NameSilo

discuss So what's your calling? And what do domain names have to do with it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

As you take inventory of your life, are you working towards a particular calling?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, definitely

votes
    37.1%
  • Yes, I think I am!

votes
    10.1%
  • Yes, but if I am honest with myself I need to get more focused on it

votes
    27.0%
  • No, I hung up on that call

votes
    3.4%
  • No, never called

votes
    5.6%
  • Call me maybe?

votes
    4.5%
  • This thread is stupid

votes
    12.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Earlier this month, I gave a TED-style talk at a leadership conference near Philadelphia. The title of my talk was called "Answering the call in a Digital Age". It is a reflection on my own journey from my youth onward. The talk ends with an up to date commentary on life as a tech entrepreneur who has gotten a bit of media attention. The audience for the live talk was predominantly Christian but I think the message has secular relevance:

Long story short, I believe everyone has gifts and talents. At any given time, some people have more financial resources available to them, but everyone has some unique combination of time, talent, treasure and circumstance. Moreover, from time to time, we all have our encounters with providence. Sometimes those are opportunities to move a step closer towards working on the thing that we are uniquely equipped to do.

Curious to know how many folks on NamePros think they might have some kind of calling and if so how domaining fits into that calling, if at all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
all things equal, no bias, just look at data

This thread spiked my curiosity. Lord wanting somebody to start a registrar, as if registrars and Christian sites didn't exist already. So I tried the term christian news, first 2 pages of Google. Here a registrar, there a registrar, 0 on Epik but:

cbn.com - GoDaddy.com, LLC
christianitytoday.com - GoDaddy.com, LLC
worthynews.com - GoDaddy.com, LLC
newsforchristians.com - GoDaddy.com, LLC
jpost.com - Network Solutions, LLC

The lord has spoken. If you love the lord as he loves you, GoDaddy is home. God is down with GoDaddy. It was there right in front of your eyes all this time:

GoDaddy.

addy means address

GoDaddy is god's address

I'm not sure how it went from the Lord wanting a registrar, then the next sentence talking about some hate site in Gab but we've been over all that already. So that really doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:
•••
It is time for you to go back to your high school statistics textbook and re-learn the part about sampling.

Similarweb reports 534K monthly visits:

https://www.similarweb.com/website/namepros.com

For the sake of discussion, let's say that is 50K unique visitors.

That is a lot of people not walking through life aimlessly.

So, Frank, in all seriousness, since you are presumably now past middle age, what exactly are you doing with your life?

but anyway interesting facts:
similarweb:

5% of namepros traffic comes from seokhazana

seokhazana itself
tries to educate its users to use the .com version of seokhazana only

the DomainKing is trying to educate namepros users
to register .com only

...strange facts about domaining..

upload_2019-11-3_2-39-48.png

upload_2019-11-3_2-40-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-3_2-39-55.png
    upload_2019-11-3_2-39-55.png
    664.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
This thread spiked my curiosity. Lord wanting somebody to start a registrar, as if registrars and Christian sites didn't exist already. So I tried the term christian news, first 2 pages of Google. Here a registrar, there a registrar, 0 on Epik but:

The lord has spoken. If you love the lord as he loves you, GoDaddy is home. God is down with GoDaddy. It was there right in front of your eyes all this time:

GoDaddy.

addy means address

GoDaddy is god's address

I'm not sure how it went from the Lord wanting a registrar, then the next sentence talking about some hate site in Gab but we've been over all that already. So that really doesn't make any sense to me.

makes sens in 4 likes
..when I saw it..

didn't add another like nor dislike

its selfpromotion

lonely selfpromotion

as mentioned
I can't see any trace of an audience in that video

but this times
at least no
holocaust denial video next to Robs video

Last edited:
•••

GoDaddy.

addy means address

GoDaddy is god's address

Lol. Illuminati confirmed. Using ur namesake;

GoDaddy“ will soon turn to GoDaddy.

“rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic...

Last edited:
•••

GoDaddy.

addy means address

GoDaddy is god's address

There are plenty of Christian sites that come to Epik. That is actually not our focus, though 86% of all .BIBLE domains are at Epik. I am actually just as interested in seeing all Holy Writ published, along with grimoires, occult, Masonic history, Pagan rites, Satanic observances, etc. It is all fair game. Do you know why? Because evil and good both exist and the knowledge of both is a path to truth.

The real concern is not about the present state, but more likely the future state. What happens when certain content becomes unpopular, e.g. a site that exposes evil that others want hidden, or sites that ask hard questions that deserve answers? In case you missed it, censorship is actually increasing quite dramatically. And if anyone does not realize that, they are not paying attention.

I submit to you that one of the main reasons we have not seen more takedowns of sites in 2019 is because Epik exists as a reasonable arbiter of acceptable use. Epik acquired BitMitigate as a proven and viable CloudFlare alternative, and there also we reserve the right to provide or deny service, as was tested earlier this year where we opted to not route 8Chan when they showed up.

In the meantime, in anticipation of this ongoing drive towards biased censorship, Epik has put significant apparatus in place to empower digital sovereignty. I would challenge you to find another company that has assembled all of these capabilities under one roof:

- Registry / Pseudo-registry
- Registrar
- High availability host and decentralized data centers (sibyl.li)
- IPv4 and IPv6 issuer as RIPE member
- Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) and Autonomous System (ASN) operator
- Content Delivery Network (BitMitigate)
- Denial of Service Mitigation (BitMitigate)
- VPN provider (Anonymize.com)

We also host a suite of applications that are capable of rapid scale-up if called upon, e.g. Armored.net for cloud-based file storage or US.TV for video hosting alternative to YouTube. Our upcoming Toki project is also a very interesting step in the direction of empowering massive decentralization.

Keep in mind that much of this capability was assembled just in 2019, with very little in the way of outside capital and zero institutional capital. Do you think that all comes together by accident? Of course not. Do you really think that I am smart to be able to do this myself without a bunch of providence?

Last edited:
•••
In the meantime, in anticipation of this ongoing drive towards biased censorship, Epik has put significant apparatus in place to empower digital sovereignty. I would challenge you to find another company that has assembled all of these capabilities under one roof:

- Registrar

We also host a suite of applications that are capable of rapid scale-up if called upon, e.g. Armored.net for cloud-based file storage or US.TV for video hosting alternative to YouTube. Our upcoming Toki project is also a very interesting step in the direction of empowering massive decentralization.

Keep in mind that much of this capability was assembled just in 2019, with very little in the way of outside capital and zero institutional capital. Do you think that all comes together by accident? Of course not. Do you really think that I am smart to be able to do this myself without a bunch of providence?

looks like another self-promotion to me
but of course
I'm biased

•••
There are plenty of Christian sites that come to Epik. That is actually not our focus, though 86% of all .BIBLE domains are at Epik. I am actually just as interested in seeing all Holy Writ published, along with grimoires, occult, Masonic history, Pagan rites, Satanic observances, etc. It is all fair game. Do you know why? Because evil and good both exist and the knowledge of both is a path to truth.

The real concern is not about the present state, but more likely the future state. What happens when certain content becomes unpopular, e.g. a site that exposes evil that others want hidden, or sites that ask hard questions that deserve answers? In case you missed it, censorship is actually increasing quite dramatically. And if anyone does not realize that, they are not paying attention.

I submit to you that one of the main reasons we have not seen more takedowns of sites in 2019 is because Epik exists as a reasonable arbiter of acceptable use. Epik acquired BitMitigate as a proven and viable CloudFlare alternative, and there also we reserve the right to provide or deny service, as was tested earlier this year where we opted to not route 8Chan when they showed up.

- Registrar

I think you're just doing what Frank touched on, Christian Marketing. It works. I saw at Gab where you threw out a Bible verse, somebody saw it, said, hey, you're Christian just like me, I'll have my names at Epik. You see it working in this thread and the other thread Frank is getting jumped on.

GoDaddy dumped the hate site Gab, you lifted them up. You mentioned Gab after talking about the lord wanting you to start a registrar story. Maybe, you're wanting a real connection, still finding your way, so you're forcing stuff like this. But this Gab stuff just doesn't jive with the religious stuff. It's a hate site.

The other marketing you're doing is this free speech marketing. There is a problem with that tho. GoDaddy dumped Gab, you took them in and tried to use that like you were a free speech warrior. Problem is you dump as well. So it was never real. You enforce your TOS just like other registrars. You just mentioned 8Chan, you're not touching them. There was this other site talked about before, the incel forum. I wasn't sure if you were going to take them in. But I guess you did based on what your former employee said. He was talking about you dumping some site and what he was describing sounded just like that incel site.

GoDaddy dumps, Epik dumps, everybody enforces their TOS from time to time.

------------------
Wanted to add what I was talking about, your former employee:

Slanted said:
"This case involved a website advocating for the rape of women, suggesting that females (by their very nature) want or deserve to be raped or that men should rape them. As I recall, the site was a forum or blog where multiple people were sharing this dangerous, perverse belief."

That is a site he said you dumped. That sounds like that incel forum. It's a site I and others said you shouldn't touch. I pointed out that site had a thread talking about raping underage girls.

I don't think you should have taken on that site in the first place but you dumped them, enforced your TOS. That's your decision to make. It seems you have a problem when other companies like GoDaddy do that.

Last edited:
•••
looks like another self-promotion to me
but of course
I'm biased
I think you're just doing what Frank touched on, Christian Marketing. It works. I saw at Gab where you threw out a Bible verse, somebody saw it, said, hey, you're Christian just like me, I'll have my names at Epik. You see it working in this thread and the other thread Frank is getting jumped on.

GoDaddy dumped the hate site Gab, you lifted them up. You mentioned Gab after talking about the lord wanting you to start a registrar story. Maybe, you're wanting a real connection, still finding your way, so you're forcing stuff like this. But this Gab stuff just doesn't jive with the religious stuff.

The other marketing you're doing is this free speech marketing. There is a problem with that tho. GoDaddy dumped Gab, you took them in and tried to use that like you were a free speech warrior. Problem is you dump as well. So it was never real. You enforce your TOS just like other registrars. You just mentioned 8Chan, you're not touching them. There was this other site talked about before, the incel forum. I wasn't sure if you were going to take them in. But I guess you did based on what your former employee said. He was talking about you dumping some site and what he was describing sounded just like that incel site.

Isnt Godaddy same company to initially support SOPA/PIPPA?

Why should anyone care what they think on any issue, much less, divisive...?

I’d never hold Godaddy; any ethical standard... Good luck to the new CEO

Last edited:
•••

GoDaddy dumped the hate site Gab, you lifted them up. You mentioned Gab after talking about the lord wanting you to start a registrar story. Maybe, you're wanting a real connection, still finding your way, so you're forcing stuff like this. But this Gab stuff just doesn't jive with the religious stuff. It's a hate site.

------------------
Wanted to add what I was talking about, your former employee:

Slanted said:
"This case involved a website advocating for the rape of women, suggesting that females (by their very nature) want or deserve to be raped or that men should rape them. As I recall, the site was a forum or blog where multiple people were sharing this dangerous, perverse belief."

That is a site he said you dumped. That sounds like that incel forum. It's a site I and others said you shouldn't touch. I pointed out that site had a thread talking about raping underage girls.

I think my positions are consistent:

https://epik.com/blog/why-epik-welcomed-gab-com.html
https://epik.com/blog/epik-draws-line-on-acceptable-use.html

You can go down this rabbit hole all day long if you like but the short story is that there actually is something that can be called hate speech. It is speech from hateful people.

You can see the exact time-frame when I changed my position on free speech:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/wh...and-rob-monster.1128748/page-102#post-7382998

I concluded that there is a line for acceptable use, and that line for me is governed by the intent, or heart, of the site operator. If that person projects indiscriminate hate, I see no reason to enable them.

Yes, some free speech hardliners do feel betrayed by that position, to which I say, oh well.

•••
Yes, some free speech hardliners do feel betrayed by that position, to which I say, oh well.

Because it was a marketing angle. And they have a point. You can see the first time you started tweeting about free speech was when all this Gab stuff started going down. This was right after Digital Town, right? Again, you're not any different from other registrars if you enforce your TOS as you see fit. And when you enforce it, others can say the same things you were saying about GoDaddy. The only reason I'm bringing this up because you continue to try to market yourself as such:

"In case you missed it, censorship is actually increasing quite dramatically. And if anyone does not realize that, they are not paying attention."

So when you do it, it's ok? When other companies do it, you have a problem with it? This is something each company decides for themselves.

I concluded that there is a line for acceptable use, and that line for me is governed by the intent, or heart, of the site operator. If that person projects indiscriminate hate, I see no reason to enable them.

Guess what, I fully support you being able to do that. I also fully support other companies doing it as well. You should as well.

Last edited:
•••
Because it was a marketing angle. And they have a point. You can see the first time you started tweeting about free speech was when all this Gab stuff started going down. This was right after Digital Town, right? Again, you're not any different from other registrars if you enforce your TOS as you see fit. And when you enforce it, others can say the same things you were saying about GoDaddy. The only reason I'm bringing this up because you continue to try to market yourself as such:

"In case you missed it, censorship is actually increasing quite dramatically. And if anyone does not realize that, they are not paying attention."

So when you do it, it's ok? When other companies do it, you have a problem with it? This is something each company decides for themselves.

I am comfortable with the decisions I made on who to serve, and who not to serve. The decisions are a required aspect of the job, just as is the job of compliance and UDRP enforcement. It is occasionally thankless, and sometimes it creates a PR mess or results in fomenting determined adversaries. So, yes, @JB Lions, we are nothing special. You can ignore us. <sarc> Nothing will come of it, I am sure. After all, it is all just a silly PR stunt. This too shall pass. </sarc>

Last edited:
•••
makes sens in 4 likes
..when I saw it..

didn't add another like nor dislike

its selfpromotion

lonely selfpromotion

as mentioned
I can't see any trace of an audience in that video

The camera wasn't panning around, so it wouldn't show the audience. A quiet audience. There was some clapping at the end - but that could've been added in after, so no real proof there.

The video shows the Mid Atlantic Reformation Society put the conference on, so I checked their site. Rob's listed there as one of the guest speakers: https://futureofchristendom.org/2019-speakers/

•••
The camera wasn't panning around, so it wouldn't show the audience. A quiet audience. There was some clapping at the end - but that could've been added in after, so no real proof there.

The video shows the Mid Atlantic Reformation Society put the conference on, so I checked their site. Rob's listed there as one of the guest speakers: https://futureofchristendom.org/2019-speakers/

There were ~200 registered delegates in attendance but their videos usually get more views than their live events. Not sure it really matters. If the content is useful to someone, great.

I did also speak on a couple of panels, and I also did mention NamePros specifically in one of those panels. You can catch that here:

You can skip to 28:55

It was a real event though with humans in attendance. Crazy, right?

Last edited:
•••

About the only 'crazy' part was how quiet the audience was. Pretty respectful, I thought.

•••
There were ~200 registered delegates in attendance but their videos usually get more views than their live events. Not sure it really matters. If the content is useful to someone, great.

I did also speak on a couple of panels, and I also did mention NamePros specifically in one of those panels. You can catch that here:

You can skip to 28:55

Do you feel you gave an honest reply? You used the term wrong speak/speech. That sounds better than hate speech. Then went on about being a "sacrificial lamb" from left leaning publications. You say the Huff Post article was a hit piece before, but they quote stuff, link to stuff etc. It's the second result in Google when people type in your name. What part of the article is wrong? I've never seen you take that article apart. You are the main source of the article, the things you've said on the internet. Does any of the responsibility fall on you? It seems you're always blaming the left or somebody else. You served this stuff up to people.

I still don't understand to this day, why you continue to reference all of this stuff. Why not simply focus on the product? Faith-based marketing usually is selling faith based items/something else. If your product is good, market that.

Last edited:
•••
Do you feel you gave an honest reply? You used the term wrong speak/speech. That sounds better than hate speech. Then went on about being a "sacrificial lamb" from left leaning publications. You say the Huff Post article was a hit piece before, but they quote stuff, link to stuff etc. It's the second result in Google when people type in your name. What part of the article is wrong? I've never seen you take that article apart. You are the main source of the article, the things you've said on the internet. Does any of the responsibility fall on you? It seems you're always blaming the left or somebody else. You served this stuff up to people.
I still don't understand to this day, why you continue to reference all of this stuff. Why not simply focus on the product? Faith-based marketing usually is selling faith based items/something else. If your product is good, market that.

Actually, I am quite content to just focus on running a business. I don't go looking for these opportunities. I have not talked to the media in more than 6 months now. I rarely engage on Gab.

As for HuffPo, ICYMI, at least 7 of my 8 comments were removed there. It is impossible to comment there now. That article would have had thousands of comments on it.

There were comments like this one:

upload_2019-11-2_21-42-19.png

Notice zero replies? Mine was removed there. People that know me and could attest to my true nature were not able to participate. That is what is known as "Manufactured consensus".

The Dissenter plugin had hundreds of comments on it, but HuffPo changed the URL so you can't see those now either.

Do you possibly see an issue with their choice of headline picture? Do you think they might have been engaging in a tiny bit of character assassination?

upload_2019-11-2_21-39-13.png

In the meantime, I do have the unfinished business of dealing with a false characterization on Wikipedia, comprised of narratives concocted by left-leaning media:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Monster

In case you are wondering, I am actually unable to edit the article, and anyone who edits the articles in a way that does not fit the prescribed narrative sees their edits removed.

I am evaluating my options there. For now, I have simply put Wikipedia on notice:

https://twitter.com/robmonster/status/1160620833020293120

Last edited:
•••
"why not just stick to business"

JB this is more than just business, for some it's a matter of values and principals that they hold dear and want to stand by.

Aren't you bothered when people get censored on the basis of the political or religious interests and agendas of others. We all agree that there might be cause for censorship in some cases for legal or moral reasons, but when people are not doing anything illegal or immoral and yet they get censored because someone higher up doesn't like them or doesn't like what they say because it's against their interest or agendas then that should raise the alarm for all of us.

So basically sometimes the person who has been censored is in the wrong and sometimes the person who is doing the censoring is in the wrong and in a civil and free society we have to assess and evaluate each case to see who is in the wrong before passing any judgement either way.

IMO

•••
JB this is more than just business, for some it's a matter of values and principals that they hold dear and want to stand by.

Aren't you bothered when people get censored on the basis of the political or religious interests and agendas of others. We all agree that there might be cause for censorship in some cases for legal or moral reasons, but when people are not doing anything illegal or immoral and yet they get censored because someone higher up doesn't like them or doesn't like what they say because it's against their interest or agendas then that should raise the alarm for all of us.

So basically sometimes the person who has been censored is in the wrong and sometimes the person who is doing the censoring is in the wrong and in a civil and free society we have to assess and evaluate each case to see who is in the wrong before passing any judgement either way.

IMO

What are you even talking about? GoDaddy didn't drop Gab because of political/religious interests. I just pointed out to you, GoDaddy is the home of some of the biggest Christian sites.

-------------
Actually, I am quite content to just focus on running a business. I don't go looking for these opportunities. I have not talked to the media in more than 6 months now. I rarely engage on Gab.

As for HuffPo, ICYMI, at least 7 of my 8 comments were removed there. It is impossible to comment there now. That article would have had thousands of comments on it.

There were comments like this one:

Show attachment 133835

Notice zero replies? Mine was removed there. People that know me and could attest to my true nature were not able to participate. That is what is known as "Manufactured consensus".

The Dissenter plugin had hundreds of comments on it, but HuffPo changed the URL so you can't see those now either.

Do you possibly see an issue with their choice of headline picture? Do you think they might have been engaging in a tiny bit of character assassination?

Show attachment 133834

In the meantime, I do have the unfinished business of dealing with a false characterization on Wikipedia, comprised of narratives concocted by left-leaning media:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Monster

In case you are wondering, I am actually unable to edit the article, and anyone who edits the articles in a way that does not fit the prescribed narrative sees their edits removed.

I am evaluating my options there. For now, I have simply put Wikipedia on notice:

https://twitter.com/robmonster/status/1160620833020293120

I had edited out my reply because I know it's pointless, I don't see any pickup, then you responded, so I put it back. I would just be going over the same stuff.

Again, do you get that you give it to them? You.

Did the left leaning media:

Make you share anti-Muslim memes?

Make you get with Gab?

Make you do a podcast with 2 racists, who kept their faces hidden? You even posted this video here.

Make you compliment David Duke of the KKK? Me and David could both like pizza, he coud be a Falcons fan but at the end of the day, it's some KKK racist, why would you compliment him on anything?

Didin't know about this one - "In December 2018, he shared on Gab a video created by Canadian white nationalist Faith Goldy, in which she described migrants as bringing “rape epidemics, sharia law, and the spectacle of terror." Is that true?

etc. There is a lot in that Wikipedia post and Huff article. Again, from what I can see, most of what they have is from you.

Last edited:
•••
What are you even talking about? GoDaddy didn't drop Gab because of political/religious interests. I just pointed out to you, GoDaddy is the home of some of the biggest Christian sites.

-------------

I had edited out my reply because I know it's pointless, I don't see any pickup, then you responded, so I put it back. I would just be going over the same stuff.

Again, do you get that you give it to them? You.

Did the left leaning media:

Make you share anti-Muslim memes?

Make you get with Gab?

Make you do a podcast with 2 racists, who kept their faces hidden? You even posted this video here.

Make you compliment David Duke of the KKK? Me and David could both like pizza, he coud be a Falcons fan but at the end of the day, it's some KKK racist, why would you compliment him on anything?

Didin't know about this one - "In December 2018, he shared on Gab a video created by Canadian white nationalist Faith Goldy, in which she described migrants as bringing “rape epidemics, sharia law, and the spectacle of terror." Is that true?

etc. There is a lot in that Wikipedia post and Huff article. Again, from what I can see, most of what they have is from you.

JB - you fully know that the article is a slanted piece of propagandist garbage. Stop pretending otherwise.

•••
JB - you fully know that the article is a slanted piece of propagandist garbage. Stop pretending otherwise.

You've said that many times, but never address the specifics in those articles. It may be slanted but is the stuff true? Just take the examples I have in my last post, which isn't true? These articles literally quote you on stuff then you say it's not true? That's why I said this stuff is pointless.

Last edited:
•••
You've said that many times, but never address the specifics in those articles. It may be slanted but is the stuff true? Just take the examples I have in my last post, which isn't true?

Stay on topic. You want to go have a poop-fest, do it in the appropriate thread:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/whats-going-on-with-epik-and-rob-monster.1128748

This thread is about calling, JB. Do you have a calling besides being an impostor hiding behind an avatar who wastes his intellect by being a provocateur and defender of nonsense?

•••
Stay on topic. You want to go have a poop-fest, do it in the appropriate thread:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/whats-going-on-with-epik-and-rob-monster.1128748

This thread is about calling, JB. Do you have a calling besides being an impostor hiding behind an avatar who wastes his intellect by being a provocateur and defender of nonsense?

Yes, but biggie already used my answer. So people quoting you = nonsense. Got it. And my posts are on topic, since I'm literally quoting you and responding. Like I said, I had edited it out because it's pointless, you decided to post it, then ask me why I respond.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back