Dynadot

Social Network Gab.com being threatened by GoDaddy: 24 hours to transfer or suspension

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainguy50

Established Member
Impact
backstory: Gab is a social network alternative to twitter. their selling point is free speech (all speech is welcome, including what you believe might be hate speech.) which is basically is the first amendment. no unlawful material is allowed, but virtually any speech is. recently they purchased the "gab com" domain for $220k.

this site is very controversial as a result, with mainstream media outlets claiming it is popular with nazi and anti-semite messages. the site has 800,000 users and has experienced modest growth recently so it really isnt all bad hate speech. regardless, those disgusting messages on the site by some users are also lawful no matter how distasteful they are. as a result of these media attacks, (and the recent revelation that the synagogue shooter in pittsburgh yesterday had an active gab profile) gab is being unfairly targeted by smear campaigns online reporting the site as "a hate speech site" via email to gab's service providers.

gabs host (microsoft) revoked its contract with gab a few months ago

gabs payment providers (paypal and stripe) just revoked their services

just a few minutes ago, godaddy has said they will stop working with gab:
(i cant post the image or link idk why)
"BREAKING: Godaddy is threatening to suspend our domain (which is worth six figures) if we do not transfer to a new provider by tomorrow. This is madness."

the complexity of the situation is compounded by the fact that Gab is on a payment plan to fully own the domain since they recently purchased it. the broker/escrow agent control this which makes it even more difficult for the company to transfer to a new registrar by EOD tomorrow.

I understand that Godaddy is a private business and its clauses may allow it to do this, but this seems extreme overreaction. "24 hours to transfer or else" is a very menacing way of doing business.

-if you were in charge of gab what would you do? create your own payment processor, host, and DNS? they got deplatformed quickly... i guess they could try to get an offshore Hosting company or invest in native hosting.

-what is the most "free speech" friendly DNS provider there is?

-is it fair for internet infrastructure companies to de-platform a small upstart social network because of controversial speech? or should companies like DNS and hosting should be regulated and allow any customer as long as it is lawful content being hosted.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
quote:
"Mike Mann‏ @mikemanndotcom Nov 9

The semantic anti semitic web of monsters. A monstrosity. City by city. Let me guess the Jewish DA didn't appreciate our German domainer friend Rob Monster hosting all that illegal anti-Jewish and other hate speech (Epik hosting Gab), plus other horrific materials from criminals?"

@Rob Monster

well I guess The Netherlands are pretty close to germany
but does that make you a real german?

and are you really hosting gab.com???

Last edited:
•••
quote:
"Mike Mann‏ @mikemanndotcom Nov 9

The semantic anti semitic web of monsters. A monstrosity. City by city. Let me guess the Jewish DA didn't appreciate our German domainer friend Rob Monster hosting all that illegal anti-Jewish and other hate speech (Epik hosting Gab), plus other horrific materials from criminals?"

@Rob Monster

well I guess The Netherlands are pretty close to germany
but does that make you a real german?

and are you really hosting gab.com???

First of all, we are only the registrar. We are not hosting Gab's website nor are we the DNS provider.

Second, I believe hate and misanthropy of a small minority can be overcome through love and prayer from the many. There is a strong and active Christian core there. The community is constructively engaging the dialog. You can see it here. I created a username there for the first time last Monday, and am mainly engaged in the faith channel.

As for how some members of the media and the radical left on Twitter have attempted to characterize me as some kind far-right anti-semite, it is obviously bunk. I am conservative on economic issues and progressive on social issues, pro-choice (it is free will). I love everyone including the Jews and even those who might not like me. I grew in Jewish neighborhood. Last year, I was in Israel for a week.

As for my background, my family is Dutch. I think the Monster family emigrated from Germany in the 1200's to the Dutch coast. There is a town there called Monster. My family fought against the Nazis in WWII. My Grandfather harbored allied paratroopers who arrived in northern Holland by night. In case you are wondering, the penalty for being caught doing this was execution.

•••
As for how some members of the media and the radical left on Twitter have attempted to characterize me as some kind far-right anti-semite, it is obviously bunk.
Left are the worst antisemites. Especially radical left. Just BTW.

•••
•••
Left are the worst antisemites. Especially radical left. Just BTW.

Golan - I am not sure on the policy of NP, but I think that some people would call that comment hate speech. Those folks might have to retreat their safe place, or request for your post be removed. As for me, I still love everyone and I am really not a big fan of the whole label approach used in the propagation of the continuing left-right Hegelian dialectic. The sooner people realize that they are being played, the sooner we can move on to more productive things. In the meantime, free speech is airing some dirty laundry and near as I can tell that is happening in a non-partisan way.

•••
Golan - I am not sure on the policy of NP, but I think that some people would call that comment hate speech. Those folks might have to retreat their safe place, or request for your post be removed. As for me, I still love everyone and I am really not a big fan of the whole label approach used in the propagation of the continuing left-right Hegelian dialectic.

You just contradicted yourself. And for somebody who is not a fan, you did it as well on your blog post. Think the only thing that was removed were all your Forever Domains link drops. You had like 3/4 in this thread.

•••
gab is just a social media network and so is twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. so what? i think their platform sucks and im not a member, but gab isnt doing anything hateful. does everyone in this thread have a problem with all the elected democrat politicians who are outright calling for violence? why arent they getting kicked off? or black lives matters? there is a lot of hate out there. there always has been. in any event, this is why we NEVER EVER use godaddy for ANYTHING! EVER! cant believe people give them a dime.

•••
•••
•••
I live in the uk.

I have a range of views. Some left some right. Accepting an entire world view and sticking to it no matter what is a very sad way to live.

•••
I am really not a big fan of the whole label approach used in the propagation of the continuing left-right Hegelian dialectic.

Then maybe it's time to stop contributing to it via tweeting divisive rhetoric with made up statistics?

upload_2018-11-18_0-34-2.png

Last edited:
•••
I live in the uk.

I have a range of views. Some left some right. Accepting an entire world view and sticking to it no matter what is a very sad way to live.

Oh, the UK.

That makes it all the more apparent why we left your country and started our own.

•••
•••
Anger? LOL, I am not the foreigner coming here, telling people in other countries how to run their websites and their businesses - or trashing others for their views, whatever they may be. My life is great, and by that, I mean it is exceptional. My business is great (in fact, it has more than quintupled since we left the communist state of California and moved to Texas). My family is great with wonderful kids who are young adults - never once being arrested, no drugs, no drinking, self-supporting entrepreneurs. My living situation is great, living RIGHT ON THE BEACH, looking out right now over the water of the Gulf Coast. Hell, even my credit score is great now lol. I can't think of much to complain about at the moment! I am thankful, I am grateful and more importantly - I am blessed. But thank you for your concern!
IMG_20170708_075154.jpg IMG_20170708_075537.jpg texas-icon.png

•••
Anger? LOL, I am not the foreigner coming here, telling people in other countries how to run their websites and their businesses - or trashing others for their views, whatever they may be. My life is great, and by that, I mean it is exceptional. My business is great (in fact, it has more than quintupled since we left the communist state of California and moved to Texas). My family is great with wonderful kids who are young adults - never once being arrested, no drugs, no drinking, self-supporting entrepreneurs. My living situation is great, living RIGHT ON THE BEACH, looking out right now over the water of the Gulf Coast. Hell, even my credit score is great now lol. I can't think of much to complain about at the moment! I am thankful, I am grateful and more importantly - I am blessed. But thank you for your concern!
Show attachment 102673 Show attachment 102674 Show attachment 102675

Very defensive. I wonder why

•••
I have no problem defending myself against foreign trolls who attempt to police my thoughts and words. But I do clearly see your attempt to silence and intimidate me.

•••
Can someone please ban whenpillarsfall?

•••
On which grounds ? He's be around longer than you Mr Anonymous Dupe.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
im ignoring foreign trolls for the rest of the day.

•••
•••
im ignoring foreign trolls for the rest of the day.

Foreign? I always assumed namepros was international? And Gab isn't only for US residents... So why am I foreign?

And why are you running away from free speech?

•••
Oh, the UK.

That makes it all the more apparent why we left your country and started our own.

So you're a colonist then? and therefore also a foreigner. Ridiculous comment.

Foreign? I always assumed namepros was international? And Gab isn't only for US residents... So why am I foreign?

And why are you running away from free speech?

Agree and that's why NP uses .com and not .US.

•••
Oh, the UK.

You didn't start a country.. I'm sure there were Native Americans living there once upon a time...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back