Dynadot

question So do I violate auctions' rules by selling before 60th day?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

elodo

Established Member
Impact
None of the grown-ups can tell me that :xf.frown:
Everybody just says "Yes you can list it, but if it sells, you'll have to wait before you can transfer the domain and receive your money" -

well, that I understand.

But is it A VIOLATION of rules to do it? Do the auctions prohibit it? Do they punish for that ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Strictly speaking, the ToS of Afternic, for example, states that you must be able to deliver the domain immediately, preferably with an AUTH code for the domain.

In practice, there are also other options, such as delivery via an account 'push'. The domain will then remain with the same registrar, but will be placed in the buyer's account or temporarily in the marketplace's holding account. Dan.com frequently uses this method.

Some buyers only settle for an AUTH code and not an account push.

The buyer may be asked to wait until the 60 days have passed. Many buyers will agree with this, some will not.

It is up to the buyer to agree to alternative delivery or additional waiting times. The buyer can point to the ToS of the marketplace and have the purchase reversed.

But usually all parties will ensure that an amicable solution is found for all.

Last edited:
•••
Strictly speaking, the ToS of Afternic, for example, states that you must be able to deliver the domain immediately, preferably with an AUTH code for the domain.

In practice, there are also other options, such as delivery via an account 'push'. The domain will then remain with the same registrar, but will be placed in the buyer's account or temporarily in the marketplace's holding account. Dan.com frequently uses this method.

Some buyers only settle for an AUTH code and not an account push.

The buyer may be asked to wait until the 60 days have passed. Many buyers will agree with this, some will not.

It is up to the buyer to agree to alternative delivery or additional waiting times. The buyer can point to the ToS of the marketplace and have the purchase reversed.

But usually all parties will ensure that an amicable solution is found for all.

Future Sensors, thank you for such detailed, and well-written answer. I really appreciate how you approach it.
I'm sure it is a really useful read not for me only, but for most of new domainers here.

"The buyer can point to the ToS of the marketplace and have the purchase reversed." -
Hm-hm. This doesn't sound very good to me actually...

•••
It is actually reasonable that the registrars stick to the 60 days window since it is one of their extant as handed to before being licensed for business.

Some registrars did stick to that as the whole truth while some tended to liberalize a bit.

Goddady for example would insist that you wait for 60 days to effect the transfer, Dynadot would permit you can transfer ownership only within the Dynadot framework.

Hope that helps.

•••
I've had the following happen at various auction places:

Buyer will take the domain through a Push (day of purchase), where the domain stays at the current registrar

Buyer will wait for the 60 days and then get an AUTH Code from you

Or a refund will be issued

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back