IT.COM

new gtlds Snapnames .Yoga auction a flop!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
SnapNames' Yoga Premium domain name auction will come to an end today, May 4, 2015 at 12:15 pm PT. The auction features 36 .Yoga domain names.

Out of the 36 domain names included in the auction, only eight domain names received bids so far and only three met their reserve prices:

Practice.Yoga Current Bid $600 (Reserve Met)
Try.yoga - Current Bid $325
Core.yoga - Current Bid $500
Guru.yoga - Current Bid $500
School.yoga - Current Bid $500
Blog.yoga - Current Bid $300 (Reserve met)
Live.yoga - Current Bid $300
BritishColumbia.yoga - Current Bid $300 (Reserve Met)

The auction will be over in another 2 hour 30 minutes.
The auction seems to be flopped with the maximum bid of $600.
You may browse the inventory here

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Im pretty sure he is as well. I don't know how he's doing it. Congrats Fancy!

Maybe he sold his soul to the thai-devil :)

•••
Hello,

We should not exaggerate any "success" yet. I have sold a few .COM and two .SE lately, but the latest new gTLD was about a month ago. And 6 out of my 24 ngTLD sales were sales below $100.

Also, I spend A LOT of time listing my domains "everywhere"...

I have only sold my soul to YAK: http://www.thaiworldview.com/wat/jpg/wat046.jpg

•••
Not sure if it was intended for a broad range of uses. For the yoga industry .yoga is perfect IMHO.

You're absolutely right. .YOGA is the perfect extension for the Yoga movement / industry / community.

.COM is (read: has become) the perfect extension for anything (maybe except non-profit organizations), including the yoga community.

•••
First off congrats on your profit as small as it may be it is still a profit for now..

@vivaldi If you are buying .com domains and don't make more then 1k profit from 500 purchases then you are doing something wrong unless you are buying some top tier premiums where you are willing to wait on end user purchases... 1k profit is one small flip in the .com space not 24 sales..

Your results are by the most impressive that I have come across, especially since you have a lot of you better names left. You make more profit than many .com fan boys on here.

•••
First off congrats on your profit as small as it may be it is still a profit for now..

@vivaldi If you are buying .com domains and don't make more then 1k profit from 500 purchases then you are doing something wrong unless you are buying some top tier premiums where you are willing to wait on end user purchases... 1k profit is one small flip in the .com space not 24 sales..

Thanks!

In this equation, we also have to count in:

1. The cost of new gTLDs are generally higher than .COM. I think I've spent about 25 dollars per each in average. We pay about 8.50-10 dollars for a .COM.

2. The new gTLDs brand new and most "common people" are not aware of them yet. .COM is 30 years old, even if it was getting known by "common people" about 20 years ago. My intention and goal is not just quick flips, but rather an investments for the future.

3. I (and other people owning new gTLDs) am / are also sell .COM and here is the profit obviously much higher. At least for now.

Ps. I just sold my 25th new gTLD. Only for $195, but it was bought for $17 so that's ok.

Last edited:
•••
You could say .yoga is looking like a downward facing dog.

Whoever uses that line for their domain blog - I expect credit! ;)

•••

I meant new gTLD's only, not .com's lol :)

•••
I'm not a gTLD believer, and here is why.

The overall success of these names hinges on how search engines decide to handle them. Since when we talk about 'search engines' we are talking about Google, I don't think Google will be giving these domains any advanced categorization any time soon.

Google has their own wheelhouse of extensions they would love to give advanced SERP to.

Any time that Google has a product, and a website uses it, they are given advanced SERP.

A time will come where you will need a .google or .goo to rank on their site; they will explain it as 'ensuring quality results' or 'ensuring trust'. This won't be for at least 5-10 years, as the internet learning curve hasn't caught up enough for the world to be okay with that.

Plus, major companies have invested too much money in .COM for ICANN to just allow it to be replaced; there would be quite the uproar.

It is for these reasons that I say NAY to all gTLDs that aren't exact keyword matches*.

*Exact keyword matches aid in keeping uniformity to anchor tags, which have a large influence on SERP for specific keywords. In addition to current SERP rules where the '.' character is treated similar to a hyphen; as a word separator.

•••
In fairness, .yoga is a horrible extension unless you're in the small niche of yoga. ;)

Also in "fairness," Snapnames has a document history in the domain auction scandal arena, I believe shill-bidding was the issue. Here, read one of many articles about it:

http://techcrunch.com/2009/11/09/snapnames-gets-hit-with-class-action-suit-over-shill-bidding/

With that history, I suspect lots of bidders (including those like me) opted out of any auction in which Snapnames would be involved.

Oh yes, I also agree .YOGA is a horrible extension.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back