NameSilo

Shout-Out To Bob Hawkes

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Please give a shout-out to our very own @Bob Hawkes!:xf.smile:

It was recently uncovered that Bob was feeling a little less motivated, and possibly retiring from Namepros, after some recent bullying. This saddened me as Bob has been a wonderful contributor and a valuable asset to this community. I may not agree with everything he writes, but I respect and admire his contributions. He is passionate and good natured. He is always respectful and the bullying he has recently endured is completely uncalled for.

Please give @Bob Hawkes a shout-out in the comments or Like/Thanks this post to let him know there are those who care!:xf.smile:

(The best defense against bullies is letting those who bully know we stand with those who are bullied)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the time has come for sure to wind down this thread. Thank you @Internet.Domains for starting the thread. It was a kind and brave, at the time, thing to do.

But I don't want to end the discussion about professional behaviour, but I do want to shift the focus away from me. So I created a new thread.

It is called We Can and Must Fix This. I want us all, every single one of us, to work together to make this community better. I even think it can help us sell domains, long term.

I have posted some ideas to start the discussion.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/we-must-and-can-fix-this.1138079/

I hope to see you all there.

Bob

•••
Somehow this thread reminds me on the phrase: "Let's agree to disagree.". :xf.smile:

•••
Well we could debate the definition of "bullying", and we could debate if it applies here, as it can be subjective. Although, someone felt they were bullied. Plain and simple. This thread was not intended to oust, ban, discipline, or call out the bully.

Instead, this thread was intended to support someone who felt victimized. To stand with someone who felt down after being "put-down." This thread is more about love than hate.

I have no problem sending love the way of @Bob Hawkes.

However, I would feel terrible if that also meant labeling someone as a bully who doesn't deserve it.

•••
I have no problem sending love the way of @Bob Hawkes.

However, I would feel terrible if that also meant labeling someone as a bully who doesn't deserve it.
Again, nobody was named or labelled. This thread never mentioned anyone else besides being a shout-out for Bob.

•••
•••
Bob Hawkes is a great friend of mine, the best friend I had in my 20 years of domaining. We have exchanged lots of messages by both NP messaging and cell phone texting. Not too long ago I left NP due to all the hostility, flaming and nasty images posted about me by a few members saying falsely i'm a liar and other BS.

Thanks to Bob saying I should not leave NP, combined with greatly missing reading and participating in Bob's extremely valuable, intelligent and respectful posts I decided to return once again but did not know if it was a good idea to become active again.

I recall saying to Bob why would I want to share my experience and knowledge with all the NP members including the bullying and nasty ones when I get very little in return. You may not know this but I don't try to sell domains on NP and haven't in a long time, so being here does not help me financially in any way.

Over the years most all the old domainers except for a small number departed long ago taking their helpful knowledge and insight with them thus depriving the other and new members the benefit of their experience.

So it now appears my dear friend Bob is MIA. I have no personal knowledge of that but can say Bob hasn't been in touch with me or posted in a long time, possibly (but not sue) over the bullying and crap he endured.

Now there are more nasty members of NP surfacing in addition to the several haters who said I was a LIAR, made up falsifications and posted the bullying giant images (which should not have been allowed by the Mods at the time).

Just yesterday was the straw that broke the camels back when a new hater and believed to be a British female member said "FU" and "bugger-of mate" to me for no valid reason. Her despicable "FU" post was quickly edited (probably by a Mod) but not before being read by myself and others.

As a result of the great hostility and nastiness by several NP members directed to both Bob Hawkes and myself (sometimes also targeting others), sadly I may soon be suspending or stopping my activity here.

Last edited:
•••
Hi everyone, and thank you for all the kind comments.

@namemarket I count you as a great friend, as well as source of long term information about domains. I am sorry that you, and others, have from time to time suffered abuse. I truly hope you will reconsider and stay in NPs. Your long term perspective and open attitude to new ideas is something we can all learn from.

Yes, it's true that I have not been very active on NPs for the last few weeks (or at least not as active as I had been before - but that was probably too active :xf.wink:). This was partly a few other things in my life intervening, partly deciding to try to balance my life a bit more, and partly deliberately taking a break from writing much (I kept reading and liking/thanking during the interim). I had suggested to several others that maybe a short recess from NPs is not a bad idea, providing a new perspective, and I was merely taking my own advice.

I've said this previously, but just to stress I have not felt personally victimized, I totally accept that there can and should be vibrant debate on all issues as long as it does not go beyond community standards of civility and respect for the truth, and I believe that NPs management and moderators do an amazing job with a task that is impossible to please all.

It is always good for each of us to find balance in our lives and to realize that we have many choices within our lives and to cherish those.

I look forward to continuing to interact with the smart, knowledgeable, and mainly kind people who call NPs an online home. Together we are stronger than any of us would be if we were in domaining on our own.

Have a good week everyone.

Bob

•••
I don’t think that is entirely true. I get the same amount of likes whether I post a $500 sale or a $5K sale. This place is supportive like that 😉

lol me too. the point is the sail, not so much the price. But from his level of lengthy posts, he needs a more than xxx sail to gain the "respect" of "the people"

•••
Bob has our respect. But I agree, until all his theories are demonstrated by actual big sales, his theories will remain just that...theories.

Last edited:
•••
BaileyUK:
Right, in the end, what usually matters most are results. Money talks...B.S. .... well, you know.

•••
So which thread is the root cause of all this drama? I still have some popcorn left.

•••
•••
But thankfully a recent posting has cleared up some of the misunderstanding of direction of NamePros .
I refer to the recent posting by Namepros CMO

"Who wouldn't want want to own a dot Ninja domain" That posting brought a smile to my face and showed me why, and perhaps a few others had been on the wrong track and tact.in calling out a certain other Ntld advocate
Interesting interpretation, Ray.

To clarify:
  1. NamePros does not currently have a CMO, which stands for Chief Marketing Officer.
  2. The staff member you are quoting is @Paul Buonopane and the letters under his username on his posts show CTO, which stands for Chief Technology Officer. To further drive that point home, his avatar is of a computer terminal.
  3. Ninjas are popular in some sectors of tech, and therefore, popular with some CTO's.
  4. Paul is a technology expert working in the domain industry, so it's natural for him to have an affinity toward .ninja domains. That is his personal opinion, those are his personal domains, and none of it has anything to do with NamePros itself or the way moderators handle reports.
  5. We handle all reports the same, regardless of what they're about or who reported them.
  6. You should read about confirmation bias because it appears to have caused you to misinterpret information (and misread letters that look nothing alike).
Please be more responsible when you post so as to not intentionally spread misinformation.

Update: Read Paul's response.

•••
WHERE IS TNE BULLY THREAD?

•••
WHERE IS TNE BULLY THREAD?
Was between this and another read with words facts questioned twisted was domain drama and my lunchtime read as a fly on wall. Was going to sell some popcorn but their going to need sodas now and a manicure.

Reserve the finger pointing to some deserving scam rather than someone that doesn't agree on every speculation.

Last edited:
•••
In cases of bullying I am always on the side of the victim.

In this time and age, the charge of bullying is to be taken very seriously. If you make such a charge, please provide proof.

No industry or business is "nice". However, in the years I have been part of this industry, the spirit of camaraderie is stronger than in any other.

I am glad you have had that experience I have had far stronger in just about every industry I have participated in.

•••
•••
In this time and age, the charge of bullying is to be taken very seriously. If you make such a charge, please provide proof.
The moderator's also take it seriously and have therefore removed the posts related, or they removed the "proof." For good reason, of course.

•••
The moderator's also take it seriously and have therefore removed the posts related, or they removed the "proof." For good reason, of course.

IMHO, anyone engaging in online bullying should be banned after a number of warnings. The ideal would be to call bullies out and shame them for the bullying. Bullying is dangerous. Not an acceptable form of free speech. @Rob Monster would disagree.

I think a lot of people are confused because they can’t see the bullying.

Last edited:
•••
Again, nobody was named or labelled. This thread never mentioned anyone else besides being a shout-out for Bob.

But obviously that person, aka bully, knows who they are, even if we don't. And perhaps recently started threads offer a clue.

Also those that participated in the "bully thread" (or threads) would know who that person is.

Last edited:
•••
Saw the post late but will surely take an opportunity to thank @Bob Hawkes for his contribution,positive posts and comments. He was the one i first DM to clarify some of my domaining doubts when entered in the field as a newbie.
Quitting NP is not the right take Bob. People tend to be bully or i would say jerks many times in life but that does not mean we should stop doing the good things that matter to others.

•••
•••
@Bob Hawkes you are a fantastic person and lovely human being. You have many friends and fans in this community. I m one of them. Great to see you back on board. Wish you good luck and all the best.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back