Dynadot

Social Network Gab.com being threatened by GoDaddy: 24 hours to transfer or suspension

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainguy50

Established Member
Impact
backstory: Gab is a social network alternative to twitter. their selling point is free speech (all speech is welcome, including what you believe might be hate speech.) which is basically is the first amendment. no unlawful material is allowed, but virtually any speech is. recently they purchased the "gab com" domain for $220k.

this site is very controversial as a result, with mainstream media outlets claiming it is popular with nazi and anti-semite messages. the site has 800,000 users and has experienced modest growth recently so it really isnt all bad hate speech. regardless, those disgusting messages on the site by some users are also lawful no matter how distasteful they are. as a result of these media attacks, (and the recent revelation that the synagogue shooter in pittsburgh yesterday had an active gab profile) gab is being unfairly targeted by smear campaigns online reporting the site as "a hate speech site" via email to gab's service providers.

gabs host (microsoft) revoked its contract with gab a few months ago

gabs payment providers (paypal and stripe) just revoked their services

just a few minutes ago, godaddy has said they will stop working with gab:
(i cant post the image or link idk why)
"BREAKING: Godaddy is threatening to suspend our domain (which is worth six figures) if we do not transfer to a new provider by tomorrow. This is madness."

the complexity of the situation is compounded by the fact that Gab is on a payment plan to fully own the domain since they recently purchased it. the broker/escrow agent control this which makes it even more difficult for the company to transfer to a new registrar by EOD tomorrow.

I understand that Godaddy is a private business and its clauses may allow it to do this, but this seems extreme overreaction. "24 hours to transfer or else" is a very menacing way of doing business.

-if you were in charge of gab what would you do? create your own payment processor, host, and DNS? they got deplatformed quickly... i guess they could try to get an offshore Hosting company or invest in native hosting.

-what is the most "free speech" friendly DNS provider there is?

-is it fair for internet infrastructure companies to de-platform a small upstart social network because of controversial speech? or should companies like DNS and hosting should be regulated and allow any customer as long as it is lawful content being hosted.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
no we were commandos and took over crypto king lol

•••
You didn't start a country.. I'm sure there were Native Americans living there once upon a time...
Indeed they were living there, only they didn't have any country, nor Constitution etc.

•••
Indeed they were living there, only they didn't have any country, nor Constitution etc.

Yes, they didn't have a thing that was a social construct of the invading force.

•••
Yes, they didn't have a thing that was a social construct of the invading force.

Just to clarify, I'm not one of these hang your head in shame types. The history is just that... History. But let's not try and do mental gymnastics around the issue - our lifestyles that we enjoy today are built on appalling acts. And that goes for most countries, not just the US. But we are where we are, so best we can do as far as I can see is to try and not commit any appalling acts ourselves

•••
Just to clarify, I'm not one of these hang your head in shame types. The history is just that... History. But let's not try and do mental gymnastics around the issue - our lifestyles that we enjoy today are built on appalling acts. And that goes for most countries, not just the US. But we are where we are, so best we can do as far as I can see is to try and not commit any appalling acts ourselves

I agree. I was just replying to one comment in particular which I thought was very narrow minded.

•••
Screenshot from 2018-12-22 11-59-35.png

God is not impressed..

•••

Despite the ongoing attempts by the mainstream media and various social channels to vilify both me and Epik, I am very sure that free speech is on the right side of history. Those who intend to control the message have gone too far. They overplayed their hand and have awakened moderates with intellect who will defend the very reasonable use of God-given and constitutionally-protected rights on which the USA was built.

•••

... and this relates to Gab / GoDaddy / General Domain Discussion how?

That comment is his opinion. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how that pertains to domains, or even this thread in general.

(IMO) Posting that comment in this thread is off topic at best, and at worst it's simple minded weak ass ain't got no business here trolling...

•••
im ignoring foreign trolls for the rest of the day.

You post a disgusting comment belittling someone due to their country of origin and when he defends himself you call him a troll.

It's mindless comments like this that sow the seeds of hate - stay in your echo chamber where it's safe to judge and condemn others for not thinking the same as you.

Pathetic.....

•••
Those who intend to control the message have gone too far.

100% agree. Legislation is being introduced.

“Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX-01) released the following statement regarding the introduction his bill, H.R.7363, that amends section 230 of the Communications Act of 1934: “

“Social media companies like Facebook, Twitter, and Google are now among the largest and most powerful companies in the world. More and more people are turning to a social media platform for news than ever before, arguably making these companies more powerful than traditional media outlets. Yet, social media companies enjoy special legal protections under Section 230 of the Communications Act of 1934, protections not shared by other media. Instead of acting like the neutral platforms they claim to be in order obtain their immunity, these companies have turned Section 230 into a license to potentially defraud and defame with impunity.”

“Representatives of social media companies have testified in Congressional hearings that they do not discriminate against or filter out conservative voices on their platforms. But for all their reassurances, the disturbing trend continues unabated. Employees from some of these companies have communicated their disgust for conservatives and discussed ways to use social media platforms and algorithms to silence and prevent income to conservatives.”

https://gohmert.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=398676

•••
100% agree. Legislation is being introduced.

“Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX-01) released the following statement regarding the introduction his bill, H.R.7363, that amends section 230 of the Communications Act of 1934: “

“Representatives of social media companies have testified in Congressional hearings that they do not discriminate against or filter out conservative voices on their platforms. But for all their reassurances, the disturbing trend continues unabated. Employees from some of these companies have communicated their disgust for conservatives and discussed ways to use social media platforms and algorithms to silence and prevent income to conservatives.”

https://gohmert.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=398676

The next one they need to take on is folks like Huffington Post who produce completely fabricated narratives with the objective of discrediting conservatives. Case in point:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...9e4b05d7e5d846f72?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

To add insult to injury, the comments section were also censored. I made a mockery of it on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/robmonster/status/1075516059791384576

The evidence is increasingly apparent to anyone paying attention that these people are completely sick in the head -- force-feeding the world with their secular humanist talking points.

They overplay their hand, and end up driving more people to Alt-Tech.

•••
The evidence is increasingly apparent to anyone paying attention that these people are completely sick in the head -- force-feeding the world with their secular humanist talking points.

I don't even see comments enabled in that article.

Have you ever deleted comments on your blog?

Secular humanism - Secular humanism, or simply humanism, is a philosophy or life stance that embraces human reason, ethics, and philosophical naturalism while specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, pseudoscience, and superstition as the basis of morality and decision making.

That's bad? but is this good, some of the stuff you repost? Are you aware of your posts? It's not a good look, what do you expect people to take from them? Are you aware of Charlemagne and how many heads he chopped off? Chopping heads off would be considered violent to most people. That's one way it spread.

Posting stuff from Nationalist, anti-immigrant sites like Voice of Europe and other places.

Why would you repost shit like this? What good comes out of that? Yes, before you come with the Freedom of Speech marketing, you can post that. You also have the freedom not to.

bq-5bfc04aa9b307.png

Last edited:
•••
•••
The next one they need to take on is folks like Huffington Post who produce completely fabricated narratives with the objective of discrediting conservatives. Case in point:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...9e4b05d7e5d846f72?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

To add insult to injury, the comments section were also censored. I made a mockery of it on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/robmonster/status/1075516059791384576

They overplay their hand, and end up driving more people to Alt-Tech.

Urghh.. Religion.

•••
Urghh.. Religion.

Freedom of Speech. Freedom of Assembly. Freedom of Religion. Right to Bear Arms. These are all constitutionally protected rights. They come with an expectation of responsibility to use them lawfully.

Assuming you believe the US Constitution is still in effect, as most Americans have been told, then the issue is not hard to understand. A segment of patriots are holding the line on a few reasonable God-given rights.

As for my personal faith, I am unapologetic Christian -- the result of a deeply-researched conclusion, not childhood indoctrination. That said I do love everyone, including those who might be deceived.

As for the movement to eviscerate national borders through the UN global compact signed on December 10 in Marrakech by 164 nations, it is true, I am not a fan. The US did not sign but Canada did.

The US press barely covered this important vent and yet alt-news did cover it. The UN global compact will also forbid the media from speaking negatively about open borders. Most people don't know that either.

All that said, Epik is a rock solid registrar. We welcome all engaged lawfully in content, community, or commerce, and do so without bias, inviting any to engage in a fair and open marketplace.

•••
I don't even see comments enabled in that article.

Have you ever deleted comments on your blog?

Secular humanism - Secular humanism, or simply humanism, is a philosophy or life stance that embraces human reason, ethics, and philosophical naturalism while specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, pseudoscience, and superstition as the basis of morality and decision making.

That's bad? but is this good, some of the stuff you repost? Are you aware of your posts? It's not a good look, what do you expect people to take from them? Are you aware of Charlemagne and how many heads he chopped off? Chopping heads off would be considered violent to most people. That's one way it spread.

Posting stuff from Nationalist, anti-immigrant sites like Voice of Europe and other places.

Why would you repost sh*t like this? What good comes out of that? Yes, before you come with the Freedom of Speech marketing, you can post that. You also have the freedom not to.

bq-5bfc04aa9b307.png

maybe they didn't tell you at school
or you where missing

get this translated:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreuzzug

•••
Freedom of Speech. Freedom of Assembly. Freedom of Religion. Right to Bear Arms. These are all constitutionally protected rights. They come with an expectation of responsibility to use them lawfully.

Assuming you believe the US Constitution is still in effect, as most Americans have been told, then the issue is not hard to understand. A segment of patriots are holding the line on a few reasonable God-given rights.

As for my personal faith, I am unapologetic Christian -- the result of a deeply-researched conclusion, not childhood indoctrination. That said I do love everyone, including those who might be deceived.

As for the movement to eviscerate national borders through the UN global compact signed on December 10 in Marrakech by 164 nations, it is true, I am not a fan. The US did not sign but Canada did.

The US press barely covered this important vent and yet alt-news did cover it. The UN global compact will also forbid the media from speaking negatively about open borders. Most people don't know that either.

All that said, Epik is a rock solid registrar. We welcome all engaged lawfully in content, community, or commerce, and do so without bias, inviting any to engage in a fair and open marketplace.

I respect your right to believe whatever mumbo jumbo you need to get you through life.

•••

are these quotes found at

correctly quoted?

a)
Monster posted on Gab in November. Monster doesn’t wish Jewish people any harm, he said —

“God will deal with them and in His time and His way regardless of hoaxes and conspiracies along the way.”

b)

Monster assured another Gab user who was worried about Epik having two Jewish board members that
“having a Jewish person on Epik’s board may be somewhat helping with keeping certain forces at bay.”

•••
maybe they didn't tell you at school
or you where missing

get this translated:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreuzzug

Maybe you were asleep when you made that post but who I was talking about isn't mentioned on that page.

"Charlemagne waged a bloody, three-decades-long series of battles against the Saxons, a Germanic tribe of pagan worshippers, and earned a reputation for ruthlessness. In 782 at the Massacre of Verden, Charlemagne reportedly ordered the slaughter of some 4,500 Saxons. He eventually forced the Saxons to convert to Christianity, and declared that anyone who didn’t get baptized or follow other Christian traditions be put to death."

Now, does that go with the picture I posted above? Become a Christian or die. If you want to talk more about this, hop into the Religious Thread.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-official-religious-discussion-thread.784335/page-32

Last edited:
•••
Maybe you were asleep when you made that post but who I was talking about isn't mentioned on that page.

"Charlemagne waged a bloody, three-decades-long series of battles against the Saxons, a Germanic tribe of pagan worshippers, and earned a reputation for ruthlessness. In 782 at the Massacre of Verden, Charlemagne reportedly ordered the slaughter of some 4,500 Saxons. He eventually forced the Saxons to convert to Christianity, and declared that anyone who didn’t get baptized or follow other Christian traditions be put to death."

Now, does that go with the picture I posted above? Become a Christian or die. If you want to talk more about this, hop into the Religious Thread.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/the-official-religious-discussion-thread.784335/page-32

no idea where you got that translation from

I was referring to the image you posted
but maybe I didn't get the sarcasm

Last edited:
•••
•••
Some brief comments, more specific to Gab as that was the theme of this thread:

- The evidence of digital censorship should be increasingly apparent. In late October, Gab was targeted. Now we have moderates like Jordan Peterson and Pewdiepie as targets for harassment. For anyone who missed Tim Cook's declaration on December 3, 2018, it is here:

It is more than a bit troubling when one of the largest companies controlling the largest app store is unapologetic about censoring based on subjective criteria.

The trend is troubling. It is not Orwellian, but the trend is in that direction, and therein lies the reason for maintaining free speech on the public web. It is a check and balance against overreach.

- As for the Gab.com community, since getting them back online, I did join as a user which some here have already discovered. I am posting here, mainly to advance Epik as a registrar of choice for liberty-minded registrants but also to better understand the degree to which the community is indeed capable of self-governing vis-a-vis their own Terms of Service which describes the lawful use of free speech.

- As for what gets discussed at Gab, it is not so different than what you will find at Facebook at Twitter. If there is a conservative bias, it is because some conservative voices have been censored in one way or another by the main social media outlets. The very tiny minority of misanthropes have either been banned or have been advised of the ToS so that there is no backlash if they are banned later for ToS violation.

- As for matters of theology and history, I will simply say this. The ability and right to change your mind about anything is predicated on unfettered access to knowledge. If that knowledge is constrained by bias or censorship, then you restrict the ability to come to an incontrovertible understanding of truth. It also means that those who are deceived or confused also lose the opportunity to overcome their error or bias.

As stated prior, I believe the ongoing utility of domain names is only as compelling as the assurance of the right to use that domain. For those domain industry stakeholders who propose to introduce institutionalized "friction" in the process to secure a domain or use it, this is something Epik will continue to advocate against. Take-downs and censorship without due process should not stand.

For those of you who think autocratic censorship is incapable of coming to the domain industry, I invite you to study the Registrar of Last Resort (ROLR) that proposes to fast-track an ICANN-endorsed process whereby they will serve as the domain quarantine. The project has a censorious leadership team. Had it existed, Gab.com would likely have been quarantined. Epik Tweeted about it here.

•••
If you imply the picture, it's true, not sh*t.

It's not completely true because Christianity was spread by the sword too. And it's shit because @Rob Monster says he loves everyone and stuff but him reposting this shows his hate for Islam.

Imo, religion should not have been involved in this thread because it makes everyone move away from the main topic.

•••
Props to Rob for standing up for speech.
The road to systemic censorship starts with a public hanging of the unpopular. Even if they're pricks who deserve our scorn.

If you care about the internet. Archive this thread. History relating to issues such as this has a nasty habit of being rewritten.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks @secretagentdad. You should know that my treasures are in heaven where history is being methodically recorded by an all-knowing God who does not miss much.

As for @Haris, I don't dislike muslims. I have had wonderful conversations with muslims. I am not a fan of unmitigated immigration, especially from nations which had poor social planning. And you can disagree.

All,

Freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion, and the right to bear arms are all related freedoms -- they are natural rights that governments sometimes take away if it does not serve their goals.

There are people that are being deceived into thinking that "Rob Monster" is their enemy. I am most certainly not. The God of creation wishes to reconcile all to Himself and wishes for none to perish.

The latest HuffPo hit piece is a case in point but it is showing in many places. The censors also censor comments so unless you know me personally, your view is being intentionally tainted.

As for free speech, it is part and parcel to the much more important topic of empowering the search for truth and the propagation of truth. Because of the Internet, truth is spreading at an accelerating rate.

The internet is enabling the greatest revealing of truth that the world has probably ever seen. It is also allowing both deception and temptation on an unprecedented scale.

The war is for your soul. The universe is not an accident or the product of randomness. If you think otherwise and call yourself a truthseeker, you have not gone deep enough. Keep digging.

Although, there is much sorrow in much knowledge, it is still worth it, especially if you are one that is intellectually unable to accept the Gospel with "childlike faith". I have been there.

Blessings to all for an auspicious start to 2019. May you find the truth, and may it set you free!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back