Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
I'd like to get some appraisals from the members of this forum on the name
Social.com

This is the 6 letter dictionary word.

Some history on the name:

I registered the name in 1995. In that year, I was using the name for a web site I called the Social Cafe. The Social Cafe was Cool Site of the Day on Jun 22, 1995 :)

In October of 2006 the name was out of my possession for a couple weeks until my Registrar at the time, Namesecure, was able to recover it. It is now at Moniker and I intend to put it up for auction in early 2007.

Your kind opinoins are appreciated!

- BlueSkies

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
BlueSkies said:
That pretty well sums up what I've been trying to do. Before last October, 2006 (when the domain was stolen/recovered), I knew very little about Social Networking. I've learned quite a lot since then in going through the attempted sale and now development of the site.

This isn't a full time project for me, though I would like it to be someday. I'd like to connect with a top notch development team or CEO that could take Social.com to the next level. Not quite sure where to find them though ...

BlueSkies

The question is: do you have the concept and funds to connect with such people or would you be looking for a solid concenpt and then eventually VC to begin with?

IB

•••
Hi,

I've also been working on my site, Links.com, for a bit over a half a year now. Building a business on the Internet is like building a business anywhere else - it is very tough with tons of competition. A good name (like good lot) helps, but there is no guarantee. I was looking at lots of domains during the last SEDO auction that received reasonable six figure bids, but none reached the reserves, which was probably in the seven figure range.

My guess is that your domain, like mine, is probably in the low to mid six figure range, but to get beyond that, you (like myself), will really have to devote your time to it. If you attempt to "partner" up with a team (something I have done in the past), you will probably end up with lots of problems and not so much money (they don't call them Vulture Capitalists for nothing). So, to make money you have to invest lots of your time, energy, and commitment. T'aint easy, but if it was, then everyone would have millions.

Good luck, and keep in touch.

Rich

IntelBank.com said:
The question is: do you have the concept and funds to connect with such people or would you be looking for a solid concenpt and then eventually VC to begin with?

IB

Hi,

I think that this is too early stage for Venture Capital money. Probably would need to have friends/family investment or possibly angel investors. All approaches have their risks, but sometimes it is necessary to take on the risk. The biggest risk is signing over the name and then losing it to creditors because the company goes sour. I prefer the bootstrap myself (self sweat and money equity), since I do not believe there is an easy way to success.

Rich

•••
My suggestion: parking it better developping it now, Miss.com cost me $200000+ to develop and promote , finally , I point it to a parking site and sit for future!

Good name always be good, don't need worry time!

John

•••
You should hold on to the domain and develop the website. Social Networking will only expand and your domain will make you profit slowly but surely for many years to come. I say you should only sell it when you are desperate for money. How did you loose this domain name anyways?

•••
richrf said:
Hi,

I think that this is too early stage for Venture Capital money. Probably would need to have friends/family investment or possibly angel investors. All approaches have their risks, but sometimes it is necessary to take on the risk. The biggest risk is signing over the name and then losing it to creditors because the company goes sour. I prefer the bootstrap myself (self sweat and money equity), since I do not believe there is an easy way to success.

Rich
I absolutely agree. Going through any type of borrowed capital is equal to surrendering a % of control - never a good idea. Reason why i'm asking is, because i've been following this thread from its conception and haven't seen any real progress, which, for a domain of this caliber, leaves me wondering. There's potential big revenue just left laying on the ground...

•••
Smiler said:
How did you loose this domain name anyways?

I think I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Basically, someone used social engineering to get access to my account at Namesecure. Once in, they transferred the name to GoDaddy. It was there for about a week and a half before I recovered it. I have since transferred it to Moniker.

BlueSkies

•••
Did anybody mention "SOCIAL" is a Spanish word too, meaning the same?

Anyways I think you will get $500k if you sell it now.

•••
BlueSkies said:
I was working towards that (more generally anything related to social networking) a couple weeks ago when ... hacked. Parking the page for now while I regroup :)

BlueSkies

lots of Joomla sites have been hacked through com_expose
the patch is easy, were you using this component?

•••
WOW!
MONSTER of a name there!

Its worth several hundred grand right now.

More to a serious company with a great business plan on how to
make millions with it.

Great to see such a powerful name on the forum! :)

•••
Wow, that domain is top in the list of all social websites. 7 digits figure. We have a millionaire here!

•••
redshift said:
lots of Joomla sites have been hacked through com_expose
the patch is easy, were you using this component?

No - it had nothing to do with Joomla (was an ftp attack), but that's all I can say. I do thank you for the heads up on this component though.

- BlueSkies

•••
Smiler said:
You should hold on to the domain and develop the website. Social Networking will only expand ...

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for Google to include a new web site in the index? I can see the Googlebot hitting my pages occasionally in the access logs, but don't see any Google search results when I search on:

site:social.com

Thanks,

BlueSkies

•••
BlueSkies said:
I think I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Basically, someone used social engineering to get access to my account at Namesecure. Once in, they transferred the name to GoDaddy. It was there for about a week and a half before I recovered it. I have since transferred it to Moniker.

BlueSkies

What is "social engineering"?

•••
One thing nobody has mentioned is that MySpace.com, Facebook.com and YouTube.com were weak domains prior to becoming social networking megabrands. This suggests you don't need a premium generic name to succeed in this field.

If generic names are so valuable, how come Amazon isn't called Books.com, eBay isn't called Auction.com, and Google isn't called SearchEngine.com? All 3 could have bought their generic equivalents and switched to them.

Presumablly they didn't because brand is infinitely more valuable than name. The value of blockbuster generic .coms differ according to the nature and structure of the industry they operate in.

For example, if an industry is fragmented, ie it has alot of small players, but as a whole is worth billions and each customer is very valuable, the obvious generic .com is worth a fortune because you can sweep up alot of confused direct navigation traffic and people looking to make sense out of the breadth of choice available.

The domain Debt.com would fall into this category. The debt consolidation industry is worth a bomb because so many people are in debt but there are 1000's of advisers desparate to switch you to another loan for a few hundred bucks commission. Here, having the obvious generic domain could give you a massive branding advantage amid a throng of different players and the value of the domain itself would add to your credibility. Hence, I would value Debt.com at $5m-$10m.

I see Social.com at completely the opposite end of the spectrum and value it at $300k-$500k. Online social networking is dominated by YouTube, Facebook, and MySpace. The bigger your registered member base the more watercooler and dinner party mentions you'll get and the more people will register, so sites grow by a snowball effect. Word of mouth is more important than generic domain credibility, search engine rankings and PPC traffic.

I don't think it would make commercial sense for YouTube or MySpace to buy Social.com to capture a few thousand extra hits. If anything, that would dilute their brand, not enhance it. Less confusion and fragmentation exists than in other industries, you can't just wave your blockbuster generic domain and herd people to your site. The laggards joining Facebook, MySpace, and YouTube do so because they are sick of hearing about it from friends and TV and want to know what all the fuss is about. Other laggards are not going to have a social networking epithany experience because somebody buys Social.com and develops it.

Another critical factor, is an extra customer isn't worth much for Facebook, MySpace, or YouTube. You need tens of millions to make these concepts work but once you get there, the marginal revenue from an extra member diminishes. Again, this is different to an industry like Debt consolidation, where you can run a very profitable small to medium sized business on a thousand customers per year. If you buy Debt.com and it wins you another 5,000 debt consolidation customers per year, it will pay for itself within 5-10 years.

Anybody starting a social networking site would have a major problem competing against the giant snowballs already in the market, and realistically, as long as the current fad lasts, it's these guys who are going to be in pole position whatever domain somebody else comes up with.

I say as long as the fad lasts, because in the early to mid 1990s when I should have been registering domains, I spent most of my Internet time on chat sites and within the tiny microcosm of people with Internet access at the time they were as popular as as social networking sites are today. I looked up Chat.com and it seems that Download.com use it to forward people to their list of free to download chat and messenger software. That seems like a pretty unglamorous end for what would have been considered Social.com's equal back then if anybody had realised how valuable domains would turn out.

If you want to start a social networking site it makes more economic sense to register RedCarrot.com or the equivalent and spend $1m on programming. If the concept is original enough you'll get far more commercial benefit than spending $1m on a domain.

•••
I agree with akcampbell. It is a very good site name, but it is not a good brand name. Get yourself a good brand name and use it to promote social.com.

For example, Books.com is Barnes & Noble, Money.com is CNN Money, Game.com is Hasbro etc.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back