IT.COM

discuss So what's your calling? And what do domain names have to do with it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

As you take inventory of your life, are you working towards a particular calling?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, definitely

votes
    37.1%
  • Yes, I think I am!

votes
    10.1%
  • Yes, but if I am honest with myself I need to get more focused on it

votes
    27.0%
  • No, I hung up on that call

votes
    3.4%
  • No, never called

votes
    5.6%
  • Call me maybe?

votes
    4.5%
  • This thread is stupid

votes
    12.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Earlier this month, I gave a TED-style talk at a leadership conference near Philadelphia. The title of my talk was called "Answering the call in a Digital Age". It is a reflection on my own journey from my youth onward. The talk ends with an up to date commentary on life as a tech entrepreneur who has gotten a bit of media attention. The audience for the live talk was predominantly Christian but I think the message has secular relevance:

Long story short, I believe everyone has gifts and talents. At any given time, some people have more financial resources available to them, but everyone has some unique combination of time, talent, treasure and circumstance. Moreover, from time to time, we all have our encounters with providence. Sometimes those are opportunities to move a step closer towards working on the thing that we are uniquely equipped to do.

Curious to know how many folks on NamePros think they might have some kind of calling and if so how domaining fits into that calling, if at all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ironically, "Callings" seem to change over time as the world shifts in different directions, pulling a majority along with it and leaving the rest behind that can't keep up with the pace. Pivoting is soon to follow, leading to a new "Calling" that was inspired by the shift itself and the discoveries made peering through the cracks of the foundations as they slide apart and then back together again, just for a brief second, an epiphany happens. Some realize, embrace, and pursue it and others overlook or discard it.

My own domain industry journey has been a roller coaster ride with many pivots along the way.

Regardless how things turned out, it was the domain journey itself that gave me an adventure of a lifetime.

My current calling has allowed my wife and I to help hundreds of homeless (Many of which are veterans) and economically challenged individuals and their families from areas where housing costs exceed that of minimum wage or average household income find work that provides them with a furnished place to stay, utilities, meals, and a pay check to help them get back on their feet (A life-line/second-chance). 3 to 12 month contracts or longer/permanent in some cases.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

If it wasn't for the domain industry and the assets we developed into non-profit ventures (Funded by our for-profit ventures), we wouldn't have been able to help as many people as we have been, so far. It's definitely something that has developed passion within us to peruse even further. The ability to sleep good at night, knowing you actually helped someone, is priceless, even when there is no monetary gain.

At any rate, we all have different journeys and I'm sure others are doing great things too with what they have leaned in our industry.

Eric Lyon

•••
These discussions are tough because each individual has their own mindset, life experience, and goals. It's natural for some individuals to express their thoughts on philosophical topics. It's also natural for some individuals to call BS. It's all good and all natural. Timing is important.

For the past 30 years, I have achieved success both personally and professionally. I define success as good health, good family, and freedom.

A big contributor to my success is the time I spend each and every day doing one thing. Exercising my brain. Thinking. Planning. I spend hours each day just thinking.

Here's what's funny, I accomplish a lot. More than most. I exude positive energy and it comes from clarity about who I am, where I am headed, and what my strengths are. Knowing my gifts and sharing them with everyone.

When I was inducted in the INC. 500, it was a real accomplishment for me. To be recognized as one of America's 500 fastest growing privately owned companies was an honor for me. I had started my company on a shoestring, and turned it into a national institution. It was a pinnacle for me. But you know what?....It was all the great relationships, all the love I felt for being a kind leader that cared, that made it so special.

Rob is not alone in being a deep thinker. Rob is not alone in his journey for answers.

In my opinion, the answer for each of us, is within each of us. Also, we cannot ignore our human connection. Each and every one of us is connected. When we accept this connection, we have harmony. When we resist this connection, we have conflict.

Lastly, let me say, part of what motivated me is knowing that our time is short. A grain of sand. For a person like me, that loves life, it's sometimes a tough pill to swallow. But, I figure as much as I love this life, I will probably find a way to love my next destination just as much.

Perhaps its my age, but I can take what I need from threads like these and move forward. I make no comment on what anyone else has posted in this thread. I just appreciate the opportunity to share a personal thought with a community that I have come to trust and love.

Last edited:
•••
That's awesome.

As I recall, back in 2017, I recall you had a big setback on the homefront with getting flooded out in Houston. Some of the bloggers covered it, e.g. here.
Oh, yes, that was a devastating experience to lose your house, cars, and all your worldly belongings over night in a natural disaster. The main thing I walked away with from that is the new understanding that material things can be replaced, but life.... can not... Grasping a hold of that thought pattern, helps you get through what has yet to come, faster, assisting in eliminating some of the stresses that are bad for your health and could potentially cloud your judgement, making it even harder to bounce back in your recovery process. You simply have to let go of it all and start over fresh, especially psychologically.

I am going to guess that enduring that time has made your marriage pretty bulletproof. The shared mission that the two of you now will hopefully continue to be providenced. Do you have your .org yet?
Oh, yes..... going through something like that and living in a tiny space full-time (30ft Motorhome, which we are still full-time in), definitely becomes a sink or swim situation. Not everyone, even the best of marriages, can endure such close quarters for a long duration of time. It will either rip you apart or build you up stronger together.

Lucky for us, we both believe in clear and honest communication with one another, which helped get us through some of the hiccups in our testing period (About 2 years now full-time in an RV, as a family).

Now, toss a toddler in the mix (he'll be 4 in Jan.) and you can get a better picture of some of the challenges we face (If you are a parent too) daily in life and work as we juggle all the different things we do.

It must be hard balancing work, family, community and philanthropy. Most of us would easily see the NP side of you. I am guessing you could add some useful insights on the Productivity topic.

Keep up the great work, and thanks for all you do here on NP.
I'll take a look at that thread later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks.

Eric Lyon

•••
This is interesting .. just yesterday I was checking .gives extension to see what is available there, and saw someone dropped domain name lord.gives so I registered it - I think it might be very good name for someone from your audience, or maybe for yourself.

As per "calling", yes, when I was yunger, I had calling as well, which told me I should earn some money. Probably as most people here (I mean: everyone). That is natural, we all need to pay our bills. Domaining fits into it, as it is one of the investments for me.

When we reach some level of money/assets ownership, money are no longer relevant, in a sence that they do not bring better quality of living into our lives. They can actually bring more problems and stress, so exactly the opposite. Most people still think more is better when it comes to money, just because they do not have real experience with money.

Anyway, from this level (when all is provided) one can start thinking about life, search for meaning, etc, spiritual journey. All very interesting. But before that, one needs to take care about financial side of the things, as if human basic needs are not fullfiled, it is pretty difficult to concentrate on higher needs (spiritual, self-realisation, etc).

I know many people around me, my friends, who would summarise all this as following :
"oh, just give us some money, then we do also that self - realisation bit, if we have to"
:)

•••
Thanks @Rob Monster for the great insight shared through your life (experience). Permit me to share some of my own perception. The gospel itself is embedded in a life.

I joined the domain world last year July. What led me to that?

I have passion to help others. Always desiring to see people live better lives (in Jesus Christ). I know my little income per month struggles to cater for my own immediate family talkless of extending hands to outsiders. And each time I see someone in need I find it nearly impossible to go by especially when some come directly and demand.

I did some research and came across domaining, as a disciple; I mustn't do anything without first asking. I prayed and continue studying for over six months (nearly a year). I got some relieve that I could venture into it. I applied for training and paid. I was trained (not satisfactorily though), I know I had to do personal research and learning. During those early days, the passion by :$:xxxxxx name sales made me register some bad names - 8investments.com, nissanempire.com, cryptosforex.com........Though I eventually sold the first two via an inbound.

So, in my own case I wouldn't say I came into domaining to utilize my talent or so (which might be not be a good way of entering domaining) but as time goes on and by providence I begin to discover that there is more to it.

I later discover that to make impact in the domain world I must:
Be Inspirational (which i think I am :-D)
Be Creative
Be Innovative
Be a Researcher
Be Teachable
Be Technical
Not money-driven (rather service driven - quality service brings cash easily)
Have connections (esc with experts).
Be Distinct
And many more......

Coincidentally, I was studying the first book of the scripture recently and I saw the logic behind NAMING. How Adam named all the animals brought to him. When it came to naming the woman he was able to IDENTIFY and DIFFERENTIATE. "There is a spirit in man, the inspiration of the Almighty giveth understanding."

Long story short, I took domaining as a part time and move on till now. I still make research, read and read on Namepros. I trust God to be establish in it (full time possibly) and through me some lives might be transformed. I also trust God to be an accurate NAMER for individuals, businesses like Adam :-D I am putting my time, resources, talent and skills together to achieve THIS.

Let me say here that it is very important for each of us to know his/her calling. I know mine, and I am concious of it. Each time I sleep and wake I have a deep sense of assignment; that I am sent on this planet for a timed space. I must give report. Domaining as a part to play in fulfulling this mission on earth.

Joshua.

•••
Some people might wonder why I give so many likes. It's because I like sharing. :)

I view every comment as a tiny window into a person. I try to open it wider, not close it shut. :)

•••
I live full time in my RV, but I haven't moved around since I had a heart attack and became disabled a few years back. The last time that I took a trip I was pulling my RV with an old 1986 diesel GMC Sierra Truck that I owned at the time and it was a real nice adventure going up and down the hills in Texas. That old faithful truck did its job and never broke down when I was on the road. I still miss that Truck I wish I hadn't sold it to the junk yard.

PS: I had the break system completely redone on the Truck and I also had put new tires on both the RV and the Truck and had all the wheel bearings repacked which saved me a lot of trouble when traveling.

IMO
Sorry to hear about being grounded like that. Even stationary though, it can be 3 to 10 times more cost effective than sticks and bricks. We've found monthly stays as low as $125 and lots under $350 per month all over the u.s.

My wife is new to this and on her 2nd year. She says she never wants another sticks and bricks house again. Which I'm fine with.

My mother moved around a lot when I was a kid and I started hitching solo in my teens. Did the van life, hitching life, tent life, class C life, tractor trailer life, and now the class A life. Wild rides, each time.

More adventures to come in the future.
That is inspiring. :) I had no idea! Thank you for sharing.

I'm an atheist but I have no idea what my "calling" is. I thought I used to know but it seems to be shifting.
since 2005
I thought mine was 15 different things, every time I added a new skill set to my arsenal.

You may already know yours, without knowing you know it yet. It can happen like that.

Combine all the skills you learned over the years and leverage them together once you identify it.

I think you already have most the online related skill sets mastered to bring your own ideas to fruitation once you nail down the next calling.

The biggest mistake I made so far, was thinking I needed to sell a product or service in an already saturated market with more supply than demand, when in reality, at the end of the day, I simply just needed a viable solution that fixes an every day problem.

I think too many people stress on the hard selling aspect of things they think others want, instead of focusing on the solutions people actually need. Big difference between wants and needs. One is an impulse buy and the other is a genuine demand.

In my opinion anyways. Everyone's different.

Eric Lyon

•••
I realised my calling, but why Domains I don’t know.

it’s certainly been a vehicle for learning that’s for sure.

Yes we often have our plans. Man proposes, God disposes. Sometimes you may not have full understanding of what God is doing with your life (Joseph a case study) but He will give you a glipse and say "follow Me." This phrase I do hear often when I am confused. As the day goes by I keep seeing why He allowed me into the domain world. "Nothing happens to a child of God by chance" God definitely knows about it. All things work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

However, what I think @Rob Monster is trying to bring to light is a need to discover your strength and how it could be optimally utilized if it aligns with domaining.

•••
Ironically, "Callings" seem to change over time as the world shifts in different directions, pulling a majority along with it and leaving the rest behind that can't keep up with the pace. Pivoting is soon to follow, leading to a new "Calling" that was inspired by the shift itself and the discoveries made peering through the cracks of the foundations as they slide apart and then back together again, just for a brief second, an epiphany happens. Some realize, embrace, and pursue it and others overlook or discard it.

My own domain industry journey has been a roller coaster ride with many pivots along the way.

Regardless how things turned out, it was the domain journey itself that gave me an adventure of a lifetime.

My current calling has allowed my wife and I to help hundreds of homeless (Many of which are veterans) and economically challenged individuals and their families from areas where housing costs exceed that of minimum wage or average household income find work that provides them with a furnished place to stay, utilities, meals, and a pay check to help them get back on their feet (A life-line/second-chance). 3 to 12 month contracts or longer/permanent in some cases.

If it wasn't for the domain industry and the assets we developed into non-profit ventures (Funded by our for-profit ventures), we wouldn't have been able to help as many people as we have been, so far. It's definitely something that has developed passion within us to peruse even further. The ability to sleep good at night, knowing you actually helped someone, is priceless, even when there is no monetary gain.

At any rate, we all have different journeys and I'm sure others are doing great things too with what they have leaned in our industry.

Eric Lyon

That's awesome.

As I recall, back in 2017, I recall you had a big setback on the homefront with getting flooded out in Houston. Some of the bloggers covered it, e.g. here.

I am going to guess that enduring that time has made your marriage pretty bulletproof. The shared mission that the two of you now will hopefully continue to be providenced. Do you have your .org yet?

It must be hard balancing work, family, community and philanthropy. Most of us would easily see the NP side of you. I am guessing you could add some useful insights on the Productivity topic.

Keep up the great work, and thanks for all you do here on NP.

•••
This is interesting .. just yesterday I was checking .gives extension to see what is available there, and saw someone dropped domain name lord.gives so I registered it - I think it might be very good name for someone from your audience, or maybe for yourself.

As per "calling", yes, when I was yunger, I had calling as well, which told me I should earn some money. Probably as most people here (I mean: everyone). That is natural, we all need to pay our bills. Domaining fits into it, as it is one of the investments for me.

When we reach some level of money/assets ownership, money are no longer relevant, in a sence that they do not bring better quality of living into our lives. They can actually bring more problems and stress, so exactly the opposite. Most people still think more is better when it comes to money, just because they do not have real experience with money.

Anyway, from this level (when all is provided) one can start thinking about life, search for meaning, etc, spiritual journey. All very interesting. But before that, one needs to take care about financial side of the things, as if human basic needs are not fullfiled, it is pretty difficult to concentrate on higher needs (spiritual, self-realisation, etc).

I know many people around me, my friends, who would summarise all this as following :
"oh, just give us some money, then we do also that self - realisation bit, if we have to"

I agree about basic human needs. I believe the "system" is designed to have people spend most of their time either working multiple jobs or being distracted with nonsense, rather than focused on higher order priorities.

I would also agree with you a little wealth goes a long way. The folks who have ridiculous money are not really all that happier in my experience.

And speaking from experience, I would also conclude that "a little fame goes a long way". Obscurity is not much fun but extreme celeb status is probably not much fun either once the paparazzi show up on the regular.

Last edited:
•••
Hey Eric, I live in a RV too and I really like it, think of it as if you are living on the Space Station or inside a Submarine with the difference that whenever you want you can open the door and come out.

Tiny homes (houses) can probably help solve the homelessness problem specially if they are 3d printed at very low cost.

I registered the domain name 3dPrintableHouse.com yesterday (I had 3dPrintableHome.com from before). I believe that Printable Houses are the way of the future. Big homes and mansions have too much of a carbon footprint and contribute to too much waste and pollution. Making houses smaller and more durable so that they can last for several generations is more earth friendly, so in a way you are living in the future :)

IMO
Oh, I completely agree.... We love our RV and the freedoms/possibilities it brings.

As a matter of fact, RVs are 70% of our non-profit initiative geared towards matching rv owners with work camping spots that provide full utility hookups plus pay at resorts, ranches, farms, and more in exchange for work. Whether they got a $250 to $500 Craigslist fixer up travel trailer or a million dollar deisel pusher, they can offset some of life's overhead and put more money back in the bank while having an adventure.

The 30% are the apprinticeships, internships, bed and breakfast, ski resorts, hunting lodges, etc. That provide room, meal, and amenities in exchange for work to help get people off the streets and making money again. A second chance.

In either case 70 or 30, we provide adventure, hope, and solutions for those in need.

I believe more people should embrace tiny living or rv living. As A matter of fact, the rv park industry is booming with more demand than supply. Spots average $400 to $650 per month with water, sewage, cable, wifi, included and elect billed seperately.

Parks are cash cows at 100 to 200+ spots and offset some of the overhead by hiring 1099 work campers to run them.

Water front parks stay rented out most the year and southern state water front parks stay booked year round.

The bubble in this niche isn't even close to popping yet. It's unfortunate we don't have the capital to help more people and build out the next chapter yet. In time though, eventually.

It's nice to see another full timer on namePros. 😎

Eric Lyon

•••
Exactly. I've been telling people this for many years...the enemy is attempting to distract us to death (both physically and spiritually).

The way that I look at this is that there is currently too much pain, suffering, destruction, waste, hate, animosity, delinquency, greed, lust, torture, abuse, addiction, inequality, oppression, suppression, discrimination, and killings going on all over the World, anyone who wants to help free the Humanity from all these is on the side of good and all those who want to keep the status quo and continue to add to all that keeps us in bondage are wrong and should be encouraged and educated to change their ways. Unfortunately the label Enemy is often used by those who want to eliminate anyone who wants to change the status quo.

IMO

•••
Tying saving the world together with domain names, and 'calling':

A favourite marketing consultant wrote "A great name can take you places a good name can’t. A truly great brand name makes room for a new story in people’s hearts and minds and can position a good product beyond it’s utility.

Don’t set out to name a company or a product, set out to name your vision of what you want to see in the world."

Just as an fyi, here in Canada, our Conference Board of Canada is looking at 3D printing viability for building in places like our North.

Btw, NameDeck: I'd like to find out a bit more on what you're up to with construction 3D printing, when it's convenient to you. If you happen to have something like a link to your proving out project.... . I've a pump prototype I came up with a few years ago for handling liquids and semi-solids, that I'm looking to start putting out into the marketplace sometime in the near future. With a couple modifications it should work fine, if not maybe very well, for handling 3D construction printing materials.

Long ramble ahead. Sorry if that bothers anyone:

Yeah the hardest part is dealing with governments and legislation. Like, we build something better than regular housing but because of legislation it cannot be used as actual housing. This may change but it'll take time.

The biggest argument (imo) for tiny sustainable housing is that the less wealthy would be able to afford their own home which beats renting. Real estate has gone up a lot over the last decade. It's insane. Like my own property has gone up close to 40% in a decade (as per valuation for taxes). Wages haven't shown that increase so even for the middle class it's getting harder to find reasonably affordable housing.

On the other hand legislation is a good thing because solar panels have already become somewhat mandatory on new to be built housing and everything is being built 'gas free'. Drilling for gas has actually been causing earthquakes over here and caused a lot of damages to houses in the north because of shifting grounds.

It's something that helps although imo the only thing that will save us all is cutting back on our total footprint, less unsustainable luxury, less space. I'm afraid we will never get there though. The poor cannot afford to do it and the majority of the middle-class and upperclass don't want to risk becoming a social paria for not indulging in the latest fad (clothing, electronic devices, holidays, cars, phones, you name it.). Myself included in certain areas.

Things is, what really bothers me is for a long time (past generations) we could get away with saying, "sorry we just didn't know". But now we do know and we basically just carry on to continue destroying the environment, knowingly. (Myself included). I

I mentioned Tesla earlier, how come (since they thrive on the green sustainable market) they don't just cut the crap and make real affordable cars. In full disclose, in my country we're not that used to take up loans for a car, we usually save up then buy it so a €40K car is out of reach for most. Leasing is gaining traction though. Anyway, Electric SUVs? (sort of). Just... Facepalm. Sure it beats the alternative but it's not like the people who usually drive those need them to drive around the entire family. They could easily produce more small cars causing the same 'damage' to the environment. They could be empowering more people to drive a decent electric car but they choose not to. Enough about that because I'm going off track. I worked with them in the past. Good company, not good enough :).

So @Cal2 to conclude, I may take you up about getting in touch although I have a lot going on these days. It's still a very young and unmature project but if it gains more momentum I might. Better start chasing a good domain and dev a website for it actually :). (Had to work domains in somewhere to honour the topic).

In short, my true calling probably is to find the courage to live a truly sustainable life myself, and encourage and support others who want to do so. That's something I'm praying for.

We have the knowledge, we have the means, all that's left is actually doing it.

•••
Looking at the way people bargain or expect to own domains on name pros for peanuts or less than registration prices, The kind of silly experiments they do wasting peoples time & energy,
Few of my friends who have no idea on domains but are supposed to invest for a small domains based website project have literally stopped lifting my calls doubting i might involve their money in to fakish impossible ROI business calls ...

Easy solution: stop selling to domainers.

•••
I realised my calling, but why Domains I don’t know.

it’s certainly been a vehicle for learning that’s for sure.

•••
Exactly. I've been telling people this for many years...the enemy is attempting to distract us to death (both physically and spiritually).

Once someone is awake to the possibility that they are being played by a system that keeps them like a hamster on a treadmill, it is a transformative moment. It raises questions that deserve answers. The challenge is not to be wrapped up in fear, but to find one's calling and execute it courageously. I had to figure that out, and that process it took years.

Last edited:
•••
Went looking for my calling once, as a young man.

Ended up thousands of kilometers away from home, in a country where language and culture were completely different to what I was accustomed to.

Found myself on the precipice, arguing and shouting at an old Mongolian woman, in a tongue I spoke but which was foreign to her, and her shouting back at me in a tongue native to her and her land. She would not let me pass, this I determined through her gestures and posture. Where I wanted adventure, she wanted to keep holy and sacred from trespassers.

I ended up experiencing the forbidden place, and during the visit I came to understand why it so protected from people, well, like me. Will always and forever be thankful to the old lady, through whom waving of the arms and hand gestures we were able to come to an agreement: Her allowance in return for my appreciation was enough for both of us.

From that trip, I learned my calling was not abroad, rather, it was back at home. My beautiful wife to be, and a future together, perhaps lucky enough to duplicate ourselves, but in smaller versions.

Kids. Parents. Grandparents. As once we were, again we become. The cycle of life. My calling has been nothing special, it has been getting the truth. A truthgetter, of sorts. There is a proverb, Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. Sometimes your calling is staring at you right in the face, and you just have to embrace it.

How does this tie into domaining? Well, the truth of the matter is, I am about what fits. Get the name that works best for you, not what works best for the numbers. If you think numbers don't lie, think again. When it comes to domaining, numbers are representative of the herd, not the person who stands out and above.

•••
I woke up in Seattle this morning with this verse in mind from Matthew 10:

8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,
10 Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

In particular, I was thinking about this part: freely ye have received, freely give

These are marching orders from the Lord Jesus Christ so let me share something that I think helped a lot. It is the practical application of this verse which one of the Epik staff brought up yesterday in the context of their own recent breakthrough:

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you - Matthew 7:7

A lot of people interpret this to mean some kind of Santa Claus relationship where you pray for a new car and you get a new car, or to pick a lucky number in the lottery. I don't believe it works like that. The gifts of God are not typically in the form of on-demand provisioning as some would teach.

My conclusion is that this gifting has more to do with spiritual attributes.

Looking back, in August 2018, I asked the Lord for 2 things:

1. The capacity to love everyone and judge nobody.

2. A servant's heart, i.e. to not feel put upon when people ask me to do "little things"

While I am a work in progress, I do believe those petitions are in the process of being granted and that it equipped me better to do what I am doing now.

Around the same time, I felt led to begin praying daily/continuously for 3 things: Wisdom, Knowledge and Providence. I believe those 3 petitions have also been granted, through again, I am a work in progress.

Most recently, I felt led to pray for 3 more things: Faith, Courage and Humility. Here again, a work in progress, but I believe these too are manifesting.

So, whatever your calling is, and whatever your spiritual practice is, I suggest give some thought to the character attributes you think you need to develop to fulfill that calling, and expect those of yourself.

Regardless, of your faith (or non-faith), map your purpose and destiny to the character and personality attributes that you think are required to achieve it both personally and professionally.

•••
Yes we often have our plans. Man proposes, God disposes. Sometimes you may not have full understanding of what God is doing with your life (Joseph a case study) but He will give you a glipse and say "follow Me." This phrase I do hear often when I am confused. As the day goes by I keep seeing why He allowed me into the domain world. "Nothing happens to a child of God by chance" God definitely knows about it. All things work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

However, what I think @Rob Monster is trying to bring to light is a need to discover your strength and how it could be optimally utilized if it aligns with domaining.

Josh - Right on there. Yes, that was the general thinking, i.e. to self-assess one's strengths and gifts but to then reconcile that with why someone is involved in domaining as a hobby or primary income. Many of us know that when you are good at domaining it gives you a lot of freedom since you can do it anywhere.

•••

Eric Lyon

Spot on Eric..

I don’t think I’ve been happier than when I’ve been helping people. Just doing what I could, nothing grand.

I particularly like your reference to ‘peering through the crack of the foundations’, very apt. Reminds me of my own experience that often refer to as ‘getting a glimpse behind the veil’.

I could do with rediscovering my strength.

Thanks to everyone for sharing in this thread.

•••
I believe the "system" is designed to have people spend most of their time either working multiple jobs or being distracted with nonsense, rather than focused on higher order priorities.

•••
This thread speaks to the picture I have as my avatar. It’s from a pic I took of a sign that once hung in a liquor store a friend of mine owned. “What will you do with your life?” He posted it with the hope it might get some of his customers thinking about the kinds of things some of you are relating in this thread. I use it as my avatar with the same intention - in hopes of engaging/confronting others on the forum with this most important question. For some domaining genuinely serves and aligns with their calling, for some it may be a way station on their journey toward a truer purpose, and for others it may be a detour or something they are pursuing for the wrong reasons. The avatar pays homage to my good friend and now you know the story behind it in case you have ever wondered.

Last edited:
•••
Oftentimes domain portfolios center around one's particular hobbies, interests, profession, etc. Despite the significant costs businesses regularly incur to operate, market, administrate their businesses, domain names are still largely underappreciated by end users for branding a product, service, or enterprise. Can domain owners take one domain in a niche they are passionate about and turn it into a business? Yes, but one needs to realize that the skillsets needed to be a successful entrepreneur are different than those to acquire and administer a passive domain portfolio.

•••
who you gonna call?

callmobile.com

my calling is calling out :poop: when I see it

no matter the status, position, popularity, etc.

sometimes folks do or say things that fly over the heads of others
either they see and be silent or they don't see and be silent

but I see and can read between the lines, of lines.
you can't just tell me something and i say "oh tay" just because "you" said it.

it's got to make sense and if it doesn't and I find it questionable, then i'll raise the question.

somebody's got to shine the light on the :poop: before others step in it ,and I ain't scared to do it.

what about you?

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back