Unstoppable Domains

Speed of NamePros

Labeled as awaiting-user-reply in NamePros Community Help, started by oldtimer, Feb 12, 2021

Replies:
Views:

1. oldtimer

oldtimer Do some good for humanity and the environment VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Well maybe there should be a thread for what NamePros should not add,

All these tracking software from NamePros and the affiliate banner ads are slowing down the performance of my smartphone (some even interfere with typing a post).

I understand that every website has to do some tracking, but if it's done too much and if there are automated bots manipulating things behind the scenes all the time then it just ends up creating an unpleasant experience for the visitors regardless of what website it is.

Even with 5g connection things are still going to be slowed down if tracking is done past an acceptable level.

IMO

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Bravo Mod Team

Bravo Mod Team Moderator, NamePros Moderator PRO VIP Gold Account

Hello,

Thank you for letting us now.

Our CTO @Paul has been working on trying to improve it this month. You may be able to help him pinpoint more of the causes.

Have you noticed the speed improve this month, or has it gotten worse? Improvements have been made, but perhaps they're not working as expected.

Please let us know.

3. oldtimer

Let's wait to hear from other members here to see whether this is a widespread problem that everyone is experiencing or if it's just an isolated one, but I have noticed that the website hangs for a few seconds when it gets to loading the banner ads and then it speeds up again.

IMO

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  4. Paul

Paul CTO, NamePros CTO VIP

Any chance you’d be able to record a video of it? All our banner ads are static—they’re just images. They shouldn’t load any differently from other images.

5. Paul

We try not to ignore bugs just because they're isolated. As @Bravo Mod Team mentioned, I've been spending a lot of time lately trying to optimize loading times on a wider variety of mobile devices. Most of these changes haven't involved the ads, as we already require our advertisers to supply static images; we're not loading them dynamically as most third-party ad networks would.

We recently made a bunch of changes to cut down on dynamic content on most pages. This is supposed to have the opposite effect to what you're observing: pages should load faster, and content shouldn't move around the page after it loads. Nothing should be manipulated after page load without your input. However, it's possible that some of these changes haven't worked as intended, and it's important that we figure out why and find devices that we can use to test for these edge cases in the future.

I don't think it's tracking that's at play here; we use fairly minimal ad tracking, and most of it is server-side, meaning that it can't have any effect on page load times. If I had to guess, I would say it has to do with how our menubar loads. I think it's just a coincidence that the menubar and ads are both rendering at the same time.

6. oldtimer

@Paul , thanks for checking into this, the way that this website hangs is not something that I can create on demand as it happens by random and sometimes it takes longer than other times, but I have noticed that the little line (narrow bar) that shows the progress of the website loading (rendering) stops at around 3/4 of the way to the end from a fraction of a second up to as long as two or three seconds and then it speeds up and goes to the end right after the banner ads are loaded. At the end sometimes three small fast moving rectangular shapes appear on the top right corner of the screen too for less then a second and go away after the website is done loading.

I hope this helps, but if no one else is experiencing this problem then perhaps it has something to do with my phone (I don't have the most expensive phone that is).

IMO

7. Future Sensors

Future Sensors 78% of human domainers will be replaced by robots Gold Account

I generally think the site is fast, but yesterday there was a message about a handshake that was taking too long for pixel.quantserve.com. Didn't see it again, so all seems fine for me personally.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  8. dna

dna Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Those who are having this problem should do a speed test at speedtest.net and publish it.

9. Paul

It's a device issue, not an internet speed issue. It's very hard to get a site with as much content as NamePros working well on an old $30 Android phone. Most users expect a variety of modern features that slows down such devices. They're simply not powerful enough to keep up, and that's especially noticeable on a site like NamePros that's optimized for power users. The physical hardware in the device is insufficient; no improvement in internet speeds will help.

We've started testing more with older phones; that's not hard to do. However, those aren't the phones at play here. The issues are with cheap carrier-locked phones. We need the phones to be unlocked in order to test with them. For a mainstream carrier, that wouldn't be too difficult, and there are even plenty of smaller carriers that would be happy to help us out. However, in my personal opinion, the carriers responsible for the problematic devices are less-than-ethical and are unlikely to release the carrier lock under reasonable terms.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice