NameSilo
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
The next trend thread had some good discussion about Wearable Tech, So here is a thread to showcase and discuss.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
This is not the
s
h
o
w
c
a
s
e
t
h
r
e
a
d

Where I'm from we call the heating ones longjohns and the cooling ones shorts.

It seems to me that people don't seem to realize that 'wearables' has been a word (one of the lessor popular ones for what it means) for a long time. So keyword Wearables, if it had value would have been regged long ago.

The exceptions may be some specific new kind of "tech wearables" I suppose. I know wearables has been kind of short handed in articles but they have a subject context. Wearables just isn't a strong secondary keyword.

http://www.namepros.com/799841-showcase-and-discuss-wearable-technology-3.html......not too fussed about your opinions if the Op has no problems with names/ideas being displayed

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

interesting comments regarding the watch/smart watch

Last edited:
•••
In the beginning there was hardware..... then there came software.... now is the time for wearware!

•••
Where I'm from we call the heating ones longjohns and the cooling ones shorts.

It seems to me that people don't seem to realize that 'wearables' has been a word (one of the lessor popular ones for what it means) for a long time. So keyword Wearables, if it had value would have been regged long ago.

The exceptions may be some specific new kind of "tech wearables" I suppose. I know wearables has been kind of short handed in articles but they have a subject context. Wearables just isn't a strong secondary keyword.

Words can find new meanings when a new technology emerges. Most of us in this thread are speculating that the electronic and robotic devices related to the new “ Wearable Technology “ will be referred to as “ Wearables “ as a class.

If this happens then those who have taken a chance here will end up with a few decent domains and if it doesn’t then the cost of registration has been low enough (thanks to godaddy coupons :) ) that it would be considered to have been a good gamble. In my opinion the risk to reward ratio on these kind of domains is high enough that it justifies taking such gambles.

As to my domain ThermalWerables.com that I registered I was thinking about a computer controlled device (perhaps incorporated into a vest or a jacket) that would function as a personal (and portable) air conditioner.

IMO

Here are a few more domains that I got:

AdaptiveWearables.com
ExtremeWearables.com
AdvancedWearables.com

Last edited:
•••
As to my domain ThermalWerables.com that I registered I was thinking about a computer controlled device (perhaps incorporated into a vest or a jacket) that would function as a personal (and portable) air conditioner.

The scope is ridiculously narrow.

Here's your risk profile:

Factor 1:
A single use technology that doesn't yet exist with very limited scope and market (who needs a computer when you can just wear more or wear less)..

Factor 2:
You're looking for someone to have a site that is limited to that single technology (for it to make sense) or for that keyword to become huge.

Factor 3:
The term wearable to be more valuable to a seller/creator of that product than the (let's call it argubly better) alternatives (Clothing, Threads, Wear, etc)

Factor 4
GoDaddy coupons last one year - so your "long term" view is actually forced to be short term in reality.

Factor 5
This name actually does describe (somewhat) already existing products that no one cared to register this name. There are non tech products already (arctic wear) even under-armour to a certain extent and they wouldn't be interested atall.

Factor 6
If all the stars aligned and everything worked out and a company released a technology device that heated/cooled clothes that was not sold as part of the clothing (i.e. independently marketed to provide value) and got revenue of $100 million in the first year that wanted an EMD and wearable was redefined in the language - you'd still be third or fourth choice.and worth maximum of low $xxxx.

Better off putting a $1 on the Raiders to win the Superbowl.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Most of us in this thread are speculating that the electronic and robotic devices related to the new “ Wearable Technology “ will be referred to as “ Wearables “ as a class.

Why would we suddenly do that? It's "wearable technology" that's the "niche". iWearables works precisely because the "i" is the shortest brandable way to add the entire concept of technology to the term wearable in a way nothing else does.

Socks, pants, shirts, and shoes are wearables and always will be (and the awkward term at that - wear being so much better).

DU

I think "keyword" wearable(s) or the other way around will be become popular no matter what people think. Google, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, Dell are creating wearable products. These are the Goliaths of tech. How many others did I miss?

Levis, Talbots, Hanes, Fruit of the Loom....

•••
The scope is ridiculously narrow.

Here's your risk profile:

Factor 1:
A single use technology that doesn't yet exist with very limited scope and market (who needs a computer when you can just wear more or wear less)..

Factor 2:
You're looking for someone to have a site that is limited to that single technology (for it to make sense) or for that keyword to become huge.

Factor 3:
The term wearable to be more valuable to a seller/creator of that product than the (let's call it argubly better) alternatives (Clothing, Threads, Wear, etc)

Factor 4
GoDaddy coupons last one year - so your "long term" view is actually forced to be short term in reality.

Factor 5
This name actually does describe (somewhat) already existing products that no one cared to register this name. There are non tech products already (arctic wear) even under-armour to a certain extent and they wouldn't be interested atall.

Factor 6
If all the stars aligned and everything worked out and a company released a technology device that heated/cooled clothes that was not sold as part of the clothing (i.e. independently marketed to provide value) and got revenue of $100 million in the first year that wanted an EMD and wearable was redefined in the language - you'd still be third or fourth choice.and worth maximum of low $xxxx.

Better off putting a $1 on the Raiders to win the Superbowl.

Why would we suddenly do that? It's "wearable technology" that's the "niche". iWearables works precisely because the "i" is the shortest brandable way to add the entire concept of technology to the term wearable in a way nothing else does.

Socks, pants, shirts, and shoes are wearables and always will be (and the awkward term at that - wear being so much better).

Levis, Talbots, Hanes, Fruit of the Loom....

In order to understand the new uses for the term “ Wearables “ you first need to stop thinking of it in terms of clothing alone and start thinking about it in terms of electronic and robotic devices that are going to hit the market in the near future. In short you need to step out of the past and step into the future. :)

Although you might be right and these devices might be called by a different name, that's why I said that we were taking a gamble on these domains.

IMO

•••
My dice are rolled...Only time will tell if I hit a good number or not! But, you need be in it to win. Good luck everyone!

•••
My dice are rolled...Only time will tell if I hit a good number or not! But, you need be in it to win. Good luck everyone!
Hope that some of these new technologies become mainstream faster before the renewal time comes around. ;)

•••
See now DU's post is perfect example of what debate in these threads should be, someone using logic and understanding of the topic to debate why they think certain regs are not as good, Then the other person can debate back, its rooted in logic. Much more productive than waste of money, noob.

Great post.

•••
I'm sure you'll hit a good number or two, because you've got the mother lode of wearable tech domains. :tu:

GL 2u2.

•••
I'm sure you'll hit a good number or two, because you've got the mother lode of wearable tech domains. :tu:

GL 2u2.

Thanks Hawkeye...My money is on wearables for sure. If I can sell one or lot out of the bunch for xx,xxx, I'll be content. The dice are rolled! :lol:

•••
pretty cool to see the domaining legend " Adam Dicker " watching this thread

I've got huge respect for this guy

awesome !!!!

•••
Hope that some of these new technologies become mainstream faster before the renewal time comes around. ;)

Your right! Hopefully I can recoup something before this time next year. I am also willing to go a second year if needed. I need to see how the market plays out. Thankfully, I've already gotten a few offers already.

Ps: did you get the pm I sent you?

•••
Keeping both sides of the fence balanced here is an article not favorable from Canada

It’s no secret that I'm not a fan of Google Glass and its sister augmented reality devices that are just beginning to come out. But Google Glass is not the only wearable computer out there on the market, and not the only one that’s starting to face backlash from the tech community, as well as consumers. While last year it seemed like wearable tech was the only thing anyone could talk about, as more and more companies decided to get in on the game, and the closer these devices are coming to release, it seems like more and more people are saying, 'no thanks,' to wearable tech.

http://www.torontostandard.com/technology/is-wearable-tech-over-before-it-begins

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Another article with some other info

For companies looking to jump into the wearable tech industry, Wavefront on Wireless has a few pointers:

1) Pay attention to analytics.
If wearers are going to be retrieving data from their devices, the results have to be accurate. Even better, the devices might have scientifically validated software to prove their results are legitimate.

2) Data should be visual.
Users will respond better to data they can understand, especially if it be neatly categorized into a spreadsheet or chart.

3) Users want personalized data.
Users want to be able to act on their data and make positive changes in their behaviour – something they can’t do if their data isn’t well-organized and displayed.

4) Data should be stored in the cloud.
Users will want to access their data anywhere, any time, from any of their mobile devices.

http://www.itbusiness.ca/article/lessons-learned-from-wearable-technology

•••
pretty cool to see the domaining legend " Adam Dicker " watching this thread

I've got huge respect for this guy

awesome !!!!

FX...Me too! Researched the guy much. :hi: Andy!

•••
I mentioned Wearable Tech to Adam and as he is a big .ca investor, I said its very high risk, but you may want to take a look at the thread.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Billed as the world's first intelligent wearable camera and one that will herald a new form of photography, the OMG Life Autographer is always on, ready to capture a visual memento, as the brand hopes to tap into the emerging consumer market for wearable devices and for life blogging.

Worn around the neck or clipped onto clothes, the diminutive device boasts a 136° wide-angle lens (so that everyone or everything is always in shot) and can take up to 2000 shots a day. And because it has 8 GB of built-in storage, it can hold up to 280,00 images at any one time.

http://technology.canoe.ca/2013/07/29/21010426-relaxnews.html

•••
equity78...

Ive read at least 100 articles or more about wearable tech. I feel there are great points to use / not to use the new wearable technology. But the bottom line is that these BIG corps are looking to make billions behind the new tech. They have shareholders to appease and this is where the market is heading. There are so many avenues or domains you can purchase from this sector and make good cash down the road.

Like oldtimer said, Wearables are not just clothing but devices and gadgets also. From goggles to armbands to watches....and the list goes on and on...

They will eventually invent something the masses will gravitate to. I'm pretty sure Apple, Google and Microsoft have something up their sleeves regarding wearables.

It's almost like the stock market, you have your people on the fence that want the stock to go down for a short sale and the people looking long. I'm going long...

I read forum comments and articles online and I know they come from someones perspective. Whether their short or long is reflected in their articles. I take what all these writers are saying and make my own opinion.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Oh I agree Scorzaze just trying to post articles that tell both sides for those not well informed.

I can say Adam told me he jumped into the space with WearableComputer.ca/iWearable.ca/iWearables.ca

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Motorola has wearable technology ambitions

A job listing suggests a future direction for Motorola and indicates that its products will be amied at mass markets.

The job listing, for a senior director of industrial design - wearables, seeks a candidate who can take responsibility for Motorola Mobility's path into wearable technology and who will ensure that the company's ideas and innovative approach actually align with what consumers desire.

http://technology.canoe.ca/2013/07/22/20992731-relaxnews.html

Last edited:
•••
I can say Adam told me he jumped into the space with WearableComputer.ca/iWearable.ca/iWearables.ca..
Before or after he read this here?

Nice grabs if they were still sitting there up to the last few days.

edit: never mind I see.
If any 'up-there' domainers were reading this thread, and missed out on these, .... tsk tsk.

Last edited:
•••
I recommended those keywords to him Kevin and he regged them. WearableCamera and WearableCameras were the others he regged them.

•••
•••
Before or after he read this here?

Nice grabs if they were still sitting there up to the last few days.

edit: never mind I see.
If any 'up-there' domainers were reading this thread, and missed out on these, .... tsk tsk.

I remember looking at some .ca domains a couple of months ago literally and saw wearabletech.ca available... It was sitting there for weeks and I was like damn. Look at that gold...I'm pretty sure if I was more of a savvy domainer, I would've gotten a few .ca nuggets...

•••
Another one I have

WearableTech.co.za (South Africa)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back