IT.COM

Do I need to wait 60 days before re-selling a domain ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi
as title says:
if i purchased a domain from someone , we changed the domain contact details (he transfered it to my account).
GoDaddy to Godaddy.
My question is :
Do i need to wait 60 days before selling it ?
Cheers
Sean

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No
Buyer will need GD account though, so you can push to his account.
You just can't transfer to another registrar for 60 days.

•••
•••
You can sell this domain but it is good to tell buyer about transfer lock before his purchase.

•••
transfer lock would be 60 days since i bought it ?
or since i move it over to another GD account again ?

•••
This is what I read.

WARNING: You initiate a 60-day lock from transferring your domain when you update the Organization field or, if you have not listed an organization, when you update the First name or Last name fields.

So by changing accounts it should initiate the 60 day lock again when you transfer because your switching all the info.

•••

Godaddy will put another 60 day lock on it when the whois is updated. Most other registrars won't do that.

•••
Some of Godaddys behaviour is against the ICANN rules
So sometimes an email will help

•••
it rarely is a deal breaker as long as you use a register people trust. Stay with trusted people and buy a name transfer might (find a buyer) and then you will find out. Never a problem as long as register offers a push, unless buyer wants something that cant be done. If thats the case find a different buyer because you need sane clients.

•••
•••
I also wonder if you mean resell a domain, or sell a recently registered domain. Don't get me wrong there is some gold in them hills and you can make money but most unregged names should remain that way unless for end user. (most have no real value). Also while you can make some money in domains, most don't. I don't mean this across the board but the names of good value mostly have regged for a bit, and are caught on drops via auction (or like).

I strongly perfer pushes anyway, most buyers seem to want it that way, brokers usually want that or will be okay with it. Makes the whole thing so much easier. Wouldnt think it would be a huge deal, again, if you stay with a trusted company that allows pushes.

•••
only godaddy do this locking period thing, or other registrars also lock domains for 60 days, is there any other registrar, those who dont lock for 60 days.

thx

•••
only godaddy do this locking period thing, or other registrars also lock domains for 60 days, is there any other registrar, those who dont lock for 60 days.

thx
It's not up to registrars to lock domains. Transferring from one registrar out to a new one will put a 60 day transfer lock automatically.

But, this doesn't mean you can't still do a free push to new account internally If the registrar offers free push. Most do(godaddy included) to my knowledge.

This is why you see "free push" listed as transfer option in auctions etc. Transfer out option would cause a delay. Much easier to just simply push to new account within the same registrar.

The aforementioned 'lock' doesn't prevent internal transfer between accounts within the current registrar. It only pertains to transferring out to a different registrar.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back