NameSilo

Showcase Your Spanish Language Domains

Located in Niche Domain Discussion started by J Sokol, Nov 27, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Accents: á, é, í, ó, ú. Yes, they do assist in the pronunciation. They are natural part of the word in question and should not be omitted (if you ask any Spanish language teacher). In some cases, words with omitted accents may have completely different meaning - but, since in real life words form parts of a context, it is not hard to see that a writer forgot to put an accent. Which is common for quick typing like sms or messengers, especially for younger generations. Not only (missed) accents, teenagers would frequently type abbreviations that I think a google translator would not understand (but another Spanish speaking person will).

A separate letter: ñ. It should not be considered as "n"+"~". It is a separate letter with a separate key on a spanish keyboard, and is pronounced differently.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. TCK

TCK NameOptions.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I have 2 domains that are city names with 'ñ' in the official name but registered without the 'n'. Mainly because they are tourist destinations and target audience are foreigners. These are:

LaPenita.com (La Peñita)

PenaDeBernal.com (Peña de Bernal)

From what I have seen, there is no trend in registering IDN characters in Spanish. Unless there is any sales data to support it, there is no value in them.

3. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

Absolutely. Like Si and Sí. I was lazy until recently and in informal communications like SMS’s seem normal, so easy because answering a question. ClaroQueSi like Claro’s slogan means 2 different things removing the tilde. I have been writing more and more and that requires the accent, but in domains I think I will stick to non IDN’s.

What about registering a reflexivo? Have anyone ever sold one? I bought some expired .com one word reflexives, but not sure if they will sell. They are good category centric names, but not confident.

4. TCK

You have to be very selective when registering verbs in reflexivo. My rule of thumb is how does it sound. Can a gringo recall it easily. For example, I have Ubicado.com (located) which could potentially be a good real estate brandable.

Spanish domain sales are in very early stages compared to English counterparts. I'd say 10 years behind, at least.

I have not had a significant sale but I have been involved in competitive bidding on Spanish language domains.

My sales in Latin American market have been English words like "ColombiaDirectory.com", etc.

But the standard rules apply, such as, is it memorable, easy to spell, easy to recall, etc.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  5. Andrew Knox

Andrew Knox Top Member VIP

6. offthehandle

offthehandle . Gold Account VIP

Well both were dropped and I felt are a great niche, and sound decent but of course the standard infinitives are better. I have actually found the type in traffic to not be at all like English, even though everybody has a smartphone today.

I saw a bunch of Colombia ones drop recently, past month. Actually decent ones too, but I passed.

I have dropped quite a few over the past few years, and some I wish I held. Most all the ones I drop, rarely do I see them simply sit unregistered, they get scooped up.

7. Recons.Com

Recons.Com Top Member VIP

The fact that Spanish names don't sell baffles me.

If I owned youth.com, I would be getting offers weekly and sell for mid 6 figures.

With Juventud, I haven't received even 1, although there are hundreds of companies for whom it would be a perfect upgrade.

I mean this second language on earth by native speakers, ahead of English.

8. Stankodomains

Stankodomains Established Member

FotoFondo

9. Jeremyah

Jeremyah Established Member

Lesbianasespanolas/com

And one related to Valencia City in Spain as a touristic destination : Valencia/travel

:xf.wink:

10. Stankodomains

Stankodomains Established Member

MOSCA/app

11. Arthur IM

Arthur IM Premium Spanish Domains Gold Account

12. garptrader

garptrader Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Compare the Viajes.es sale to Travel.com. The Spanish sale does not seem so impressive.

13. Arthur IM

Arthur IM Premium Spanish Domains Gold Account

The .com of viajes was sold for 600K 1 year ago. Is a good amount

14. Tyskeen

Tyskeen Established Member

BlockchainForo.com = Blockchainforum.com

15. techpr

techpr Established Member

huracan / info

One word = Hurricane

16. tasaki25

tasaki25 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Biologia.co

17. pertosda

pertosda Digital Marketing VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

clinic.es
    medic.es
    embarazadas.org
    bellezasalud.com
    elgourmet.net

18. garptrader

garptrader Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

While there are some 500 million Spanish speakers, the economics of many Spanish-speaking countries probably contributes to the reluctance of developers to pay up for an aftermarket domain. The monthly minimum wage in Colombia is under US$300 while in Venezuela the monthly minimum wage is about US$7. Try pricing domains you picked up for a backorder at US$5k+ and turnover will be disappointing.

19. namesquare

namesquare Established Member Trusted Contest Holder

I have a really good one
    Chinampa.com
    Registered May 07, 2011.

Chinampa (Nahuatl languages: chināmitl [tʃiˈnaːmitɬ]) is a type of Mesoamerican agriculture which used small, rectangular areas of fertile arable land to grow crops on the shallow lake beds in the Valley of Mexico.

[​IMG]

20. J Sokol

J Sokol Top Member VIP

Ah, that's a nice one. I didn't know about that way of growing crops.

21. dsrt

dsrt New Member

First post here, but I was really dying to reply to this thread...

I did an impulse buy and got ovn.is (OVNIS are UFOs in spanish) just for fun.

I thought about an URL shortener service since I already have all the backend and a server sitting there, doing nothing (it was an assignment for my university).

22. TCK

Just picked up Hablaras (dot com). Hand reg.

It literally means "you will speak". In Spanish the phrase in conjugated so it looks and sounds a lot cleaner, one word, not 3. Would make a great brand for language learning.

23. TCK

Did you know that the richest man in the world for the longest time is Mexican? He's dropped to #5 or 6 recently.

There are a lot of Fortune 100 companies moving into Latin America. Coca-Cola and Walmart own huge brands in Mexico for decades exclusively created for Spanish-speaking consumers. Volkswagen is building car models exclusive for the Mexican market that I never knew ever existed. I would imagine the same for other Latin American countries. Those are just a few examples.

Obviously we can't expect to sell Spanish domains for the same as their English equivalents.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  24. jamesall

jamesall Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

Jag har feminela

25. Jay Ha

Jay Ha Exploring.. Gold Account VIP

Nice! Brandable marketplaces have an appetite for such names it seems.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice