Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Some newbs don't think logically

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
NamecheapNamecheap
Watch

biggie

GreenFriendly.comTop Member
Impact
21,521
i saw a posting in domains wanted thread, in response to the OP's request.


the member posted his name, along with an estibot appraisal.

the appraisal value is "LOWER" than his asking price.

so, if i'm the buyer, why would i even consider paying MORE than what estibot has apppraised the name for?

not that estibot's values mean anything to me personally....i just don't see the rationalization for using it....especially when you obviously don't know how to apply it in an advertisement.

what you think?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Ja$on said:
I like to use estibot for the overture/wordtracker/linkbacks/PR and to see which other TLD's are taken. The appraisal piece I couldn't care less about but these other numbers do help.

Add on archive.org and I would love it even more.

Exactly Ja$on, Estibot is good for a snapshop eg- OVT/wordtracker etc etc. I use that when selling sometimes. I never use the price.

As for archive it indirectly links to it (Alexa link then 'see how it looked in the past').

g-
 
1
•••
IAmAllanShore said:
Should just bow-out, but really, do we care what people put in their ads/forum postings? I do not.

Anything folks post in for-sale ads is a bonus as far as I am concerned, even if it is an appraisal whose validity might be questionable, since if you understand the metrics that go into those automated appraisals it may bring your attention to an aspect of a domain you would have otherwise missed, no?

Just seems like a non-issue to me; we've all been "new" and we've all done silly things at one point or another, and if posting an estibot appraisal in a for-sale ad is the dumbest thing I do today I will count myself among the very fortunate.

I'm adding a signature line,
-Allan :gl:


Exactly! I mean...how often do you see an oddball name and before buying you check tons of your resources to ensure value? You should be smart enough to know what Estibot does and how accurate it is (or not). But it's still helpful. If Estibot says something is worth regfee...solid chance that's what it's worth. Anyone going to object to that?
 
2
•••
obviously estibot is way off base on a lot of stuff but you guys dont even check it at all when making decisions? for example if estibot says a domain is reg fee it usually sucks pretty bad. and if some weird word pops up as $5k it usually means something in another language. also good for the traffic stats/estimates.

by no means is it a price guide but i always pop potential buys into it and see what it says as a place to start off with. especially when working with huge numbers of domains. toss 500 names into the bulk search tool and it is pretty solid at weeding out the garbage for you and giving you a short list to take a closer look at.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
Yeah completely agree Jesse. Estibot, at least from what I've seen using it, doesn't under-appraise domains near as much as over-appraise them.

Nothing compares to Leapfish (RIP) for having made me feel like a billionaire! :hehe:

labrocca said:
Exactly! I mean...how often do you see an oddball name and before buying you check tons of your resources to ensure value? You should be smart enough to know what Estibot does and how accurate it is (or not). But it's still helpful. If Estibot says something is worth regfee...solid chance that's what it's worth. Anyone going to object to that?
 
1
•••
I don't use Estibot appraisals and I don't give it any weight when buying/selling domains.

I might quote one or more of (Google Results, WordTracker Score, Strong back links, similar recent sales, traffic stats) in my sales.
 
1
•••
www.LLLL.com said:
There's hope for the domaining community: http://www.leapfish.com/ :D
Now now someone new will see this and think you are serious.

But it's still damn funny. I think their tag line should be
"Domains suck? Feel like a millionaire at Leapfish.com" :lol:
 
1
•••
www.LLLL.com said:
There's hope for the domaining community: http://www.leapfish.com/ :D


Hey! >:( . Whats wrong with Leap Fish? I find them the most reliable appraiser in the business.... :p


J/J
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
1
•••
Gemstar, they are trully most reliable. You can absolutely rely that they're not running :D
 
1
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back