IT.COM

So you THOUGHT Flippa was shady?

NameSilo
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
Sorry in advance, Kevin. Should have had your people leave me alone.

Flippa has been the subject of much controversy over the last 6 months. Speculative talk has ranged from shill bidding to bloated sales reports. Most of the accusations are pure garbage but the company is sketchy as hell.

While you might be thinking that I’m bitter because I haven’t any luck there, you should know that I moved $75,000 of domains in 6 months. At one point, I was the first to go to bat for them all because I try to show some loyalty when someone is taking care of me.

However, I recently had my Super Seller status revoked “due to comments made towards other users.” In fact, this is due to my response to the auction where an individual claimed to have an offer on a 3 day old domain of 10,000 bitcoins — that’s $2,500,000. Apparently, calling out a scammer is grounds for retaliation from the business.

I suppose this is because Flippa values net revenue more than customer satisfaction.

Now that you know my motivation I will move on and share a little bit of insider information.

If you’re paying full price for listing fees and upgrades you have been scammed.

They have gone on the defensive in the past by saying that they “subsidize” upgrades for their top sellers. Subsidize is a cute word for giveaway.

I received somewhere between $3,000 to $5,000 in “subsidies” — as a private seller — over 6 months. At one point, I received $2,000 in credits at one time.

Now I won’t lie, sometimes I had to pay for listings. When I did, I still got hooked up. For every upgrade or listing I purchased I received 2 free.

So when I paid, which was rare, I paid 1/3 of what you’ve been paying. I’m sure you now see why some people make a killing off their platform while others have lost hundreds of dollars per listing.

Oh you thought Editor’s choice was for good domains? Nah. It has been a filter for friends of Flippa.

When I sold on Flippa’s platform, I was given Editor’s Choice for nearly all of my domains. Why? Because I asked.

I know some of you noticed that only 3-5 people showed up when visiting that page. Some might not care but others might understand the value of this.

Domains at Flippa sell for much more when given the Editor’s Choice designation.

Oh so you suspect shilling? I’ve known many users who have shilled their way to a profit. It doesn’t benefit Flippa to eliminate shilling. High sales mean higher success fees.

Simple as that.

Straight up scamming? Yep.

I’ve reported verifiable scams to customer support and I didn’t hear back until after the auction closed. They stated that it was now the buyer’s responsibility to report the sale if something fishy occurred.

Hmmmm.

Would the buyer receive a refund? No. Would the seller be suspended? Yes. Would Flippa still profit? Damn right.

At the end of the day, you can choose to use their platform of boycott them.

I will choose the latter.

P.S.

Have you been curious about what Flippa has been doing?

They are working on adding small business to their platform.

Yeah. Dump money into selling physical business without verifying any of their claims.

That should work. Everyone is honest. Right?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So while an auction is running on Flippa and a domain name is listed on BrandBucket, what happens if someone hits buy it now on BrandBucket ?

Solution, the auction is cancelled on flippa and relisted without this particulrar name. It is a unique situation and solution is better than no solution, like the dozens of namepros auctions that run for brand bucket listed names. Perhaps a note should be made on each auction running on namepros for bb listed names stating something about what will happen if the listing sells on bb, the auction cannot be cancelled as it is against namepros auction rules.

Last edited:
•••
I did not say it was for Flippa to enforce, like I said stuff goes on until somebody can't deliver. BrandBucket IMO sees what goes on at Namepros as wholesale trading so they don't mind. But if it is on Flippa how do they know when I bid I want to sell it on BrandBucket ? I may see a BrandBucket approved brandable that I want to buy for development or to sell on my own and save 30%, heck I may have already arbitraged it to a buy side client that doesn't even know what Flippa is or has no interest. So BrandBucket thinking that just so long as the name stays on BrandBucket is ok, it might not work out that way.
The transfer process is clearly outlined in the listing description and has been reiterated in the listings comments string. The listings will first be transferred to the winners bb acct and then change in ownership of the domains will take place, it is up to the winners to do what they want after they own the domains.

Last edited:
•••
Solution, the auction is cancelled on flippa and relisted without this particulrar name. It is a unique situation and solution is better than no solution, like the dozens of namepros auctions that run for brand bucket listed names.

This should not be a way out, especially if reserve has already been met.

Can I cancel a Flippa auction if my domain is sold at BIN at Afternic, GoDaddy, Sedo etc during the auction?

Last edited:
•••
This should not be a way out, especially if reserve has already been met.
It is a unique circumstance and had to be discussed with flippa, their solution was to cancel the auction in the even this did unfold. Im not saying it's the best solution but it is the best solution that flippa had recommended. I think this will be the last portfolio i sell on flippa. Im certain if you go to sedo or godaddy and search for any domain that is listed on flippa they will also be for sale there. For this unique auction type i did consult both flippa and brand bucket to ensure everything was within their TOS.

•••
It is a unique circumstance and had to be discussed with flippa, their solution was to cancel the auction in the even this did unfold. Im not saying it's the best solution but it is the best solution that flippa had recommended. I think this will be the last portfolio i sell on flippa. Im certain if you go to sedo or godaddy and search for any domain that is listed on flippa they will also be for sale there. For this unique auction type i did consult both flippa and brand bucket to ensure everything was within their TOS.

This is not unique. It's just having your cake and eating it.

Sellers should make sure items are removed from other marketplaces before starting an auction to prevent such incident. What is right is for you to remove them items from sale at BB and not call this an unique circumstance.

•••
Sellers should make sure items are removed from other marketplaces before starting an auction to prevent such incident.

interesting..

as i stated above almost any domain currently running in auction on flippa is also still listed for sale on other marketplaces. Case in point, VPXB.com, auction currently running on flippa.

see below:

upload_2015-11-30_5-10-11.png

godaddy
upload_2015-11-30_5-10-40.png

sedo
upload_2015-11-30_5-11-8.png

parking
upload_2015-11-30_5-12-9.png

Afternic
upload_2015-11-30_5-13-10.png

Is no different if it is a BIN listing, Make offer etc.
We are all guilty of this, unlikely many of us go out and remove our listings from all of the marketplaces before starting an auction on flippa. Lets just not be hypocritical.

Last edited:
•••
interesting..

as i stated above almost any domain currently running in auction on flippa is also still listed for sale on other marketplaces. Case in point, VPXB.com, auction currently running on flippa.

see below:

Show attachment 19991

godaddy
Show attachment 19992

sedo
Show attachment 19993

parking
Show attachment 19994

Afternic
Show attachment 19995

Is no different if it is a BIN listing, Make offer etc.
We are all guilty of this, unlikely many of us go out and remove our listings from all of the marketplaces before starting an auction on flippa. Lets just not be hypocritical.

I have the right to reject an offer. Do you have the right to reject a BIN?

I'm not hypocritical. To cancel an auction once it is sold elsewhere is not right.

And yes, I'll accept any consequences if I can't deliver a sale in an auction. Do you?

•••

I'm not hypocritical. To cancel an auction once it is sold elsewhere is not right.

And yes, I'll accept any consequences if I can't deliver a sale in an auction. Do you?
certainly i will accept. But is against the point, the names are still listed elsewhere which was your point "Sellers should ensure they remove their domains from other marketplaces before listing on flippa"

Anyway, i have nothing else to explain, i have ensured i am operating within the TOS of both BB and Flippa by contacting both of them. I don't need to comment anymore.

•••
certainly i will accept. But is against the point, the names are still listed elsewhere which was your point "Sellers should ensure they remove their domains from other marketplaces before listing on flippa"

Anyway, i have nothing else to explain, i have ensured i am operating within the TOS of both BB and Flippa by contacting both of them. I don't need to comment anymore.

My main point is one should deliver in an auction when it ended with a winner and not having it cancelled. Please read again and not quote me out of context.

•••
Thanks for the info Shane.

I have been done with Flippa for a few months now.

•••
Thats why I don't list in auctions. Do I have to remove from sedo, afternic and goodaddy and namepros listing?
The above comments still confuse me, wether i have to or not, if I list on fl!ppa. Obviously others dont

Either/or see comment #435

•••
The transfer process is clearly outlined in the listing description and has been reiterated in the listings comments string. The listings will first be transferred to the winners bb acct and then change in ownership of the domains will take place, it is up to the winners to do what they want after they own the domains.

Oh I don't think there is anything wrong with running the auction, I hate to see people go through the hassle of an auction being cancelled. BrandBucket could allow people to freeze their listings so they don't show on their website.

•••
Oh I don't think there is anything wrong with running the auction, I hate to see people go through the hassle of an auction being cancelled. BrandBucket could allow people to freeze their listings so they don't show on their website.
Thanks, I will remember this For future

•••

Double selling is, in general, a problem but policing belongs to each venue.

It's easy for BB to see Afternic. It's easy for Flippa to see GoDaddy.com
The answer is quite simple for these venues:
  • Request listing gets taken down if you demand exclusivity at all sites
    • Warn and then Ban the account
  • Don't demand exclusivity and change your terms and make it clear that buyers might be disappointed if the name isn't available (see the Namepros Nancies thread for the fun this can produce!)
The only wrinkly is that most people peddling crap on Flippa are peddling names that have been around the reseller merry-go-around. Probably every conceivable interested party has already been spammed... so you're investing in a name that has been around the block. Every e-mail you send could just simply further go towards you being flagged for spam (this is *your* second offense even if the first was someone else). This means means names are listed on multiple sites everywhere.

All that said, as @equity78 states making it "offer" gets around the issue - you just don't accept any offer when it sells. Easy ! If you get a huge offer you could even bid on your own name! Or get an employee to do it for you! No one catches shill bidding anyway... you could even do what other members here have done and bid it up and fail to pay then offer less in PM without commision...win win!

If you set up an auction with no reserve then you should remove all other sales venues because the name will sell and all you are doing is pissing off the person who is "investing" in your name that has to clean up your bs mess. Of course people like to have names listed for "free" in case they get an offer and can buy it on the sly from the new holder...

Note: some people make offers to dead names all the time just to see people scramble and do this for fun.

The real problem arises when there is, as you say, a BIN involved. At this point the domain is not 100% available to be sold at all venues and you're setting yourself up to cause a problem. The solution here is simple - sites should ban accounts and make it impossible to setup new ones (no proxies, no vpns, IP blacklists, phone blacklists etc. all the crap you all complain about with having to send stuff to Flippa). Maybe it's not so easy because the legal fix is pretty much..... well ... useless.

•••
Thats why I don't list in auctions. Do I have to remove from sedo, afternic and goodaddy and namepros listing?
The above comments still confuse me, wether i have to or not, if I list on fl!ppa. Obviously others dont

You should NEVER have a BIN at more than one place at a time otherwise you might sell the name and not much else will happen :)

That's the problem with BB and Flippa (with no reserve). You could potentially have an issue.
Of course - if you credited the sale to the new owner I'm sure it would be ok (in general)

•••

You don't have to remove listings at Sedo, Afternic, or Go Daddy if they are make an offer. BrandBucket is buy it now, buy it now is what can present a problem.

•••
You don't have to remove listings at Sedo, Afternic, or Go Daddy if they are make an offer. BrandBucket is buy it now, buy it now is what can present a problem.

I have seen plenty of Buy it now domains on SEDO, Afternic, DNS, Flippa Catalog
I always check other platforms for low price before checking out.

Is that wrong ?

•••
I have seen plenty of Buy it now domains on SEDO, Afternic, DNS, Flippa Catalog
I always check other platforms for low price before checking out.

Is that wrong ?

If you have only get offers everywhere I don't think that it is bad, but if you have buy it now or direct bids in more than one place than it is wrong !

•••
There are NO OTHER marketplaces that allow sellers to close/delete auctions if there are bids on it.
Flippa once again has to make it to the news...and not for good reasons!

•••
There are NO OTHER marketplaces that allow sellers to close/delete auctions if there are bids on it.
Flippa once again has to make it to the news...and not for good reasons!

It's so weird, when you and I speak via PM, you're great and when you write stuff here...So reactionary!

Let's be clear, everyone - IF YOU'RE SELLING A DOMAIN VIA AUCTION, IT CANNOT BE SOLD ELSEWHERE DURING THE DURATION OF SAID AUCTION.

Will better confirm how we're going to re-hash the language on this. All my posts about exclusivity really, mainly, apply to non-auction listings (which is why I refer to them as "listings" - not "auctions").

Will better clarify, but once again...Anything at auction cannot be altered. Once the auction is live at all but especially when it draws action, you are committed to have the auction carry-through.

•••
It's so weird, when you and I speak via PM, you're great and when you write stuff here...So reactionary!

Let's be clear, everyone - IF YOU'RE SELLING A DOMAIN VIA AUCTION, IT CANNOT BE SOLD ELSEWHERE DURING THE DURATION OF SAID AUCTION.

Will better confirm how we're going to re-hash the language on this. All my posts about exclusivity really, mainly, apply to non-auction listings (which is why I refer to them as "listings" - not "auctions").

Will better clarify, but once again...Anything at auction cannot be altered. Once the auction is live at all but especially when it draws action, you are committed to have the auction carry-through.
Clear enough though JudgeMind talked about auction cancelletion.

•••

I am still great and so are you. I am not sure it's the same for the company you work for but let's see what the new implementations will bring.

I have no problem with standing corrected and apologizing if I misunderstood how the auction system works.
Easy.

•••
•••
It's interesting how I post a link to an auction that was a scam and it magically disappears within 1 day.

GO TEAM FLIPPA
I actually saw that the minute you posted and somehow forgot to mention. When you posted, the page didnt exist.

•••
I actually saw that the minute you posted and somehow forgot to mention. When you posted, the page didnt exist.

Just another reason no one should use Flippa.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back