IT.COM

discuss Starting with $500, how soon can one be a full-time domainer with $5k a month?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Starting with $500, how soon can one be a full-time domainer with $5k a month income?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Not possible. More capital needed

votes
    38.5%
  • Within 1 year

votes
    6.4%
  • 1 - 2 years

votes
    2.6%
  • 2 - 4 years

votes
    12.8%
  • 4+ years

votes
    35.9%
  • Others. Please comment

votes
    3.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Talking about sustainable income here, which means, this could be seen as $60,000 per year also in another light.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My answer is never.

How many high caliber likely to sell aftermarket names can you get with $500? Very few. If you hand reg your way to the 500 your chances of selling even one for reasonable profit goes down even more.

If you just started domaining you will pick lots of bad. So no there is no way for a new domainer to turn a real profit let alone 5K per month on $500. Not enough money.

•••
what is the best paying parking co., and how do they pay ?

•••
My answer is never.

How many high caliber likely to sell aftermarket names can you get with $500? Very few. If you hand reg your way to the 500 your chances of selling even one for reasonable profit goes down even more.

If you just started domaining you will pick lots of bad. So no there is no way for a new domainer to turn a real profit let alone 5K per month on $500. Not enough money.
If I'm not making a mistake, MK, the ex from BB started with $100 in 2007-2009 and reinvested everything and now owns around 12k-15k domains, some with a 500k price tag, so it's not impossible and he is not the only one( he can confirm or deny, he is still active here). Also, excluding high caliber names, why do you think that is impossible to reg a $3 domain and sell it for $300-$800-$2000? It's happening daily for domainers and you can rinse and repeat, if you know what are you doing.

•••
in 2007-2009 and reinvested everything

In your message have the reply. In 2007-2009.... It´s not the same invest in domaining in 2007, today we are in 2022 !!

Similar to bitcoin:
If you put 500 USD in BTC in 2009 and not sell any... Today you would be rich.

Last edited:
•••
If you were treating it like a real job and spending 8 hours a day it's possible to turn $500 into $5K within the first month.

If you focused solely on US city domains that have been deleted recently.

Only buying .COM with CITYNAME+SERVICEKEYWORD.com

and putting all your time and effort into out bound marketing.

With the goal to initially register 50 domains and aggressively market them

Have a relatively low price point, like $350.

$350 x 15 domains is $5250

•••
In your message have the reply. In 2007-2009.... It´s not the same invest in domaining in 2007, today we are in 2022 !!

Similar to bitcoin:
Pretty much.

You can't take extremely unlikely outliers and think that is the standard.

Almost anything is possible, if the odds are unlikely enough. Some people turn $1 into hundreds of millions when they win the lottery. It makes more sense to look at the realistic outcomes.

Turning $500 to $60,000/year is just a highly unlikely scenario based on wildly unrealistic expectations.

I think it is safe to assume most people who ever purchased domains for investment purposes have actually lost money. Until you can break even, there is no point worrying about other scenarios.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
If you were treating it like a real job and spending 8 hours a day it's possible to turn $500 into $5K within the first month.

If you focused solely on US city domains that have been deleted recently.

Only buying .COM with CITYNAME+SERVICEKEYWORD.com

and putting all your time and effort into out bound marketing.

With the goal to initially register 50 domains and aggressively market them

Have a relatively low price point, like $350.

$350 x 15 domains is $5250

Proactively pitching domains is not nearly as effective now as it was years ago. The vast majority of people just flag the messages as spam or ignore it.

If your business model requires you to work full time and a 30% sell-through rate, I think it is going to be pretty tough to succeed.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Is it possible? Yes. People win lottery all the time.
Is it Likely? Naaaa....

But while you need some money, it is not the most important ingredient.

This is not like Index Fund investing, or even stock market when you can throw everything at the wall and wait.

99% of this business is learning how to buy right. Once you know how to buy right, then it is only matter of buying those names for the right price with a bit of patience and ass grind.

Last edited:
•••

Similar to bitcoin:
You are right, 2007 it's not the same as 2022....it's much easier now. You didn't had crypto, vr, xr, defi, dao, meta, nft and tens of other new tech waves, that you will have until 2035. Compare 2007 and 2021 namepros reported sold domains, in terms of high ROI and let me know what you have found.

Last edited:
•••
You are right, 2007 it's not the same as 2022....it's much easier now. You didn't had crypto, vr, xr, defi, dao, meta, nft and tens of other new tech waves, that you will have until 2035. Compare 2007 and 2021 namepros reported sold domains, in terms of high ROI and let me know what you have found.
Not to mention all the tools, training resources etc.

•••
Whoever thinks they can do this…
Turn $500 to $5000 per month income
Why don’t you go do it?
Let me guess, u don’t have the $500 to start with.
Simple as that…now go do it.
Good Luck!!!

•••
Let me give y’all an easier task.
Go buy any domain TODAY under $500 and flip it for more…$501+
Let’s see if u can do this first.
95% of domainers here that are domain name pros can’t do this today.
How do u expect to change $500 into $5000/month
Most people selling domains for a profit own 1000+ domains and sell one domain out of 1000 and u guys read about it and say wow…he flipped $10 to $1000…he don’t tell you that he owns 1000+ domains and paying yearly fees is gonna put him in a hole.

Last edited:
•••
Most people selling domains for a profit own 1000+ domains and sell one domain out of 1000 and u guys read about it and say wow…he flipped $10 to $1000…he don’t tell you that he owns 1000+ domains and paying yearly fees is gonna put him in a hole.
That is what GEO domainers do all day.
Some even do with semi TM names on outbound.

•••
I'm paying my bills from 2016 doing this and I have less than 500 domains at any given time. I've reported tens of sales over the years, some sold as fast as 24 hours. I've invested less than $500 in domains in the last 30 days and sold two of them for more than a few hundred times more than what I've paid for them....others are doing it even better, lots are doing it worst.

•••
I'm paying my bills from 2016 doing this and I have less than 500 domains at any given time. I've reported tens of sales over the years, some sold as fast as 24 hours. I've invested less than $500 in domains in the last 30 days and sold two of them for more than a few hundred times more than what I've paid for them....others are doing it even better, lots are doing it worst.
OP's question wasn't about whether you can turn a profit from $500. He was asking about a consistent 5k a month from $500.

People who are making a consistent 5k every single month like clockwork aren't running their businesses with $500. The earlier example that someone started with $100 in 2007 failed to also consider the following:

1. That 2007 was 15 years ago and that profit made along the way was probably ploughed back into the business.

2. That said profit might not have even come in the first year so more money might have been invested to pay for renewals and buy better names. Thus, increasing the actual startup money to $100 plus all the additional money before the first break-even sale.

3. That acquisition cost in 2007 was a different ball game when compared to acquisition cost today. I don't even want to talk of the inflation rate difference between the two times. So, $500 back in 2007 could acquire better names than what you will get today for $500.

So, while I get the whole "I invested $100 15 years ago and see where I am today" story, the analogy doesn't quite work for what the OP is asking

•••
OP's question wasn't about whether you can turn a profit from $500. He was asking about a consistent 5k a month from $500.

People who are making a consistent 5k every single month like clockwork aren't running their businesses with $500. The earlier example that someone started with $100 in 2007 failed to also consider the following:

1. That 2007 was 15 years ago and that profit made along the way was probably ploughed back into the business.

2. That said profit might not have even come in the first year so more money might have been invested to pay for renewals and buy better names. Thus, increasing the actual startup money to $100 plus all the additional money before the first break-even sale.

3. That acquisition cost in 2007 was a different ball game when compared to acquisition cost today. I don't even want to talk of the inflation rate difference between the two times. So, $500 back in 2007 could acquire better names than what you will get today for $500.

So, while I get the whole "I invested $100 15 years ago and see where I am today" story, the analogy doesn't quite work for what the OP is asking
I think that the main question is about becoming a full time domainer by investing $500 from your money and how many years it take to get there, the $5000 was an example and it doesn't say without reinvesting your profit. You can do 1k, 2k, 3k and be a full time domainer, 5k in New York has less value than 2k in Hanoi. You can use a simple search and go back to 2007 reported sales here on namepros and check what people were paying and for what amounts, the ROI achieved today, even with a hand reg, in short time, is much higher than what you could achieve in 2007. Lot's of $99-$199 acquisition prices and sale prices of 3-4k, nothing special, compared with today. If you talk about meta, defi, nft, crypto, xr and other domain prices, we are talking about a totally different business. Regarding inflation, we are comparing domains bought in 2007 and sold in 2007-2008 and domains bought in 2021 and sold in 2021-2022, so inflation doesn't have an effect in short term. Even so, $1,000 in 2010 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1,278 today, so not so big difference.

Last edited:
•••
I think that the main question is about becoming a full time domainer by investing $500 from your money and how many years it take to get there, the $5000 was an example and it doesn't say without reinvesting your profit. You can do 1k, 2k, 3k and be a full time domainer, 5k in New York has less value than 2k in Hanoi. You can use a simple search and go back to 2007 reported sales here on namepros and check what people were paying and for what amounts, the ROI achieved today, even with a hand reg, in short time, is much higher than what you could achieve in 2007. Lot's of $99-$199 acquisition prices and sale prices of 3-4k, nothing special, compared with today. If you talk about meta, defi, nft, crypto, xr and other domain prices, we are talking about a totally different business. Regarding inflation, we are comparing domains bought in 2007 and sold in 2007-2008 and domains bought in 2021 and sold in 2021-2022, so inflation doesn't have an effect in short term. Even so, $1,000 in 2010 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1,278 today, so not so big difference.
Well in his title, he clearly stated 5k a month. Probably, that's what he thinks it will take for him to do this full time comfortably.

Inflation does have an effect. You are forgetting that domaining is a global business. Not all domainers live in the US. So, using the US inflation rate as a yardstick doesn't work here.

Global inflation has been on the rise, some countries more than others. Presently, due to inflation and exchange rate, what I pay to buy a domain from the aftermarket or to register a domain today is twice the amount I used to pay in my local currency in 2020.

•••
Well in his title, he clearly stated 5k a month. Probably, that's what he thinks it will take for him to do this full time comfortably.

Inflation does have an effect. You are forgetting that domaining is a global business. Not all domainers live in the US. So, using the US inflation rate as a yardstick doesn't work here.

Global inflation has been on the rise, some countries more than others. Presently, due to inflation and exchange rate, what I pay to buy a domain from the aftermarket or to register a domain today is twice the amount I used to pay in my local currency in 2020.
Yes, domaining is a global business, so the purchasing power was on the rise on most countries in the last 20-30 days, so even with inflation, you can buy more, because of the high wages and high profits.

•••
I am replying directly to your question ( from my view point as a domain name developer ). " Starting with $500, how soon can one be a full-time domainer with $5k a month income? " and using the Godaddy definition of domaining https://www.godaddy.com/garage/domaining-101/ " Domaining is generally defined as investing in domain names with the intention of making a profit. A profit is most often realized by selling or leasing a domain for more than you purchased it for. However, there are other methods of monetization during the time you are actively renewing a domain name. " If you bought 50 high volume C.C.T.L.D. domain names at registration cost and developed each one into a country-specific web site you'd need to earn $ 100 each month from each domain name. That's $ 3.33 from each domain name each day. I am actively attempting to do this and spending two hours each day. So far in 2022 I have earned $ 1000 which is 66 cents each day from each domain name. Based on the numbers I think it's possible to earn $ 5000 each month within the first year from becoming a domainer. But I also think it needs to be your full-time occupation and I think you need to have a pre-existing online marketing skill set. Good question. Important to focus on quantifiable goals with target dates not on dreams.

Last edited:
•••
Ask anybody who never done that and he will tell you it is not possible.

Yes it is possible and quite fast but you have to be somehow talented in this business.
You do not need to have many years of experience to be successful.
When I am looking for some names here you cannot imagine how horrible domains people send me and those people are members here for ten years or longer.
They just have long experience of mediocrity and practing bad habits. They are in a worse situation than you.

I recommend you to go out and learn what end users do....
Most successul people do not spend much time on forums like this.
They are too busy building succesful business.

Most domainers are average or mediocre and those especially love spending time on forums like this and write. Reading their vaulable opinions, idea etc. will work like brain washing for your beliefs - I guarantee you it will not help you in your domaining career .
Of course I recommend you to read, learn etc but much better and safer are domain blogs run by successful domain investors.
Everything starts and ends with brain so care about it.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the insights, everyone. Another aspect is, to invest $500, grow it into $3000, and then plough that back to scale and generate $500 per month. That is also an option.
Of course, whether and how we invest the $3,000/$5,000 that we grow $500 into is another thing.
And yes, I mean consistent income.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Unrealistic, IMO...

More budget needed...

•••
Forget domaining. Who can invest $500 in anything and it result into $5,000 a month income? It’s completely unrealistic. Maybe if you’re investing $500 a month….for a very long time can you generate $5,000 a month.

There are some comments above that I do not agree with though. If you’ve been in this industry for a very long time and were able to invest in the right domain names over time that will pay off. Can you do it if you started today? Maybe but you would need a much bigger investment. A lot more than $500.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back