IT.COM

Shout-Out To Bob Hawkes

NameSilo
Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Please give a shout-out to our very own @Bob Hawkes!:xf.smile:

It was recently uncovered that Bob was feeling a little less motivated, and possibly retiring from Namepros, after some recent bullying. This saddened me as Bob has been a wonderful contributor and a valuable asset to this community. I may not agree with everything he writes, but I respect and admire his contributions. He is passionate and good natured. He is always respectful and the bullying he has recently endured is completely uncalled for.

Please give @Bob Hawkes a shout-out in the comments or Like/Thanks this post to let him know there are those who care!:xf.smile:

(The best defense against bullies is letting those who bully know we stand with those who are bullied)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Please give a shout-out to our very own @Bob Hawkes!:xf.smile:

It was recently uncovered that Bob was feeling a little less motivated, and possibly retiring from Namepros, after some recent bullying. This saddened me as Bob has been a wonderful contributor and a valuable asset to this community. I may not agree with everything he writes, but I respect and admire his contributions. He is passionate and good natured. He is always respectful and the bullying he has recently endured is completely uncalled for.

Please give @Bob Hawkes a shout-out in the comments to let him know there are those who care!:xf.smile:

(The best defense against bullies is letting those who bully know we stand with those who are bullied)

Love Bob. He keeps it real and is a force for common good. I can't even begin to understand how anyone could not like Bob's enthusiastic interest to not only grow in his own personal effectiveness, but also to improve the lot of others. I met Bob for the first time at NamesCon in January. We had a lovely visit. I count him as an industry friend even though I am sure we don't agree on all things.

As for bullies at NamePros, yes, there are some unaccountable anonymous thugs at NamePros. Speaking from experience, I believe the key to dealing with bullies is to figure out a way to (1) turn lemons into lemonade, and (2) recognize that bullies often have an agenda and therefore if they take issue with you, or you get brigaded, then you are probably doing something right in a way that is big enough to matter.

•••
I was away at my volunteer position in the community the last number of hours so my apologies for not replying sooner, including to a number of direct messages that were left. Let me say several things, but I hope to at some point in the not too future say more about how I think we can all, working together make the domain community an even more positive and welcoming place.

But briefly....
  1. I am touched by this outpouring (super thank you to everyone), but really I am fine.:xf.smile: Don't worry about me, please!
  2. PLEASE do not try to guess who you think 'the bad guys' might be or be mean to anyone. This is not about certain people, it is a matter of each of us becoming more sensitive. If you want to do something for me be nice and respectful to EVERYONE, ALWAYS. Please.
  3. This is NOT about NPs not having moderated something they should. The NP mods do an absolutely awesome job. I said that in my May shout out, but every day each of us should thank them. NPs is amazingly run. Think about it 1 million members (not all active) with almost that many views on everything in an and out of the domain world. It is a work of art that it runs as well as it does. Huge thanks to everyone involved in NP management and moderation.
  4. I probably should not try to explain this when I am as tired as I feel right now, but essentially it is about me realizing how bothered I was that after working for many decades (both officially working and in organizations volunteer) with literally many thousands of people from dozens of countries I had difficulty of thinking of any cases where people called names, used disrespectful language, said things that were untrue, belittled the accomplishments of others, misrepresented what others said, or twisted what should be vibrant discussions of ideas and principles into unrelated attacks on people. I asked, and still ask, myself whether I really wanted to see people subjected to that in the domain community. Probably 99.5% of NP members do treat others respectfully. We need to make it 100%. We can.
Have a good evening everyone.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
It would be a sad day for the community if @Bob Hawkes left the industry. He has added a great deal of value since he joined.

If I were @NamePros, I would look to understand any actions by users that make someone like Bob even think about leaving, and then work to eliminate those actions from the community and website.

•••
Bob is the kind of guy that gives me faith in humanity. I'm not even exaggerating, because we can all learn from him in one way or another. Maybe it's domain related, maybe it's not but either way you can learn from the way Bob communicates and handles his affairs.

I want nothing to do with anyone here that has treated him badly.

Last edited:
•••
@Bob Hawkes Don't ever let anyone steal your joy. Every member here has the right to post what and how they like so long as it is not intentional misinformation or against the forum rules.

This is not a nice industry overall, a lot of people who have done nothing for no one and have never made a domain sale of any consequence like to sit back and take anonymous cheap shots, they are meaningless, they don't matter.

Now one thing I don't like to see is someone considering a disagreement to be trolling or bullying, sometimes people just don't agree and that's fine. The mods did a good job of cleaning up that thread over and over. Personally I believe there should be a forum rule, if you are going to start a thread that is about your personal success you need to back it up, like many years ago all domain forums said you had to provide screenshots when you were trying to sell domains with traffic.

If (this is not directed at Bob) you are going to make claims of success then you need to be able to back that up, you cannot say you are a private person, a private person does not post anything about themselves to try to gain some sunlight on their accomplishments. You either want the attention or you don't.

Another thing that many here get wrong, A DISCUSSION THREAD does not belong to you, once you start it and someone else posts, it belongs to the community, every member that posts within the rules can post their on topic views. @Eric Lyon will confirm that.

Thank you for your contributions Bob.

•••
Bob H. is a great asset to the domain community. I love his writings at NameTalent.com and was delighted to meet and share a meal with him at NamesCon. Top notch member of this forum in a very short time (y)

•••
I like Bob a lot too he has good knowledge a number of subjects and topics.

Except two....

1. He feels he has to explain when he uses the dislike button.

2. He has not mastered the use of the ignore feature.

I think if he works on those two a bit he might not feel as overwhelmed.

Point 1 & 2 can be quite liberating if you use them correctly :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
Ditto ditto ditto.

I have witnessed @Bob Hawkes take demeaning comments and fully attempt to turn them into an attempt for him to learn from - even though the comments were created to be demeaning!! This is extra-ordinary, and admirable.

The man uses water to fight fire, yet has a fire within him that CANNOT be doused! Those that don't agree, at the very least have some respect.

Thanks.

And ID thnx for the BALLS to start this thread. It takes a lot more courage to stand up to whats right than it does to to ignore for what's WRONG. Commendation.

•••
@Bob Hawkes Don't let yourself get down. I respect your good natured, honest, in depth posts. I feel Namepros needs more members like you not the idiot haters!

I feel out of the loop. Please direct me to some threads where this idiotic bullying behaviour comes from.

•••
His writing may be too long at times, but Bob impresses me with his enthusiasm and making a positive contribution to NP. Thanks @Bob Hawkes

•••
Bob is nice guy, appears to be the type of person I'd have over for dinner and relax with in my living room. He appears to be a quality individual with integrity. Here's to Bob!(y)

But whether he knows his stuff with regards to domaining, has nothing to do with how nice or gentlemanly a person he is. If he's offering up lengthy opinions based on theory, that are contradicted by my personal experience, I will post my contrary opinion. If this offends him or others, then we all might as well just accept everything everyone posts here at face value and not discuss it.

After all is said and done, those of us who have been involved in domaining for a long time are set in our ways. We're not really going to change what we do very much. But the newbies here, they are the primeblood of NamePros, the future generation of domainers, and if we allow countless posts from Bob or from anyone else, no matter how lengthily and politely presented, to pass without criticism, then we are doing a disservice to the newest and really, most important members of NamePros.

If I post how best to sell Ferraris, and it turns out I've never sold a Ferrari in my life, I'd expect someone to call me out. If my ideas stink, then I'd be expected to argue that they don't, but it doesn't mean that I'd have a right to cry about being picked on. Just because I present my ideas in a long drawn out manner doesn't mean that they are right.

The main thing I've noticed about Bob's posts, in case you haven't observed it yourself, is that they tend to march to a different drum from most of the seasoned professionals on here, the ones who are actually selling. Maybe you guys haven't noticed that as acutely as some of us. It would appear that Bob doesn't read what others post in a thread before he comes in with his opinion. This can be good, this can be commendable, his thoughts are often unique, but when what he posts contradicts what others of us think we know from personal experience, it's not right to come in and say that we think he's wrong?

Sometimes, yes, the discussions get a little lively, but that's not to say that anyone is putting Bob down personally.

As I've said before

The end goal is to make us all better domainers. Sometimes criticism is part of that process.

Last edited:
•••
His writing may be too long at times, but Bob impresses me with his enthusiasm and making a positive contribution to NP. Thanks @Bob Hawkes
I like to say he got the "gift of content"..
Wish I had his gift of writing and research!

In fact, I am already at a loss for words..so on that note..don't change Bob!

•••
It would be a sad day for the community if @Bob Hawkes left the industry. He has added a great deal of value since he joined.

If I were @NamePros, I would look to understand any actions by users that make someone like Bob even think about leaving, and then work to eliminate those actions from the community and website.

Well, said @Michael Cyger

@Bob Hawkes you not leaving buddy, Don't make me fly to Canada and drag you back into @NamePros 🤣

•••
@Bob Hawkes

Bob is truly amazing guy, kind, nice, and wise OP, and I hope also my domain friend. What is most important is that he is very balanced in his opinions, he understands well what logical argument is, and he can count well (meaning: he can form his opinions using math). Most of all, he is incredibly helpful to everyone!!!

What happened in a .live thread I started, how some OPs treated him was difficult, almost painful for me to read. As I was away, he tried to defend the logic of renewing domain names in advance which I proposed, (oh man, and those were new gTLDs, big mistake!) so he got the "love" which otherwise would in big part come to me, would I actively participate in the thread as well. I certainly must deserve all that (am I correct, @equity78 ?), as I am NOT disclosing my personal financial data for whole world to see. On internet. To everyone out there. OK, I get that. Although there is not such rule on Namepros that you need to disclose your personal financial data when celebrating new gTLDs (can we even celebrate them, or is that not a sign of professional domainer - maybe only semi professional, or are we all false prophets, if we celebrate?), some people simply think they can then openly call me scammer, snake oil seller, and dozens of other names I got so far. I do not sell my names in Namepros but stil, there has to be something fishy. Omg, and I sell those new gTLD names appraisals openly on my website...how can I dare! The full rage is on! The rage is there, but I am not there, so then someone who (partially) agreed with something I wrote about renewals of new gTLDs will get the "love" instead. How nice from you guys. All long time members, anonymous avatars, cranky, frequently combative, frequently in a bad mood...

Well, no one will object that when discussing new gTLDs, no matter what topic (how to register them, which to drop, if to renew them, how to appraise them, etc), it always gets personal, and it gets personal quickly. It is ok. In 2019 it is much better then in 2016, so no complains. Plus I know very well I am not well balanced towards all extensions, I love new gTLDs, and I am not big fan of .com. This will irritate many. But to act in such bad manner to Bob who is always so factual and neutral to ALL extensions, while providing TONS of useful information and help to everyone, is straightfoward shameful.

You guys who behaved poorly, go to give some appraisals to new members, do at least something useful and meaningful, and apologize to Bob via PM at least, this is the minimum you should do!!!

•••
My 2 cents:

Bob is wonderful. Love reading through his posts. Some find them long, but I find them mostly eloquent. Although, I often find myself disagreeing with conclusions from that, I can still appreciate nicely put opinion differing from mine.

Now, xynames and others similar to him, although having harsh and straight shooting manner of expressing their opinions, also need to be recognized as valuable and contributing members of the community. I probably have clashed with him on occasion or two, but I have no problem admitting that the guy adds lots of value, is analytical and bases many things on his experience.

The key here is to recognize that Bob is more of a blogger and journalist than domain investor in the pure sense that you are investing considerable amount and expecting a return that is adequate for the very high risk of this industry and the time invested. So he cannot be measured by "but have you sold anything?".

But that question has to be asked of Lolwarrior who claims to be making money and offers lots of advice that goes AGAINST CONVENTIONAL WISDOM of the industry with no proof AT ALL. Bob took lots of heat for him, because he took on to clarify what Lol was saying in his absense. At this point, it is clear that Lolwarrior does not care about credibility, as apparently he was writing something to the tune of community members coming and offering him in excess of $5K for the names that many wouldn't pick up at a reg fee, based on a sale that supposedly happened but he won't tell us about. The guy is offering valuation services on forum (for free) and on his website (for $495), while having no factual sales to back up that he knows what he is doing.

I think if there is a lesson to be learned here for Bob, it is that he shouldn't get involved in a heated discussion summarizing all the arguments for and against and doing "thinking aloud" in the writing process, as the responses will get personalized. Most people cannot distinguish between the opinion and the person behind it.

Last edited:
•••
@Bob Hawkes
Don't let haters bring you down! Keep doing what you're doing!

•••
@Bob Hawkes is one of the most polite, most unbiased and most contributing members in this forum. He deserves our best respect.

Respect is one of the basics of interaction. No one respects you if you don't respect others.

Last edited:
•••
As a new community member i learnt a lot from @Bob Hawkes . Thanks a lot.

•••
•••
I am a fan of @Bob Hawkes mainly because of the positive energy that resonates from the content of his posts and comments. I enjoy the consistent cordial and courteous nature of Bob's expression.

My take on it is: I'm a lot less inclined to pay much attention to anyone who feels they must or can "get away" with bullying/trolling/belittling another NamePros member, especially one who generally brings positivity, optimism and no hidden or underlying agendas to NamePros.

I consider Bob Hawkes a valuable contributor to the site (and domaining/domain investing in general); one who I respect and admire; even if folks say he tends to be long-winded at times.

(Side-Note: I've always enjoyed reading, so it doesn't bother me if his posts sometimes contain LOTS of words :xf.grin:)

•••
Love Bob. He keeps it real and is a force for common good. I can't even begin to understand how anyone could not like Bob's enthusiastic interest to not only grow in his own personal effectiveness, but also to improve the lot of others. I met Bob for the first time at NamesCon in January. We had a lovely visit. I count him as an industry friend even though I am sure we don't agree on all things.

As for bullies at NamePros, yes, there are some unaccountable anonymous thugs at NamePros. Speaking from experience, I believe the key to dealing with bullies is to figure out a way to (1) turn lemons into lemonade, and (2) recognize that bullies often have an agenda and therefore if they take issue with you, or you get brigaded, then you are probably doing something right in a way that is big enough to matter.
Cheers to that! Over lemonade, of course.:xf.smile:

•••
•••
Ur one of da bullies, u kno that right? :tightlyclosedeyes:

Is bully the correct adjective here?

Maybe I missed the bullying posts elsewhere.

The post you quoted was more critical than bullying.

Much like his other posts.

Wouldn't critic be a better descriptive adjective?

Further, does his experience and education give him more credibility to his criticism?

The random pic I found as my current display pic says successful people compliment, unsuccessful people criticize. Granted the definition of success is subjective to each individual. Nonetheless, I have it as my display pic for the time being to remind myself of alternative things to do/say besides more negative attracting things such as criticizing.

FB_IMG_1557682852752.jpg

I don't want to profess to know everything as I'm trying to figure it out just like everyone else. But for what my opinion is worth, might I suggest more compliments are in order (from all parties)?

Not necessarily complimenting the content if you disagree, but perhaps compliment the time they took to reply. Some people value their time more than others. For those struggling to find value in their time, the value of somebody else's time may often be overlooked.

•••
@Bob Hawkes is a really bright and wise guy. This forum is full of intelligent, talented, driven people.

Took me a bit to fully understand the diversity of the forum and to become a bit humble amongst so many brilliant people.

I recommend the following:

1. Consistent kindness and professionalism is king. Trust me, you can't lose being that way.

2. Be Resilient and keep things light. Leave any attitude at the door and try to *appreciate* different perspectives.

3. Never expect special treatment. Contributions are completely voluntary and the forum is open to everyone that follows the rules.

4. Remember that everything you say here will remain for all to see. It's a responsibility.

5. Keep doing 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Bob, your contributions are a real benefit to this resource.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back