Dynadot

discuss So what's your calling? And what do domain names have to do with it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

As you take inventory of your life, are you working towards a particular calling?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, definitely

votes
    37.1%
  • Yes, I think I am!

votes
    10.1%
  • Yes, but if I am honest with myself I need to get more focused on it

votes
    27.0%
  • No, I hung up on that call

votes
    3.4%
  • No, never called

votes
    5.6%
  • Call me maybe?

votes
    4.5%
  • This thread is stupid

votes
    12.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Earlier this month, I gave a TED-style talk at a leadership conference near Philadelphia. The title of my talk was called "Answering the call in a Digital Age". It is a reflection on my own journey from my youth onward. The talk ends with an up to date commentary on life as a tech entrepreneur who has gotten a bit of media attention. The audience for the live talk was predominantly Christian but I think the message has secular relevance:

Long story short, I believe everyone has gifts and talents. At any given time, some people have more financial resources available to them, but everyone has some unique combination of time, talent, treasure and circumstance. Moreover, from time to time, we all have our encounters with providence. Sometimes those are opportunities to move a step closer towards working on the thing that we are uniquely equipped to do.

Curious to know how many folks on NamePros think they might have some kind of calling and if so how domaining fits into that calling, if at all.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Fortunately it's too pleasant of a Sunday to want to get entangled in a philosophical forum back and forth. :) Wishing everyone here will take some time to get out in the beauty of nature or the enjoy the company of loved ones and have a blessed day.

Good thought. Adding to it, something to maybe think about, to help wind things back/wind things down a bit, so the Sunday can go better: https://seths.blog/2019/11/annoyed/

•••
One other thing, being in the domain industry we are obviously all invested in and profit by technology, to varying degrees, so in regards to what I said about bias and self-deception, if you ever wish to examine the impacts of modern technology from a more critical lens, there's a book I cannot recommend highly enough titled, In The Absence Of The Sacred, by Jerry Mander.

•••
Earlier this month, I gave a TED-style talk at a leadership conference near Philadelphia. The title of my talk was called "Answering the call in a Digital Age". It is a reflection on my own journey from my youth onward. The talk ends with an up to date commentary on life as a tech entrepreneur who has gotten a bit of media attention. The audience for the live talk was predominantly Christian but I think the message has secular relevance:

Long story short, I believe everyone has gifts and talents. At any given time, some people have more financial resources available to them, but everyone has some unique combination of time, talent, treasure and circumstance. Moreover, from time to time, we all have our encounters with providence. Sometimes those are opportunities to move a step closer towards working on the thing that we are uniquely equipped to do.

Curious to know how many folks on NamePros think they might have some kind of calling and if so how domaining fits into that calling, if at all.

Looking at the way people bargain or expect to own domains on name pros for peanuts or less than registration prices, The kind of silly experiments they do wasting peoples time & energy,
Few of my friends who have no idea on domains but are supposed to invest for a small domains based website project have literally stopped lifting my calls doubting i might involve their money in to fakish impossible ROI business calls ...
Hence i am totally lost my mind to accept that calls don't work unless a proper Investor too takes the same calling.

Last edited:
•••
Looking at the way people bargain or expect to own domains on name pros for peanuts or less than registration prices, The kind of silly experiments they do wasting peoples time & energy,
Few of my friends who have no idea on domains but are supposed to invest for a small domains based website project have literally stopped lifting my calls doubting i might involve their money in to fakish impossible ROI business calls ...

Easy solution: stop selling to domainers.

•••
The words of wisdom here. Why so many domainers are primarily selling to other domainers is beyond my comprehension.

•••
My current calling has allowed my wife and I to help hundreds of homeless (Many of which are veterans) and economically challenged individuals and their families from areas where housing costs exceed that of minimum wage or average household income find work that provides them with a furnished place to stay, utilities, meals, and a pay check to help them get back on their feet (A life-line/second-chance). 3 to 12 month contracts or longer/permanent in some cases.

That is inspiring. :) I had no idea! Thank you for sharing.

I'm an atheist but I have no idea what my "calling" is. I thought I used to know but it seems to be shifting.

•••
I live full time in my RV, but I haven't moved around since I had a heart attack and became disabled a few years back. The last time that I took a trip I was pulling my RV with an old 1986 diesel GMC Sierra Truck that I owned at the time and it was a real nice adventure going up and down the hills in Texas. That old faithful truck did its job and never broke down when I was on the road. I still miss that Truck I wish I hadn't sold it to the junk yard.

PS: I had the break system completely redone on the Truck and I also had put new tires on both the RV and the Truck and had all the wheel bearings repacked which saved me a lot of trouble when traveling.

IMO
Sorry to hear about being grounded like that. Even stationary though, it can be 3 to 10 times more cost effective than sticks and bricks. We've found monthly stays as low as $125 and lots under $350 per month all over the u.s.

My wife is new to this and on her 2nd year. She says she never wants another sticks and bricks house again. Which I'm fine with.

My mother moved around a lot when I was a kid and I started hitching solo in my teens. Did the van life, hitching life, tent life, class C life, tractor trailer life, and now the class A life. Wild rides, each time.

More adventures to come in the future.
That is inspiring. :) I had no idea! Thank you for sharing.

I'm an atheist but I have no idea what my "calling" is. I thought I used to know but it seems to be shifting.
since 2005
I thought mine was 15 different things, every time I added a new skill set to my arsenal.

You may already know yours, without knowing you know it yet. It can happen like that.

Combine all the skills you learned over the years and leverage them together once you identify it.

I think you already have most the online related skill sets mastered to bring your own ideas to fruitation once you nail down the next calling.

The biggest mistake I made so far, was thinking I needed to sell a product or service in an already saturated market with more supply than demand, when in reality, at the end of the day, I simply just needed a viable solution that fixes an every day problem.

I think too many people stress on the hard selling aspect of things they think others want, instead of focusing on the solutions people actually need. Big difference between wants and needs. One is an impulse buy and the other is a genuine demand.

In my opinion anyways. Everyone's different.

Eric Lyon

•••
The words of wisdom here. Why so many domainers are primarily selling to other domainers is beyond my comprehension.
WWF/MMF/BOXING/SUMO/KUNGFU between Life Support Vs Business Enthusiasm Vs Self Respect Vs Grace & Dignity might be on kind of General phenomenon out of countless possibilities :)

Last edited:
•••
My wife is new to this and on her 2nd year. She says she never wants another sticks and bricks house again. Which I'm fine with.

"Never" is a long time, and things can change. Just in case she ever changes her mind and would like a break at times from being totally nomad: Maybe something like a couple or more $10-$20,000 'habitats', strategically located? Maybe shared among a group? An idea I floated by a friend a bit ago, when we were discussing 3D printed habitats. Just a thought.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=3h...hUKEwji8IuLv9DlAhUSIKwKHWxbBpIQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

Maybe one place, in Nevada, that would welcome such things? https://www.google.com/search?ei=AR...&ved=0ahUKEwjmopSQwdDlAhVLJKwKHSU3ATkQ4dUDCAo

I thought mine was 15 different things, every time I added a new skill set to my arsenal.

You may already know yours, without knowing you know it yet. It can happen like that.

Combine all the skills you learned over the years and leverage them together once you identify it.

In case you or Tia haven't come across it, there's a term called 'portfolio career': https://www.google.com/search?sourc...hUKEwjl892lu9DlAhUBC6wKHWSqAYkQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

The biggest mistake I made so far, was thinking I needed to sell a product or service in an already saturated market with more supply than demand, when in reality, at the end of the day, I simply just needed a viable solution that fixes an every day problem.

I think too many people stress on the hard selling aspect of things they think others want, instead of focusing on the solutions people actually need. Big difference between wants and needs. One is an impulse buy and the other is a genuine demand.

Any need for asphalt repairs at some of the places you go? I've an infrared asphalt reheating system prototype I built a few years ago. Its purpose was to design around some of the issues of other infrared systems. The initial test results were positive, and I'm thinking to resurrect the project in the future - quite possibly next year, depending on what speed some other things move along. The units should be cheap to build, easy to move around, easy to maintain.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=8Q...hUKEwidyYqsu9DlAhVBQKwKHe3cAm8Q4dUDCAo&uact=5

An alternative to asphalt, that could also be of possible use in some situations. I was thinking of it as one possible use for a low cost, low maintenance pump system I'm working on: http://www.polypavement.com/

•••

Since Domaining is not really working for me right now as per my situational needs, And so I don't know if it is my calling or not until a good sale happens But since i think i know about this subject a little bit to the extent to what i know .. AND,
With due respects not to Demean any kind of Genuine " Good word teachings" of any kind - to be practiced in social life so as to not to create social conflict between Individuals for living with human dignity ...
Being this generation student who is genuinely confused between scientific truths and religious stories ( written in Religious books for those people of few hundreds of years ago when no one knows the truth of the universe and human existence and every on have their own versions to defend and confusing every one about what really one of the Amazing /Spiritual and Saintliest human beings like Jesus had really preached),
Also accepting the truth that bits and pieces of charles darwin's theory of evolution that matches what our ancient philosophies used to say about the reality of human existence " is an evolution from Animals, still evolving and advanced ( Which were told way few thousands of years ago when money, Ridiculous TRP business money based mostly nonsense Media stories existed Or during the times when they realized and thus considered Materialistic security is just one part of it But not the whole of it ),
Knowing the fact through NASA'S confirmation too ( which was also described by our ancient sages way long ago when no telescopes and binoculars existed ) that Earth is just a tiny spec when compared to sun and hence the size of it in the Galaxy to Universe, And on this Gigantic planet called earth a Human is a big man with body made up of 5 basic elements ...
Or in the E =Mc square kind scientific format to decode the Universe with formulas, some times right and some times messed up.
One thing i sure............
" Pursit of Happiness " Must not be forgotten , is what i think is also part of this Universe.

- Prior sorry if this article hurts any hyper confirmative belief systems like i expect some price for a domain and some one offers me not even close to it :)

Last edited:
•••
I prefer to fight nonsense
on topics
where I have some experience

and can taste the
misleading content

I saw a post by Rob and knew I'd see you here :ROFL:. Just like Newton's third law, For each post by Rob there is an equal and opposite reaction .. by Frank haha

Newton's third law - "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction"

Last edited:
•••

Hi

I sell to whoever meets my asking price or comes close enough to where I feel comfortable releasing it from the list.
and don't care if it's a domainer or end-user, an illegal alien, a republican or a democrat.
I don't discriminate against the person.....only against the offer or amount they are willing to pay.

I think those who may.dismiss domainers as prospective/potential buyers, do so because they are assuming that their budgets aren't any higher, than their own budgets,

or in other words, assuming that domainers can't afford to pay what they think an end-user will pay, for the same domain.

perhaps that perception is conceived from the consistent lowball offers one gets on NP, but I and others I know, have sold domains to other domainers, in 5 figure ranges.

domainers as a group of buyers, may be more discerning than end-users, but their buying power is what keeps domain sales active.

perhaps instead of checking how many names sold, see how many of those sold names now have websites or are parked, waiting to be resold.

imo...

•••
Hi

I sell to whoever meets my asking price or comes close enough to where I feel comfortable releasing it from the list.
and don't care if it's a domainer or end-user, an illegal alien, a republican or a democrat.
I don't discriminate against the person.....only against the offer or amount they are willing to pay.

I think those who may.dismiss domainers as prospective/potential buyers, do so because they are assuming that their budgets aren't any higher, than their own budgets,

or in other words, assuming that domainers can't afford to pay what they think an end-user will pay, for the same domain.

perhaps that perception is conceived from the consistent lowball offers one gets on NP, but I and others I know, have sold domains to other domainers, in 5 figure ranges.

domainers as a group of buyers, may be more discerning than end-users, but their buying power is what keeps domain sales active.

perhaps instead of checking how many names sold, see how many of those sold names now have websites or are parked, waiting to be resold.

imo...

I guess , What rob Said is .." If you think you have a domain name that deserves a higher price" where entrepreneurs need them for projects instead of Domainers where it is a different case. Say if i have " Entrepreneur.com " , i should be selling it to who can develop a valuble & useful project on it. I don't think he undermined any domainers.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

imo...
Sure, that can be agreed fully. If the domainer will pay end user price, or at least some fair wholesale price, no one can complain :) What I was referring to is that some people really focus only on fast flip, buying for USD 1, selling for USD 5, something like that .. I think this is not sustainable. But I should have had worded it better.

•••
Time to get pretentious. What I like about domaining is that the misfits are in charge. No offense! It can empower to withstand and endure the wasteful abuse they suffer at the mercy of state, big finance, stupid employers, moral bigots, and plain schmucks. To me it is a fight for freedom. Lol.

•••
"Never" is a long time, and things can change. Just in case she ever changes her mind and would like a break at times from being totally nomad: Maybe something like a couple or more $10-$20,000 'habitats', strategically located? Maybe shared among a group? An idea I floated by a friend a bit ago, when we were discussing 3D printed habitats. Just a thought.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=3h...hUKEwji8IuLv9DlAhUSIKwKHWxbBpIQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

Maybe one place, in Nevada, that would welcome such things? https://www.google.com/search?ei=AR...&ved=0ahUKEwjmopSQwdDlAhVLJKwKHSU3ATkQ4dUDCAo

In case you or Tia haven't come across it, there's a term called 'portfolio career': https://www.google.com/search?sourc...hUKEwjl892lu9DlAhUBC6wKHWSqAYkQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

Any need for asphalt repairs at some of the places you go? I've an infrared asphalt reheating system prototype I built a few years ago. Its purpose was to design around some of the issues of other infrared systems. The initial test results were positive, and I'm thinking to resurrect the project in the future - quite possibly next year, depending on what speed some other things move along. The units should be cheap to build, easy to move around, easy to maintain.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=8Q...hUKEwidyYqsu9DlAhVBQKwKHe3cAm8Q4dUDCAo&uact=5

An alternative to asphalt, that could also be of possible use in some situations. I was thinking of it as one possible use for a low cost, low maintenance pump system I'm working on: http://www.polypavement.com/
There's tons of communes and communities like that already. For us, we looked at land in the north for summer and south for winter in areas acreage can be found for $3k to $7k per 4 acres with recreation and hunting in their zoning. 6 months each out of a year or base stations to stop into from time to time.

Turnkey rv parks are an option as well and we've been finding small 5 to 20 rv spot parks in the $25k to $60k range all over the u.s.. some with another 10 to 20 acres to expand on.

As for K12, our toddler will be using that when he turns 5 so he can have a remote one on one teacher in video chat each day instead of a public school classroom with 50 kids competing for the teachers attention. It's bad enough schools these days need metal detectors and rampant with drugs and violence.

Asphalt is not used much, if any at rv parks because it's too soft and these rigs get pretty heavy, causing divits and sink spots that end up being more of a hassle to keep filling and fixing than just laying gravel/rock or concrete.

Lots of options and directions for us to go at the moment. Still in deep research mode on a lot of it, re-weighing options to ensure the best puzzle piece fits. 😁

Last edited:
•••
Thank you @robmonster ,,, enjoyed the video and I want to let everyone know you are the real deal. You have offered me care, concern, and brotherhood I dont even receive in my real life relationships. Thank you!

•••
The digital nomad living @Eric Lyon is inspiring, so also, lots of valuable insights @Rob Monster and others. Interesting thread 'The Call in the Digital Age' , maybe a nice book title for someone to pen.

•••
The digital nomad living @Eric Lyon is inspiring, so also, lots of valuable insights @Rob Monster and others. Interesting thread 'The Call in the Digital Age' , maybe a nice book title for someone to pen.

Thanks @handpicked.

That would be an easy book to write, but I think video is actually a better format for that message anyway, so feel free to spread it for free to anyone who it might help.

I am inspired by people's stories. I have heard stories about some of the most messed up lives being radically transformed into one of positive impact.

What you do often find is that the people who do transform dramatically will make reference to some kind of spiritual practice, or higher power. I say choose your higher power wisely. It makes a difference in the end.

•••
Edited for the most part ---

Evil people deserve all they get. I believe in karma for sure. We all check in with a balance book that has to tally up when we check out. That is the only rule. I don't know how many idiots I have seen crying "God why me" when the books need to be audited. Ex. They are violent criminals and then their kids get cancer.

There are no good values being taught anymore.

Last edited:
•••
Edited for the most part ---

Evil people deserve all they get. I believe in karma for sure. We all check in with a balance book that has to tally up when we check out. That is the only rule. I don't know how many idiots I have seen crying "God why me" when the books need to be audited. Ex. They are violent criminals and then their kids get cancer.

There are no good values being taught anymore.

You sent me the "long play" version of this note privately. I do like that version better. I particularly appreciate the authenticity.

I also agree that "Karma" is real. We might differ on the mechanics of why "what goes around, comes around", but the end result is the same, and that is we do reap what we sow.

As for teaching values, we can lead by example and teach our own kids. Beyond that, you see who shows up at your doorstep, so to speak. Personally, I try hard not to give up on anyone.

•••
I think this interview fits nice to this topic:

George Harrison - On Fame, Bliss and Consciousness

•••
I think this interview fits nice to this topic:

George Harrison - On Fame, Bliss and Consciousness

George Harrison has seen much.

In this interview, he weaves together multiple belief systems in his narrative. There is some debate on what he believed on his death bed, but no question that he became highly spiritual.

Fame and fortune are not the answer. Agree there.

Where I depart from George is on the end goal is on what is the bliss or nirvana. However, he was obviously in a position to interact with a lot of ideas and belief systems along the way.

•••
Some people can't afford to be good christians.

•••
Some people can't afford to be good christians.

You are going to have to explain that one Bro. :)

Off to bed here but will pick it in the AM, Lord-willing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back