Dynadot

discuss So what's your calling? And what do domain names have to do with it?

NameSilo
Watch

As you take inventory of your life, are you working towards a particular calling?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, definitely

votes
    37.1%
  • Yes, I think I am!

votes
    10.1%
  • Yes, but if I am honest with myself I need to get more focused on it

votes
    27.0%
  • No, I hung up on that call

votes
    3.4%
  • No, never called

votes
    5.6%
  • Call me maybe?

votes
    4.5%
  • This thread is stupid

votes
    12.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Earlier this month, I gave a TED-style talk at a leadership conference near Philadelphia. The title of my talk was called "Answering the call in a Digital Age". It is a reflection on my own journey from my youth onward. The talk ends with an up to date commentary on life as a tech entrepreneur who has gotten a bit of media attention. The audience for the live talk was predominantly Christian but I think the message has secular relevance:

Long story short, I believe everyone has gifts and talents. At any given time, some people have more financial resources available to them, but everyone has some unique combination of time, talent, treasure and circumstance. Moreover, from time to time, we all have our encounters with providence. Sometimes those are opportunities to move a step closer towards working on the thing that we are uniquely equipped to do.

Curious to know how many folks on NamePros think they might have some kind of calling and if so how domaining fits into that calling, if at all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In fact, that ruthless conspiracy has been around for thousands of years. The question is what do about it.

Option 1: idle in fear or just passively acknowledge that the world is going to hell in a handbasket but are not able to imagine that they can do something about it.

Option 2: refuse to be governed by fear or anxiety, empower others to be sovereign, and decentralize control while equipping people to ask questions and seek answers.

I choose option 2 but I know many choose option 1.

A false dilemma is a type of informal fallacy in which something is falsely claimed to be an "either/or" situation, when in fact there is at least one additional option.

There are many additional options. One being that most of the conspiracy theory stuff itself is nonsense.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
A false dilemma is a type of informal fallacy in which something is falsely claimed to be an "either/or" situation, when in fact there is at least one additional option.

There are many additional options. One being that most of the conspiracy theory stuff itself is non-sense.

Brad

Thanks Brad. Agree to disagree. The point is about not being in fear. So, we probably agree there. You think it is nonsense. I think it is not nonsense but that it doesn't matter. Subtle distinction.

•••
Thanks Brad. Agree to disagree. The point is about not being in fear. So, we probably agree there. You think it is nonsense. I think it is not nonsense but that it doesn't matter. Subtle distinction.

I am also just pointing out limiting options like that is simply a logical fallacy.
Most situations have far more than 2 potential options or outcomes.

There are other options like being indifferent. Having no strong stance or belief in something.

I am all for trying to change what is broken, but at the same time it is highly unlikely that the majority of people can even agree on what is broken. :)

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I am also just pointing out limiting options like that is simply a logical fallacy.
Most situations have far more than 2 potential options or outcomes.

There are other options like being indifferent. Having no strong stance or belief in something.

I am all for trying to change what is broken, but at the same time it is highly unlikely that the majority of people can even agree on what is broken :)

Brad

I was specifically addressing someone with whom I have had private conversations and for which I have additional context. I am addressing the issue of fear-mongering, which is something he did in another thread and which I called out there as well.

As context, Epik is registrar for sites like Infowars.com. Some people may be led to assume that if you are right about the facts (e.g. Bohemian Grove involves weird rituals to Moloch) that you might also be right about the call to action. Of course someone can be wrong on both about the fact and the call to action.

That said, yes, you can absolutely choose to be indifferent -- you would not be the first or the last. I myself find I spend less and less time watching news about politicians. Why? Because I am increasingly indifferent to them. Some would say that is naive, but I just choose to allocate my time differently.

•••
"Annuit Coeptis - Novus Ordo Seclorum"

"Look Favorably - On Bold New Enterprise"

In other words, Buy Growth Stocks.

One cannot ignore GOD the Obvious.

On The Conspiracy Theory of History :

We cannot simply assume,

That men who have spent their entire lives

Accumulating Wealth and Power,

Will then just refuse to use them.

•••
Mel Gibson

Apocalypto

"No Great Civilisation can be Destroyed from Without

Until It Has Completely and Totally Destroyed Itself

From Within..."

#Cloward-Piven

•••
Domains will find you ...

•••
"Curious to know how many folks on NamePros think they might have some kind of calling and if so how domaining fits into that calling, if at all" asks Rob Monster.

Throughout my adult life have devoted a considerable amount of my free time and more than a few personal resources ( AKA money ) on general public education regarding a personal cause
that is " internally driven " for me.

Is that a calling, maybe, possibly, although I word this as a " cause " that have been involved with since the late 1960s'.

Anyhow, when the internet came into prominence, beginning in the 90s', was able to use a few select domains and personally designed websites to expand my voice / reach and provide fact based info and experience based opinions to any interested parties who landed on the sites.

So yes, for a number of years my personal cause and domaining intersected.

So you are going to just leave us hanging like that? Really? :)

Lay it on us -- what's this cause that you have championed for 50 YEARS?

•••
Someone who decided they want to lose x pounds o r inches over the next 3-6 months might decide that certain foods need to be excluded from their diet to achieve that goal. Likewise, if accumulating domains in any extension is not congruent with one's goals or purpose in life, perhaps time and financial resources spent in the pursuit of acquiring domains should be redirected elsewhere.

•••
another way view calling, when in for long-haul determined sell life-changing money even then that’s when; the real-journey begins.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
So, briefly if you can:

1. What is the meaning of life? / you create it, ergo you are called

2. Is there a benevolent creator? / yes, like a VitalAmine, B9, good4U

3. Does this creator have an eternal* plan for humanity? / enable U to create above content

•••
You are fishing in interesting ponds.

I am not going to add to your list since I already figured out what was at the end of the deepest rabbit hole, but if you found those you are connecting some dots.

So, briefly if you can:

1. What is the meaning of life?

2. Is there a benevolent creator?

3. Does this creator have an enteral plan for humanity?

Thanks!

1. 2.
When the ... hit the body, your mind reside in the cocoon (energy shell). It's quiet environment. You can talk (You) ... with your or others mind but it doesn't have any *sense* to make any effort in this direction. When you're follower (collective-doer) it's almost impossible to describe anything but silence. As a doer (self-initiated) I can blab/describe the idea of ... :)

3. Bird listening does not need to involve hiking miles :)

Regards

Last edited:
•••
Agreed.

As for "hate", I would submit that a guy like Alex Jones is responsible for people asking questions and seeking answers. I consider him to be a gateway drug. He happens to be a client.

Knowledge -- warts and all -- is a great antidote for ignorance. We can probably agree there.

Alex Jones spreads non-sense conspiracy theories and misinformation.

More about his ridiculous theories -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucel...-top-10-health-claims-and-why-they-are-wrong/

Brad

Last edited:
•••
All that said, my advice is to:

1. Move on from fear, and pursue more productive endeavors.

2. Consider the possibility that life in all its complexity is not the product of random chance.

Good advice, and I will add to it that regardless of what your belief system might be start thinking about how you can do some good for Humanity and the Environment.

IMO

•••
•••
Music brings joy to the world.

I know, it's just that some of the famous people are also active in certain causes that benefits Humanity and the Environment, so that's why I was wondering about AC/DC, but they probably still deserve to get an award for their music.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Please remember to comply with the thread topic "So what's your calling? And what do domain names have to do with it?"

Some comments appear to be drifting a bit off-topic again.

Moving forward, please try to at least associate how the comment has something to do with domain names so that the original topic can remain intact.

Thanks.

My bad! Started with baby Cupid...

•••
Moving forward, please try to at least associate how the comment has something to do with domain names so that the original topic can remain intact.

Thanks.

I always try to register domains that relate to the causes that I am interested in which mostly are about creating awareness as to how we can do some good for Humanity and the Environment.

And so my calling is to make others aware through my domain names, even if they are not fully developed yet, but it might still provoke some positive thoughts in others just by seeing my domains.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
AC : Alternative current
DC : Direct Current
----
Alternative Domaining
Direct Domaining
----
Domaining for the purpose of concept
Domaining for the purpose of reality
----
Working for some one who is interested in playing the Boss
Working for yourself
----

:)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back