Domain Empire

new gtlds Snapnames .Yoga auction a flop!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
SnapNames' Yoga Premium domain name auction will come to an end today, May 4, 2015 at 12:15 pm PT. The auction features 36 .Yoga domain names.

Out of the 36 domain names included in the auction, only eight domain names received bids so far and only three met their reserve prices:

Practice.Yoga Current Bid $600 (Reserve Met)
Try.yoga - Current Bid $325
Core.yoga - Current Bid $500
Guru.yoga - Current Bid $500
School.yoga - Current Bid $500
Blog.yoga - Current Bid $300 (Reserve met)
Live.yoga - Current Bid $300
BritishColumbia.yoga - Current Bid $300 (Reserve Met)

The auction will be over in another 2 hour 30 minutes.
The auction seems to be flopped with the maximum bid of $600.
You may browse the inventory here

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In fairness, .yoga is a horrible extension unless you're in the small niche of yoga. ;)

•••
Hello,

I don't agree that the extension is horrible. Check out this stats (only from the U.S.) and then add a half billion Indians, Europeans, Aussies (other) and Asians:

http://www.statisticbrain.com/yoga-statistics/

Just here on Samui (Thai island) there are about 15 schools, including this: one: http://www.absolutesanctuary.com/ and I think is pretty much the same worldwide.

End-users are not ready for these new domains yet. Most "common people" are not even aware that they exist... Many other new gTLDs had same terrible results in previous similar auctions, including .XYZ, at NamesCon.

•••
In fairness, .yoga is a horrible extension unless you're in the small niche of yoga. ;)

I don't have any .yoga but Yoga isn't a small niche. It's everywhere and I'm pretty sure the extension will be useful to the thousands of yoga businesses all over the world.

•••
Try.Yoga is the only one I like. This is one of those extension that doesn't work well with so many keywords.

•••
Try.Yoga is the only one I like. This is one of those extension that doesn't work well with so many keywords.

Yes, but IF this extension get's accepted among yoga studios and institutes in the future, the number of applicable keywords will increase dramatically. Also geo's (cities, states, provinces, countries and islands) could work fine.

Please note the "IF". Personally I am not that convinced that this will be a future success. Let's wait a few years and see. ;)

Ps. Personally I really would like to own: World.yoga, Bikram.yoga, Hatha.yoga, Pants.yoga, Pro.yoga and Hot.yoga.

Last edited:
•••
It appears that everyone of the newer gtlds is not getting the traction they expected.
The main market, probably 95% or more domainers, have now realised they are generally a waste of .space and that there is little or no secondary market.

Some of them must be really in dire straits already. .yoga offers next to nothing.

•••
I don't have any .yoga but Yoga isn't a small niche. It's everywhere and I'm pretty sure the extension will be useful to the thousands of yoga businesses all over the world.

Though I think the problem is the same as many other ngtlds. Why would a business want to pay $30 / year for their .yoga when they can get a .com for only $9 a year and .com is well known. That's the issue with the pricing of these niche domains. Is they will only get a few early adapters.. and in the end.. the extension may never catch on with the mainstream. That's why .work got it right with pricing their domains at $1.99. Because people WILL register and renew those.. to at least keep the extension viable. .WORK isn't the perfect extension and not everything works with that one.. but at only $1.99 / year forever.. well anyways, that's why there's 23,000 .work registrations even with zero marketing. :P

In the long run, with so many ngtlds, the numbers game is important.. both price and number of registrations to keep things moving.

Last edited:
•••
Max 100 words can make some sense with yoga extension. Almost all of the are at premium price.

•••
The premium pricing is the other thing that will absolutely kill some of these ngtlds.

•••
It appears that everyone of the newer gtlds is not getting the traction they expected.
The main market, probably 95% or more domainers, have now realised they are generally a waste of .space and that there is little or no secondary market.

Some of them must be really in dire straits already. .yoga offers next to nothing.

At least I am kind of happy. I have bought about 500 new gTLDs for about $12500 and I have sold 24 of these for about $13500. Break even after a year.

I have never praised the nGTLDs like a ".COM killer" or anything stupid like that. I don't even think that many of these will do good, but still I am very convinced that there is some money to make from this, IF you're doing it right.

•••
At least I am kind of happy. I have bought about 500 new gTLDs for about $12500 and I have sold 24 of these for about $13500. Break even after a year.

I have never praised the nGTLDs like a ".COM killer" or anything stupid like that. I don't even think that many of these will do good, but still I am very convinced that there is some money to make from this, IF you're doing it right.

The level of the new gTLD debate here on Namepros are mostly the guys who register websites.red and domainnames.money v.s. those who stuffed their portfolios full of 9th tier .com's and still waiting for that day to offload those .net's they spent a lot of money on.

Your results are by the most impressive that I have come across, especially since you have a lot of you better names left. You make more profit than many .com fan boys on here.

Regarding .yoga it's a small one, the good keywords like try aside I think the budget for independent yoga studios are rather limited while the renewal fee for the domainer are pretty hefty so not a great combo. The registry will make the money if this kicks off IMO.

•••
the fact that they even auctioned .yoga domains, shows it was a flop from git-go

as "auctions" per se` are hype events in themselves.

imo...

•••
The reason why a lot of these ngtlds are flopping is because some of these registries set the renewal fees to $30 - $100 / year for non-premium names instead of $9 / year like .coms cost. And they set "premium" domains for even more ridiculous prices like $1,000 - $60,000 a year. Nobody with a brain or any kind of business sense is going to pay that much when they can register a universally known .com domain for $9 or even a unknown but affordable .work for $1.99 or even an upcoming and reasonably priced .club for $12 a year. These were the points I was trying to make earlier. I think these are the lessons I've learned thus far about these ngtlds.

•••
Our industry smacks of desperation !

•••
Hello,

Yoga.academy was apparently sold for $12,500 last year...

http://dnpric.es/?dn=yoga.academy

However, first day in GoDaddy EAP. I am not 100% that this was a good catch :D

•••

24 sales of gtld at $500 + is quite amazing, accounting for a fair proportion of all gtld sold to date.

Despite my reservations I invested in a few and I thought I had a good selection of keyword .gtld but to date zero interest despite marketing,subsequently I am no longer investing in any of them and most will be dropped at renewal unless there is a massive change in sentiment.

•••
•••
but what about next year, when renewals fee's are due on 470 names?

:)

What about if I sell 48 domains instead of 24.

Ps. I am buying about 50% .COM and 50% new gTLDs. I like to mix it up and see which one gonna be the the most successful (from a domain investor's perspective).

•••
AND if I do not sell a single new gTLD the coming 12 months, I will probably drop the 100-200 "worst" ones and then reduce the price on the rest.

If profitable = new investments. If failing = reduce prices and costs. Just like any market / small business.

•••
What about if I sell 48 domains instead of 24.

Ps. I am buying about 50% .COM and 50% new gTLDs. I like to mix it up and see which one gonna be the the most successful (from a domain investor's perspective).

if you got the dough, then spend like there is no tomorrow

Good Luck!

•••
if you got the dough, then spend like there is no tomorrow

Good Luck!

At the moment, I only spend 50% from what I sell.

•••
At the moment, I only spend 50% from what I sell.

So far you have been the most successful with ngtlds, I think. :) Kudos man

•••

Not sure if it was intended for a broad range of uses. For the yoga industry .yoga is perfect IMHO.

•••
So far you have been the most successful with ngtlds, I think. :) Kudos man

Im pretty sure he is as well. I don't know how he's doing it. Congrats Fancy!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back