Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
I'd like to get some appraisals from the members of this forum on the name
Social.com

This is the 6 letter dictionary word.

Some history on the name:

I registered the name in 1995. In that year, I was using the name for a web site I called the Social Cafe. The Social Cafe was Cool Site of the Day on Jun 22, 1995 :)

In October of 2006 the name was out of my possession for a couple weeks until my Registrar at the time, Namesecure, was able to recover it. It is now at Moniker and I intend to put it up for auction in early 2007.

Your kind opinoins are appreciated!

- BlueSkies

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is the right climate to sell a name like this. A quick look at www.Mashable.com reveals how many social networking sites are launched every day.

A quick sale might easily yield $1 million or more.
Waiting for the right buyer could bring much more.

The very best of luck with this sale.

•••
BlueSkies - there was some issues with this name at DNF a while ago, are you aware of those issues?

•••
Should be a good one.
Good luck with the auction.

By the way, did you also try to sell for $750,000 on GreatDomains a few years ago - what happened?

- Vince

•••
BuysDomains said:
BlueSkies - there was some issues with this name at DNF a while ago, are you aware of those issues?

Yes, of course. As I mentioned in the thread starter, the domain name was taken from me in October, 2006. I had some great tips from various folks at DNF on the steps I should take to recover the name. I am forever greatful for the help and advice I received at DNF. The thread that took place at DNF on this topic is no longer available per a decision by management there, which I respect.

I also go by the handle BlueSkies at DNF where you will note that I have become a Verified DNF Member. This essentially means that I took the time to prove my identity to that forum, so that I could continue as a trusted member of that community.

Hopefully this answers your question - I would like this to continue as an appraisal only thread.

Thanks,

BlueSkies

•••
your a future millionaire

congratulations :D

•••
vincenzo said:
Should be a good one.
Good luck with the auction.

By the way, did you also try to sell for $750,000 on GreatDomains a few years ago - what happened?

- Vince

Yes, I did once list it at GreatDomains. I think it may have been more like 5 or so years ago. I don't remember the exact amount it was listed for, but I believe it was greater than what you suggested.

The dot com bubble was either about to burst, or had already happened, so my timing was not very good with that listing. I think people were more concerned about minimizing their losses, finding a new job, etc. than buying a great domain name :)

- BlueSkies

•••
No words to describe, really fantastic name. 1-5m $.

•••
First of, good thing that you're able to recover this domain.

Social is the new buzz... if you really need money then this is the right time to sell your domain but if you want it to be more valuable then get a biz plan, good concept, get some investors, develop it and create your own buzz about it then who knows google/yahoo/msft etc. might offer you some amount that you can't refuse :) .

My guess is if you sell just the domain now i would say maybe around 150k - 550k but if you have it up and running with lots of users/hits then you're looking at 7M - 15M.

Good luck!

•••
If you don't mind me asking what is your month to month type-in traffic like? Also, I'm confused why you don't at least have the domain parked so you can at least monetize it a little until it's sold or developed. Other than that, I would not be surprised if it brought 7 figures. Good luck.

•••
greggish said:
If you don't mind me asking what is your month to month type-in traffic like? Also, I'm confused why you don't at least have the domain parked so you can at least monetize it a little until it's sold or developed. Other than that, I would not be surprised if it brought 7 figures. Good luck.

I was actually in the process of creating my own blog, prior to the name being taken from my possession for the 2 weeks in Oct. 2006. That's why it wasn't previously parked and why I do not have parking statistics available.

BTW - I highly recommend Joomla to anyone looking for a powerful content management system (much more than just blog software).

I'm not currently parking the name because I thought it would be more useful to setup a Web page to provide information and post updates.

- BlueSkies

•••
BlueSkies said:
I was actually in the process of creating my own blog, prior to the name being taken from my possession for the 2 weeks in Oct. 2006. That's why it wasn't previously parked and why I do not have parking statistics available.

BTW - I highly recommend Joomla to anyone looking for a powerful content management system (much more than just blog software).

I'm not currently parking the name because I thought it would be more useful to setup a Web page to provide information and post updates.

- BlueSkies
:lala: Powerful name and worth a mint. :snaphappy: Gotta take a picture of it!

And i second the Joomla plug.:bingo: Just tried it, scarey as hell at first, and now I love it!:kickass:

•••
I think this thread is not where your going to find an accurate appraisal. Now, personally - I would attempt to get a hold of the MySpace / FaceBook gang - I think this is a perfect domain name for them. I also believe they have the deep pockets to commmand the right price. I believe this name will fetch Several Million. I look forward to posting it on NameBio.com

Justin

•••
I'm trying to be conservative here, but with a dictionary term that represents the current hype in online community existence + the term is generic, applying to a wide variety of social/networking/etc. things, i'd conservatively say around the $3-5 mil marker.
that's for the name alone, if you're playing your cards right though, i'd start to either work content or rent the name out to the likes of myspace or a competitor and snap a percentage of their revenue.
The rent/lease option is usually frowned upon, yet with a name like that? Since you can establish admin access to anyone, without giving that person the opportunity to access your who-is, i'd say it may be worth a thought...or two.

•••
Excellent domain. Very probably 7 figures, developed... could be 8.

•••
Hey, reminds me of Microsoft's slogan for their new Zune, "Welcome to the Social"

Names of this caliber really can't be appraised with precision. Your eventual sales price will depend largely on your eagerness to sell and ability to find, and negotiate with, a willing buyer. I expect the price in today's market would be in the $500k to $750k range, but under the right circumstances -- sky's the limit!

:gn: Good luck,

RJ

•••
I'd expect no less than $300k for this one, even with a quick sell. Great domain.

•••
-RJ- said:
Names of this caliber really can't be appraised with precision. RJ
So true. You should perhaps contact someone and take it to Monikers live auction that is coming up at the Traffic West Conference in Vegas.

I am not sure of the criteria, I am sure this would pass any scrutiny that they may place on a domain, as long as there could be a reserve placed on it.

This is a powerful word let alone a domain name.

•••
That's a 7 figure domain if I've ever seen one! Best of luck

•••
You should perhaps contact someone and take it to Monikers live auction that is coming up at the Traffic West Conference in Vegas
If you do let someone broker it for you, work out better terms in writing. If this name sells for 2 million, right now you'd pay 15% OR $300k in commissions for a name that will sell itself. They should pay you for the privilege of selling it; it will get them lots of attention.

•••
even with a quick sale you can get 6 digits, with a bit of time and knocking on the right doors at least 7 digits.
indeed a very powerfull and easy word to remember.
social means the same in several languages therefor increases it's value.

the real question is.... will you invest or spend the money?
lol :)

good luck with the future sale

•••
Regardless of any site ever built on it, and neglecting traffic/revenue stats:

Based as a dictionary word, our analysis system estimates your domain (SOCIAL.COM) is worth near...

$330,124

Google Results: 647,000,000
Number of exact Overture results: 43682
Alexa Ranking: 1,187,998
Number of Words/Parts: 1
Amount Deducted for Alexa: $7
Number of Characters: 6
Number of Hyphens: 0
Amount Deducted for Length: $6
Amount Deducted for Hyphens: $0

'Nuff said :) 7 figs is a bit too high IMO, but with the site and some great stats, then go for it!

Oh, and your thread DID catch quite a bit of attention ;)

•••
verbster said:
They should pay you for the privilege of selling it; it will get them lots of attention.
No bout adout it!:$: :$: :$: :$: :$: :$: :$:

Very good point, by the way.

•••
I don't see how you can say 7 figures is a bit high. Look at the social networking industry it has exploded. If you plan to sell I would consider finding a way to contact myspace or facebook as mentioned above. I can tell you without a doubt I don't think there is one board member here who wouldn't love to have that domain name. Best of luck to you in development or sales.

•••
chulium said:
Regardless of any site ever built on it, and neglecting traffic/revenue stats:

Based as a dictionary word, our analysis system estimates your domain is worth near...
So we all know the story of Vodka.com. Purely generic word.

With all that knowledge aside, what would this formula have valued it?

Take into consideration that perhaps two months ago, when it was not in the news, what the traffic might have been then. I am sure the traffic has jumped significantly since it became such a newsworthy sale.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back