NameSilo

Social Network Gab.com being threatened by Godaddy: 24 hours to transfer or suspension

Located in General Domain Discussion started by domainguy50, Oct 29, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. Rob Monster

Rob Monster CEO, Epik Epik.com Staff PRO Gold Account VIP

Upon further review, I am beginning to see the issue. Archive.org is not just archiving vast number of websites that once existed, and also backing up sites that still exist. Archive.org is a vast online library and repository of digital content. Wikipedia often links to this content.

For example, if you research into the rather fascinating character of Alberto Rivera you will find the Wikipedia article. The Wikipedia article links to Archive.org which has content that some might find objectionable. Alberto was an ex Jesuit priest who did a tell-all.

Wikipedia does already get brigaded and editors routinely "camp" on pages. So it is already somewhat broken. And yet, Wikipedia, Archive.org, YouTube and Google Books all have vast archives of content that was pretty much in accessible until very recently. Censorship here would be a notable development.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

Archive also has Black Lives Matters anarchist, racist roots fully documented, all missing from their current website, I posted links before somewhere I believe in this thread.

3. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

@GILSAN check this out, a domain blogger is claiming TR the initials belong only to Turkey. lol.

Click bait headline if you ask me.

So I guess, another domain blog is attacking you Rob. This is crazy. As if "TR" really isn't his initials and somehow TR can only be for Turkey. "rightfully belongs to...", please.

"Tommy Robinson, who has been banned from most major social media platforms due to his anti-Islam “hate speech”, is now conducting business via a domain name that some believe rightfully belongs to the Muslim-majority nation of Turkey.

The registration could add fuel to the fight between ICANN and its governmental advisers over whether certain domains should be blocked or restricted."

It will come as no surprise at all for you to learn that the domain was transferred out of GoDaddy, which occasionally kicks out customers with distasteful views, to Epik, now de facto home of those with far-right views, a couple of weeks after the web site launched.

The irony of the choice of domain is that many governments would claim that tr.news — indeed any two-character domain, in any gTLD, which matches any country-code — rightfully belongs to Turkey, a nation of about 80 million nominal Muslims.

TR is the ISO 3166-1 two-character code for Turkey, and until a couple of years ago new gTLD registries were banned from selling any of these ccTLD-match two-letter domains, due to complaints from ICANN’s Governmental Advisory Committee.

http://domainincite.com/24156-oh-th...-activist-shows-up-on-turkish-new-gtld-domain

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  4. MolaRam

MolaRam Established Member

The level of abuse of so-called internet laws is astounding. Fake DMCA takedown requests happen all the time and even result in accounts being banned - without any fair trial. GoDaddy, 1&1 etc will just turn your domain off without due process. If countries like the UK want to implement draconian laws to restrict free speech, I would just move servers out of the UK and stop giving them my business.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. Bernard Wright

Bernard Wright Established Member

Jordan Peterson just began promoting his new project, Thinkspot (dot com). He touts it as a platform where members don’t adhere to a maximum number of characters, but rather a minimum (of 50...so even trolls have to put in some effort and think of something "quasi-witty", as he puts it). And, moderation will be, seemingly, relatively lax. I have seen a statement from Dr. Peterson in which the platform is explicitly declared a place for “Censorship-Free Curated Content”.

"The terms of service for the new site take an extreme position on free speech. Peterson said: 'Once you’re on our platform, we won’t take you down, unless we’re ordered to by a US court of law.'"

Personally, I think it sounds great! Yet, while I've never read Gab's TOC, I'd think they would have had a similar policy regarding adhering to US laws and freedom of speech. Here's the ironic part: Thinkspot is registered at GoDaddy. I'm trying to make sense of why Dr. Peterson thinks Thinkspot is going to meet a fate any different from Gab's.

I think I've read or heard somewhere in the past few days that the content will be behind a pay wall. Perhaps this would allow Thinkspot to operate and moderate more freely than Gab? If so, is that what we're coming to? I've heard "Free speech isn't free", but literally having to pay to speak freely is an interesting notion.

I don't know all the facts. I just know enough to bring up this interesting topic, and this thread seems like an appropriate place to do so.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  6. Rob Monster

Thanks for that.

Before anyone places too much stock in Jordan Peterson, I would definitely watch this expose video:

https://us.tv/WXYuqrO8LLo/

Jordan Peterson is a gifted orator and has made more people spiritual and contemplative about their purpose and mission. However, there is more to that story.

The video is a must-watch for context. For the moment it is also still on YouTube:

I would expect that guy's channel to be wiped any day now.

7. Silentptnr

Silentptnr Top Member VIP

A bit off topic but GD shows the domain Thinkspot was purchased for 17k.

8. Rob Monster

Seems like dog of a brand name for that price, particularly when there is this:

https://www.thinkspot.com.au

Registered in 1986, operating as a live site, in the same category, and owned by News Corp.

That right there reeks of either (1) amateur hour, or (2) endorsement at a very high level. Time will tell which one it is but I am betting on (1).

Jordan Peterson is like a flickering flame, working overtime to stay relevant.

9. MapleDots

MapleDots Account Auto-Closed

Funny, that's what I think of all the old timer bands.

10. wormfood

wormfood ---- Gold Account VIP

11. Bernard Wright

Where/how do you folks tap into the sales data like that?

12. Rob Monster

13. thinkthpot

thinkthpot Established Member

Thinkthpot will be the haven for all nazis and pedos and violent and doxxers. Thinkthpot will not have to remove any contents unless court ordered. This will be a great service to the free speech movement.

14. Rob Monster

Welcome Newbie.

As for your description, it sounds more like a HONEYPOT than a THINKPOT

Note to self: Avoid Thinkpot like the plague.

15. wormfood

16. Bernard Wright

[​IMG]

How does one search sales data like that?

17. wormfood

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice