Dynadot

Sophisticated Appraisal Scam -- uses <1and1-support.info>; poses as 1and1 Vice President

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
First email:

Domain Broker <[email protected]>

Hello!

I represent a professional investor from Luxembourg who wants to buy XXXXXXX.com for a new project.

I located your contact information in a domain name whois lookup and understand that you own the domain name.

Are you still interested in selling?

If you have more names I can help you to sell them.

Best Regards,

Andrew Cooper

Vice President

1and1 Hosting

I was suspicious, especially with this spammy-looking .info, which was registered on 2/1/2016, but I sent a polite response anyway with the usual caveat that all appraisals are paid by the potential buyer.

Second email:

Domain Broker <[email protected]>

My buyer invests money in web projects. He buys 30-50 domains for each project to get the maximum traffic possible. After that he sells developed web sites and make a good profit.
The buyer will pay you the appraised value. It will be fair since he does not want to pay something over the real market value.

Based on my experience, I think your name is in $15,000 - $20,000 range.

Based on my experience, I think your name is in $15,000 - $20,000 range. Do you have a certificate of the appraised value?If you don't have it's not a problem. You can order it online.
He needs it from a source he knows and trusts.I’m also interested in a good estimate of the market price because he pays me % on each sale.The process is very easy:1. Go to the certificate agency site (see instructions below) and submit your domain for the certification. Please let them know you have a buyer with $XX,XXX offer. It will help you to get a better valuation. In the comment field please ask them to guarantee that the appraised value will be higher than the appraisal service fee. In this case you will not risk to pay and get a low appraisal. I suggest you this company because they protect you as the seller from getting a low appraised value. They will send you the payment instruction only if your domain is worth $1000 or higher. Otherwise your request will be declined and you will not pay hem anything. Other companies does not offer this option.2. If your request will be approved, please pay them the fee and wait for 24 hours. Then send me the results via email and we will start the sale process. As soon as he receives your certificate, he will buy your domain via an escrow service. Any escrow service will be able to pay you via Paypal, Wire, Western Union or any other method you prefer.

He wants to ensure the safe delivery of the funds to you. Furthermore, since this is our first time conducting any business, I believe that using a third-party escrow service can provide a safe, well defined sale process.

The certificate must include only 2 things to be accepted by my buyer:1. Independent valuation of the market price. Only manual valuation is accepted. No valuations generated by scripts.

2. Trademark infringement verification. It proves your domain has no trademark problems. He would like this verification to be included in the appraisal report. It's not a problem because some companies include the TM verification for free.You can read about the recommended certification agency at Google Answers:http://archive.answers-google.org/answers/threadview/id/40629385.html (“Domain Broker” is my nickname there).

If you are new to certifications, I can send you step by step instructions.

He needs it from a source he knows and trusts.I’m also interested in a good estimate of the market price because he pays me % on each sale.The process is very easy:

1. Go to the certificate agency site (see instructions below) and submit your domain for the certification. Please let them know you have a buyer with $XX,XXX offer. It will help you to get a better valuation. In the comment field please ask them to guarantee that the appraised value will be higher than the appraisal service fee. In this case you will not risk to pay and get a low appraisal. I suggest you this company because they protect you as the seller from getting a low appraised value. They will send you the payment instruction only if your domain is worth $1000 or higher. Otherwise your request will be declined and you will not pay hem anything. Other companies does not offer this option.2. If your request will be approved, please pay them the fee and wait for 24 hours. Then send me the results via email and we will start the sale process. As soon as he receives your certificate, he will buy your domain via an escrow service. Any escrow service will be able to pay you via Paypal, Wire, Western Union or any other method you prefer.

He wants to ensure the safe delivery of the funds to you. Furthermore, since this is our first time conducting any business, I believe that using a third-party escrow service can provide a safe, well defined sale process.

The certificate must include only 2 things to be accepted by my buyer:1. Independent valuation of the market price. Only manual valuation is accepted. No valuations generated by scripts.

2. Trademark infringement verification. It proves your domain has no trademark problems. He would like this verification to be included in the appraisal report. It's not a problem because some companies include the TM verification for free.You can read about the recommended certification agency at Google Answers:http://archive.answers-google.org/answers/threadview/id/40629385.html (“Domain Broker” is my nickname there).

2. Trademark infringement verification. It proves your domain has no trademark problems. He would like this verification to be included in the appraisal report. It's not a problem because some companies include the TM verification for free.

2. Trademark infringement verification. It proves your domain has no trademark problems. He would like this verification to be included in the appraisal report. It's not a problem because some companies include the TM verification for free.You can read about the recommended certification agency at Google Answers: [Blah, blah] (“Domain Broker” is my nickname there).

The certificate must include only 2 things to be accepted by my buyer:

1. Independent valuation of the market price. Only manual valuation is accepted. No valuations generated by scripts.

2. Trademark infringement verification. It proves your domain has no trademark problems. He would like this verification to be included in the appraisal report. It's not a problem because some companies include the TM verification for free.

If you are new to certifications, I can send you step by step instructions.​

My answer:

Go pound sand, and don't EVER email me again.

Otherwise, I will report you to 1and1 and let them know you are cybersquatting on their trademark and scamming in their name.

I am warning others on a forum about you.

This appraisal scam is as old as the hills.​

cleardot.gif

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I got this one as well. I replied with a price and got the appraisal scam response.

•••
Thanks for the warning, but what is sophisticated about this? This is a/the classic appraisal scam, and I do not see anything sophisticated about it?

P.s., don't even bother replying to these emails.

•••
Thanks for the warning, but what is sophisticated about this? This is a/the classic appraisal scam, and I do not see anything sophisticated about it?

P.s., don't even bother replying to these emails.

It's sophisticated enough to fool a newbie.

The first email is a new aspect because at first glance, it looks like a regular query -- at first, nothing about an appraisal.

I suspected it, but someone just starting out might fall for it.

•••
Newbies (those without experience) are standard prey for cons. Be-aware newcomers, thanks for reporting Ms Domainer. :)

•••
Yep, got this email as well!

•••
Tried with me also. They are doing the rounds, to see who falls prey.

•••
I got one this morning from [email protected] - same person (Andrew Cooper), scamming in the name of another real registrar (www.123-reg.co.uk). Inquiry was for a newly hand registered domain - aiming for a newbie obviously. Thanks for your warning Ms Domainer !

•••
I got this just after posting my first domain name for sale. I agree it's very dangerous if you just started. The only good part is that they don't spam you with this for each and every domain name you have like the freakin' seo services spammers.

•••
This scam has been going on for years. Not sophisticated at all tbh.
Anything that is not 1000% legit in appearance, u just trash the email...
I find it hard 2 believe any1 wud fall 4 this.

•••
This scam has been going on for years. Not sophisticated at all tbh.
Anything that is not 1000% legit in appearance, u just trash the email...
I find it hard 2 believe any1 wud fall 4 this.

Like I said, newbies are more at risk for this, which justifies posting yet another warning, especially with this new element of the first email, which looks very much like an ordinary sales query and someone posing as an official from an established registrar.

In other words, they are upping their ante.

I agree that veteran domainers would/should scoff at that lame .info address, but new folks don't always look that deep -- I know I didn't back in 2007.

If I can help someone to avoid getting scammed, then that's a good day.

:)

•••
Hmm, i think even a l0wly chimp such as myself wud sp0t this newbie 0r n0t :)
We all kn0w h0w rampant fraud and scams are, especially via email.
Regardless 0f what business y0ur in etc....

Still, as u say, n0 harm in p0sting.....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back