will fall off when renewals kicks in.

•••
For most people: never. Even with infinite capital, not just 500, the answer is: never, for most people.

Domaining is not something which takes money as input and gives more money as output.

How much money and time needed to make money with adsense... 15 years ago: not much, now: not possible.
How much money and time needed to make money in cryptos: in 2017: not much. now: not easy.

I bet there are less than 1000 people who makes profit every year with domaining.

Last edited:
•••
Got any examples of that?

•••
Not even the smartest domainers can turn $500 into $5000 per month income today.
If u can, I will give you $500 and once u make it a $500 per month income, not $5000…just $500 per month income …
i will give you $5000.
You guys are talking about $500 to $5000 per month…
I am saying not even the smartest domainers here can turn $500 into $500 per month income.
People need to stop giving newbies false impossible hope about domaining.

•••
Not even the smartest domainers can turn $500 into $5000 per month income today.
If u can, I will give you $500 and once u make it a $500 per month income, not $5000…just $500 per month income …
i will give you $5000.
I am saying not even the smartest domainers here can turn $500 into $500 per month income.
I'm seriously glad to take this challenge as I'm certain I can do it. How do we proceed please?

•••
Everyone would do it if it was that easy

•••
i will give you $5000.
He didn't even say per year.

At that price point, you will be looking at purchasing one domain and flipping it for say 60k, all within one year to average 5k per month. And if by some fluke you manage to do that, don't think it's something that can be replicated on a consistent basis.

Domains are not conveyor belt products, where you can apply a, b, c to get some expected x, y, z results. I have seen domains that sold within days. I have also seen domains that took years to sell. No rhyme or reason why one sold faster than the other.

That's why the requirements for domain sales are quality, quantity and patience.

Last edited:
•••
•••
The only way you can speed up the process with only $500 in cash would with outbound and flipping a few names. This won't be an overnight success either. You also need to learn what people want otherwise will be a waste of time and money... Good luck
Even with outbound, a consistent 5k monthly from a capital of 500 is near impossible

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back