Spaceship.com registrar thread.

SpaceshipSpaceship
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
NamecheapNamecheap
Watch

dirk

NOT ATop Member
Impact
15,005
I just tried Spaceship.com. They're a NameCheap brand and launched their beta. I think they rightfully deserve a thread on NP to discuss our experiences with their new registrar.

Remember, it's still in beta so do expect some glitches, work to be done... Would be cool in someone from NC would care to chip in :) @tamar
 
16
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Hey @enetwork you might want to update your communication for .ai transfers... I'm out $140 because I transferred a name from Namecheap to Spaceship only to find out after it doesn't include a renewal... despite the order summary clearly showing it DOES!!!

Show attachment 262244

​

I obviously never would have moved the name if this was clear up front >:(

Support says 'This information was reflected in the "Disclaimers "section of the transfer page' which is not good enough.

btw, although I'd imagine NC's CEO will make this right as he seems like a rationale and good guy, if things don't work via that channel a chargeback through your cc should get your money back. That screenshot clearly states terms that are offered for your $140 and they weren't honored. A company cannot hide behind buried T&C's that differ from the clear and obvious messaging shown in the cart. This goes against the rules set out by Visa/MC.
 
2
•••
Wow. I don't understand, I thought all transfers >46 days get renewal. Why would Spaceship not give it? And they 100% should give a refund since the cart is unclear and shows "including 1 year renewal". I'd reach out to their CEO who is very responsive to discuss.

Apparently it’s the .ai registry that doesn’t include the renewal in the fee, but the way spaceship displays it you’d never know this without reading the fine print.

This should be massively highlighted and blindingly obvious that you’re making a horrific financial decision by transferring.
 
3
•••
Apparently it’s the .ai registry that doesn’t include the renewal in the fee, but the way spaceship displays it you’d never know this without reading the fine print.

This should be massively highlighted and blindingly obvious that you’re making a horrific financial decision by transferring.

Understood (now). But that cart doesn't make that clear at all. That is why, they have to give your money back. Either voluntarily or via a chargeback. There is no way we can know all the hundreds of TLD rules... that's why their cart messaging is quite important and in this case, misleads terribly.
 
4
•••
This is how it should be presented at checkout (not my domain, just used as an example).

sign.png
 
3
•••
This is how it should be presented at checkout (not my domain, just used as an example).

Show attachment 262290

Exactly. This is how to do it.

And Spaceships cart is factually incorrect. You simply cannot charge someone $140, say "including 1 year renewal" - then say "well the registry won't allow it and we placed that info in a buried T&C somewhere within our website".

Try saying that in front of the Arizona Attorney General after a customer complains to them and see what happens. Instead of one refund, watch that AG force them to give a refund to every consumer that transferred in a .ai domain since that verbiage was Spaceships website. Spaceship should refund Kyle's money lickety-split and change/update their cart copy - before Kyle or another affected party decides to show this cart to the Arizona Attorney General.

Those AGs just love cut and dry cases like this. I'm actually shocked at Spaceship Twitters response to Kyle (they said there is nothing they can do). Clearly that millennial is not a lawyer nor has ever been involved in a case of any kind. Wait til Spaceships legal department finds out about this and watch that refund be forthcoming to Kyle within minutes. I'm sure the CEO understands as well. Once he hears, he'll refund. No sane person wants to stand in front of an AG trying to explain away the messaging in this cart.
 
Last edited:
3
•••
air.png
 
2
•••
3
•••
Last edited:
1
•••
"We use this template for all transfers, regardless of the TLD"

That's crazy. That's like buying a laptop that comes with 8GB of RAM and then you get it and it only has 4GB. Then, support saying, "oh, the 8GB is only for the PRO versions, but we use the same specs template on all our laptops"

Spaceship owes a refund to anyone that request it regarding this.

This would probably fall under "Deceptive business practices" (regardless of whats in the fine print) in Arizona where Spaceship is registered.
 
Last edited:
2
•••
"We use this template for all transfers, regardless of the TLD"

That's crazy. That's like selling a laptop that comes with 8GB of RAM and then you get it and it only has 4GB. Then, support saying, "oh, the 8GB is only for the PRO versions, but we use the same specs template on all our laptops"

Spaceship owes a refund to anyone that request it regarding this.

This would probably fall under "Deceptive business practices" in Arizona where Spaceship is registered.

And they should refund right away too. All it takes is one angry customer to send to the Arizona AG and they will be refunding 100% of their customers since inception who completed an ai transfer. It's absolutely outrageous (I'm pissed and it didn't even happen to me). Someone who paid $140 for nothing? They better move fast on this.
 
4
•••
It's absolutely outrageous (I'm pissed and it didn't even happen to me). Someone who paid $140 for nothing? They better move fast on this.
Yeah. It's really unfair how Kyle is being treated. Just like the famous plea to "Leave Britney alone", we should be saying, "Leave Kyle alone!" He deserves better treatment from Spaceship and a refund. It's the right thing to do.
 
2
•••
I can't believe they're trying to justify this. Maybe it's low level support just following a script, but if this is from the top down, I lost a lot of respect for Spaceship/NameCheap.

They need to fix their mistake, start issuing refunds to anyone that requests it and take this as a loss.
 
5
•••
@enetwork any news about the Spaceship marketplace? Will it be connected to the Namecheap marketplace?
 
Last edited:
3
•••
4
•••
"Your mydomain.com expired" emails every day and no way to opt out of emails. I asked support if I can manually delete/drop the domain from account like at other registrars and they said no. I don't need to get daily emails on all the domains I don't renew.
 
Last edited:
2
•••
I think spaceship should not ban our accounts for registering domains with their coupons as i used their promotions twice within one account and the staff said it's a bug with their system but i shouldn't use the coupon even the system allowed it.

If it's a namecheap brand then the staff should be professional as namecheap staff
 
1
•••
I an generally satisfied with SS, but the big delay of their seller hub has been a big disappointment. I transferred quite a few names to SS, thinking that it would be a good liquidation hub. I am considering other registrars with FT now, as they are not able to provide a timeline..
 
Last edited:
0
•••
I an generally satisfied with SS, but the big delay of their seller hub has been a big disappointment. I transferred quite a few names to SS, thinking that it would be a good liquidation hub. I am considering other registrars with FT now, as they are not able to provide a timeline..

I believe the CEO mentioned it'd be live by the end of Sept (oops, it was Sedo MLS that was end of Sept).
 
Last edited:
0
•••
A SS seller hub connected to NC marketplace would really be a game changer, BUT we are still in the dark.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
I believe the CEO mentioned it'd be live by the end of Sept (oops, it was Sedo MLS that was end of Sept).

Correct, Sedo MLS is set to be released this Wednesday. Still working hard on seller hub but don't have an exact ETA yet. I will give an update as soon as I can.
 
10
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back