domain Social.com appraisal request

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueSkies

Established Member
Impact
0
I would like to seek a current appraisal on the value of the domain name Social.com to an end user.

I have the possibility of using it in a new venture (unrelated to the current site) and would need to value it.

Your opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott
 
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
Unless you need the lump sum why sell it…? The market is not that good at the moment why not lease with a buy out clause based on revenue in say three years or at least try and get a cut of future revenue from the name….

If it is a start up company that wants it there are benefits to them and you e.g. they don't have to tie up large amounts of cash in the name to start they may have say xxxx per month but not necessarily xxxxxx in a lump sum(so there offer could be lower) allows them more funds to develop name in return should make extra revenue (makes them value domain higher) you get guaranteed income plus %

If they default the name returns to you as long as the amount is more than you current and projected income from the site you win
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Its a good domain right now, worth low to mid 6 figures unless you have the skills to sell it to a company like facebook or google, but its not a great name overall to hang onto. I would sell it while "social" is a hot term like it is now. Social media, social networking and social everything is hot right now but 10 years from now people might not use the word social like that anymore. Kind of like the word cyberspace in the 90s. It was huge and now its an outdated term. Its not like owning something like movies.com or cars.com where movies and cars are words that will probably always exist and be popular. Social by itself is also almost too generic of a word. Sell it soon!

Agree with this viewpoint, and the amount - 250-300k. I'd be looking to sell this sooner rather than later, it is a name for the times.

There is also somewhat of a cost in it it sitting around given that it is possibly time dated. If the name is going to have relevance it needs to be in the hands of someone who will do something with it on a fairly substantial scale. It isn't a name that can be just left to appreciate (possibly close to its "peak") or developed in a small way (probably needs to be making 30k plus per year to justify holding). If it was me I'd look to get it in a live auction.
 
0
•••
My automated program (not certified) says its worth more than 100 thousands dollars. If some one is offering over 600 thousand I'ld be on it. You can turn that 600 thousand into more with the right investments.
 
0
•••
0
•••
0
•••
If you are interested I can attempt to do an appraisal for this domain name, it just takes me 3 days to do so. Some sample appraisals I have done were elaws.info and england.am if you look them up on this board.

My off the top guess without proper analysis tells me I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for low $XXX,XXX. If you want to find a site for good sales comparables I suggest dnsaleprice.com, it's what I would use to find similar sales.
 
0
•••
according to estivbot it is 460,000 USD and from valuate.com is 601,000 USD.

sale is a must to a investor who will need to put more $ to develop it but hard to rich big players from 0 anyway. a new, twisted idea is required to go to next level.

Best of luck with it if it is yours,
R.
 
0
•••
I would like to seek a current appraisal on the value of the domain name Social.com to an end user.

I have the possibility of using it in a new venture (unrelated to the current site) and would need to value it.

Your opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

Very nice name. Who would have imagined the growth of social networking a few years back.
I have no problem putting a price on this name.
Now that the dot-com bust is over and companies are willing to take the internet seriously I would expect at least 5-7 Million off of this name.
JMHO
Good Luck!
 
0
•••
it sounds good could be a good social networking site
 
0
•••
OP says he hasn't received any offers on this domain in a long time?? Because it wasn't for sale?? IMO, whether it was listed for sale or not, if some major players wanted to get their hands on this, you would have heard from them in some manner or another. I agree with some of the people who put forth the idea that most of the major players already have social networking platforms, so BIG money demand is probably lower than most think. Startups won't have the funding and it's unlikely that VCs are going to pour money into social networking startups when the established major sites like Facebook and Myspace can't even monetize their traffic. If anything, I think we'll start to see a shift towards niche social networking sites, whose sole purpose is to funnel targeted traffic to a company's main product line... I.E. Ford starts a car-related social networking site as a marketing campaign to drive car sales. Maybe, maybe not. I also think that the social networking craze is a fad that has grown largely popular by the fact that more and more people were being introduced to the Internet in mass and it only made sense that they would invariably pool somewhere... I think people will get bored of it after awhile and start to branch out and explore more of the Internet and find more specialized, niche environments in which to dwell. But what do I know?

Anyway, I'd say low - mid $xxx,xxx
 
0
•••
OP says he hasn't received any offers on this domain in a long time?? Because it wasn't for sale?? IMO, whether it was listed for sale or not, if some major players wanted to get their hands on this, you would have heard from them in some manner or another. I agree with some of the people who put forth the idea that most of the major players already have social networking platforms, so BIG money demand is probably lower than most think. Startups won't have the funding and it's unlikely that VCs are going to pour money into social networking startups when the established major sites like Facebook and Myspace can't even monetize their traffic. If anything, I think we'll start to see a shift towards niche social networking sites, whose sole purpose is to funnel targeted traffic to a company's main product line... I.E. Ford starts a car-related social networking site as a marketing campaign to drive car sales. Maybe, maybe not. I also think that the social networking craze is a fad that has grown largely popular by the fact that more and more people were being introduced to the Internet in mass and it only made sense that they would invariably pool somewhere... I think people will get bored of it after awhile and start to branch out and explore more of the Internet and find more specialized, niche environments in which to dwell. But what do I know?

Anyway, I'd say low - mid $xxx,xxx

I agree with your view here
 
0
•••
I agree with your view here

I'm not receiving any offers because the name is not for sale. I didn't mean to imply that I've had no interest. I frequently receive inquiries about people wanting to buy Social.com.

The intention of this thread was to try to get a valuation for purposes of using the name in a new venture, not for selling the name. I appreciate all the feedback that people have shared!

Thanks,

- Scott
 
0
•••
I still think the appraisals in this thread are way out of line. Talk.com sold for "only" $500,000 in July. I just don't see Social being anywhere near that keyword.
 
0
•••
I would like to seek a current appraisal on the value of the domain name Social.com to an end user.

I have the possibility of using it in a new venture (unrelated to the current site) and would need to value it.

Your opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott


reg fee maybe mid xx
 
0
•••
reg fee maybe mid xx

lol telking, reg fee hahaha =P.

As for my own opinion on the value, I have no opinion on the domain value as of right now, but may later.
 
0
•••
The guy above me necro'd first + I haven't weighed in on this yet.

One of many english definitions for "social" is - a festive gathering to foster introductions (courtesy wiktionary). I see this as an introduction site and not a typical and unprofitable social networking site.

Introductions can be amorous(dating),networking(business),friendship/companionship(a sort of "e" penpal), or perhaps even a virtual world to meet people in(essentially an online never ending party).

As to value I suspect domainers would pay $60k-$150k for speculative reasons. That valuation is based on the 135k exact searches and $.91 CPC. An enduser price is too difficult for me to guess at.

Good luck!
 
0
•••
EXCELLENT NAME
List for auction with Start Bid @ $500k
I would expect to sell in a bidding war @ $2 million+

People saying only $100k in current economy are way of the mark.
1 Billion Google Search results for Keyword "Social" surely may give you indication of value.
 
1
•••
If it isn't generating anything now, it could. In regards to who would buy this - not sure. I see no value in this beyond the name, which holds a lot, but without an idea, the domain itself should net you a solid $100k for the domain alone. If you want to be stingy, you may get more, but I personally wouldn't spend more than that to acquire the domain. It's only worth what someone would pay - a fool and his money are soon parted. Without a solid marketing plan around it I think it's worthless. I know I'll get yelled at, but it's the truth.
 
0
•••
This name is just crazy! These are the years of Social Network explosion, so I think this domain could currently fetch more than we'd imagine.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
If I were the owner of this domain, I would have used the newsletter Rick Latona to attract potential buyers.

There is always a chance to get a proposal on which it is impossible to refuse :)
 
0
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back