NameSilo

Shout-Out To Bob Hawkes

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
Please give a shout-out to our very own @Bob Hawkes!:xf.smile:

It was recently uncovered that Bob was feeling a little less motivated, and possibly retiring from Namepros, after some recent bullying. This saddened me as Bob has been a wonderful contributor and a valuable asset to this community. I may not agree with everything he writes, but I respect and admire his contributions. He is passionate and good natured. He is always respectful and the bullying he has recently endured is completely uncalled for.

Please give @Bob Hawkes a shout-out in the comments or Like/Thanks this post to let him know there are those who care!:xf.smile:

(The best defense against bullies is letting those who bully know we stand with those who are bullied)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think that @Bob Hawkes is a definite huge plus to the NamePros community.

I was following that "bullying" thread. My advice to Bob, is not to take the negative comments to seriously. This is afterall a discussion board. People are entitled to have different opinions. It got particularly nasty when Bob made a statement, which it appeared his website evidence didn't support. You must expect that kind of "probing" if you get into an altercation. Personally. I think you have morphed a little too much into the mathematician, in recent posts. Which cause my eyes just glaze over with their complexity. IMHO.

My advice would be to take it on the chin. Try to reach at least a conversational communication with any adversary. If that is not possible because you both cannot reach any mutual understanding. There is always the ignore button. But you will miss some of the "flavor" of this diverse community by using it.

I really hope you don't leave this community. Your presence here is extremely valuable. Just tone down these immensely complex mathematical posts. Please :)

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
@Bob Hawkes, @NamePros is very fortunate to have you as a member. From what I can see you make great contributions to the community.

Unfortunately there are users who don't take domaining as something serious and still need to grow up. But the veterans on NamePros appreciate you being here, that's clear.

•••
@Bob Hawkes He is really humble and polite personality, that makes huge difference between average people and legend.
Come to India @Bob Hawkes i will buy Beer for You.:xf.smile:

•••
I think bullying is a strong word. I have seen people who are routinely curt with everyone be curt about Bob’s always long posts. Meaning the person I saw likes to be sarcastic to everyone here. So if he talks the same way to everyone it’s not targeted which bullying usually is. There are just some azzholes here just like everywhere else on the net.

Any actual bullying should be reported to the mods immediately. With all respect to Bob, you do a lot of posting you will clash or annoy some people— it’s inevitable. Best to toughen up and not take other people’s opinions personally.

•••
This is a refreshing thread, and I appreciate everyone's input. It seems that @lolwarrior best sums up my thoughts about Bob:

What is most important is that he is very balanced in his opinions, he understands well what logical argument is, and he can count well (meaning: he can form his opinions using math). Most of all, he is incredibly helpful to everyone!!!

When I joined NP almost a year ago, Bob stood out from the beginning as someone who would offer useful and constructive information. And I appreciate his analytical skills, because I lack the patience to delve into the numbers as he does.

Hope you'll stick with us, Bob!

•••
Bob is a nice guy, good at writing content too (y)

•••
@Bob Hawkes is the reason I joined NP. I had read some of his posts and they drew me in. I’ve said it before: Bob is the NPMVP in my book.

•••
@Bob Hawkes hey keep it up

.. but keep it short , too

•••
Bob is both a great friend and IMO the #1 member here and I hate to see him being flamed for no valid reason.

•••
@Bob Hawkes:

I haven't been on NamePros for very long, but long enough to recognize the value of your contribution. Thank you for doing what you do. Don't be discouraged by the minority who don't appreciate your input. You're awesome.

•••
Bob Hawkes is great. love reading his comments and I can't understand how someone like him can be bullied here. indeed uncalled for.

•••
If he's offering up lengthy opinions based on theory, that are contradicted by my personal experience, I will post my contrary opinion. If this offends him or others, then we all might as well just accept everything everyone posts here at face value and not discuss it.

Speaking of lengthy,
Your post was 422 words.
Bob's was 375 words.

I know it's not a word measuring competition. And the size of a post isn't a dependent variable equating to quality.

Nor is ones stamina a dependent variable to quality. But in terms of discussion, it helps carry it on, similar to how as quality does.

But length of post + stamina = effort. And it's hard to fault somebody who's giving their best effort. Because, should they not give up, over time their efforts will blossom into experience that we all can benefit from. As they may not have been the subject matter expert when they began, years of lengthy posts and continued discussion can lead to ones becoming.

The end goal is to make us all better domainers. Sometimes criticism is part of that process.

Per the namePros expectations for respect and constructiveness

Criticism and debate is certainly permitted--even encouraged--but we will not allow members to thrive purely on hatred and disdain.

IMO, and to put in sports talk, I see criticism like defense to one's offense. If you want to be a better offensive [insert sport here] player in the world, you have to be willing to go up against better defensive [insert sport here] players. Otherwise, how will you get better? Or, how will you know you're getting better? Or what happens when you find out you're not as good as you thought you were? Thinking you're the best COD player in the world, only to realize you were playing against n00bs your entire gaming career.

There is always the ignore button. But you will miss some of the "flavor" of this diverse community by using it.

When it comes to criticism, or the nP flavor, I think the report button is equally important as the ignore button, when it reaches that point.

I don't mean that in a way to use the report button when somebody is criticizing you, but if it violates rule 1.2.

1.2. Be professional, tactful, and constructive at all times. Do not harass, threaten, attack, instigate, insult, or antagonize others.

Mods will assess the report and assess the reported contented based on

Assessment criteria

These criteria are soft guidelines for moderators. Assessment is subjective, and discussion between staff members is encouraged. Users could be assessed based on criteria not listed here. We've published the criteria so that members will have a better idea of the factors we consider.

Content has been notably:
  • accusatory: repeatedly makes negative claims regarding the integrity of other entities
  • defensive: objects harshly to any criticism or counter-arguments; often accuses others of being hypocritical
  • destructive: lacking helpful information, such as a list of improvements that can be made
  • antagonizing: tends to initiate cycle of hostility
  • controversial: other members have objected to the presentation of content, rather than the views it expresses
  • offensive: worded so as to offend another entity where a less offensive approach could be taken
  • disrespectful: presented in a manner that lacks regard for the feelings and efforts of others; unnecessarily blunt
  • unprofessional: ignores standard rules of etiquette when communicating publicly
  • reported: repeatedly reported by other members
  • unforgiving: accusations often reference past incidents that have been largely forgotten or forgiven by the community
  • stubborn: establishes opinion as fact and regards differing views as offensive
  • aggressive: tends to increase the level of hostility in a debate
  • retaliative: continues cycles of attacks
Content lacks:
  • usefulness: does not contribute to discussion in a positive way
  • understanding: disregards the differing views of others
  • tact: apparent lack of effort to word opinions respectfully
  • self-control: user loses temper easily or fails to remain calm when attacked

If the criticism you're receiving is not in violation of the rules, and you're still offended, maybe you should ask more questions. Specific questions. Even if it's a simple question. Such as Why this? Or What do you mean by that?

Some might say that asking these simple questions is trolling. But when you're dumbfounded to somebody else's opinion, you have to be open to the possibility that you're misunderstanding them, or they're misunderstanding themselves. So you take it back to grade school. And check their work. Step by step. Comparing your notes with theirs. Ensuring the validity of yours and their results. To see what went wrong, and why your math doesn't match theirs.

Stamina plays a big role on how much of others opinion you want to put up with, and try to understand. Then comes the is this the best use of your time debate of trying to understand somebody's opinion that has a greater chance of adding value to you, versus endless debates with somebody that will likely violate nP rules many times long before adding value to you.

How to know who's criticism to accept and who's to ignore?

That's the hard part. As even the best could overlook something obvious to the worst. And why it's probably best to keep all the nP flavor you can.

But when a true pro gives you criticism, with respect, I think accepting it and challenging it leads to the growth of not only you, and the pro, but others in the community reading it.

Opposed, to maybe the stubborned member, who is set in their position, a position which you grossly disagree with, feel you'd be better off not wasting your time reading their content, and come to the time benefit best experience over maximum flavor decision to block. The question remains, how long do you have to disagree with someone or how much time do you have to waste reading disagreeable content, before giving up on that member, and blocking them from your nP flavors.

Ok, I've ranted long enough. And all this flavor talk has me thinking of Doritos. And I don't have Doritos. This rant is also making me realize my overuse of 'and' at the beginning of sentences. If you've read this far, please enjoy the below video on criticism, which I feel is a fitting zoomed out relative perspective to online criticism.

Last edited:
•••
@frank-germany, famous for his one liners

@Bob Hawkes, famous for his one pagers

Man if we could somehow combine those two there is no telling what we would get :xf.laugh: :ROFL: :xf.laugh: :ROFL:

•••
Don't ever leave Bob. I read many of your posts with great admiration.

You remind me of a certain "Red", from Shawshank Redemption (without the criminal background ofcourse!).

Intelligent, kind-hearted and trustworthy.

Thanks to you, and many others, I'm getting something done.

•••
While I'm unaware of the incidents or circumstances that initiated this thread, reasonable regard and respect should be afford each member of the Forum.

Re Bob Hawkes I always find his posts to be well written and well reasoned and worthy of a read, whether I'm in agreement or nor with his posting ( usually in agreement I'll add).

Some members post brief replays to threads, sometimes a bit lacking in facts or evidence or personal experience citations and thats' fine, that is their style. Other members posting style may be more
" rich in content and citations or the basis for their position " in a thread.

Bob Hawkes IMO typifies the content rich poster and I do enjoy reading his well reasoned, positive
and polite postings whenever he sees fit to post.

•••
I enjoy Bob's posts and I've learned quite a bit from them. His website has a lot of great articles too. Thankful he is a member here.

•••
say NO, to no @Bob Hawkes (love your work)

DO what is right for you!

Cheers
Corey

•••
I don’t know much about the matter, i also haven’t ever interacted with him but i want @Bob Hawkes to know that i absolutely admire and appreciate his comments here on NP (whether in agreement or not) the way he expresses his views and puts his comments makes him a true gentleman. Very helpful and useful addition to NP. Such members make NP what it is.

•••
@Bob Hawkes your posts are always insightful and well thought out, and I believe you still have a lot to offer the industry.

From meeting you at NamesCon, it’s evident that your enthusiasm for the industry is palpable.

Your commentary is always welcome

•••
Is it better to be loved, or be right? Obviously Bob is loved.

If I decided to leave NP I doubt anyone would even care, certainly there would be no long thread gushing with sentimentality for me.:xf.laugh:

I would care because your pov is insightful at times. And you make lots of valuable contributions that no one else can contribute. We'd lose knowledge and experience if u left

•••
@HotKey "I think it's totally ok to adjust our posting style towards the person we're posting to.. otherwise sometimes it can feel like we're all a product on an assembly line. We're not, we're all individuals. But adjusting ours posts to the individual, well that's a different art altogether. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. Its recognizing them that really defines us."

I have been reading all these related threads and have stayed clear posting in public, but this is one of the most insightful comments I have read in a long time........(y)

•••
I think a lot of our nature comes down to both our personality and of course experiences. Some people just need to be liked and loved .. Probably comes down to bullying and also being taken advantage of in later life.

I know I have a direct nature - to the point and but I do analyse. Its what I have been trained to do.After merchandising for thorn EMI I was sent to manage one of their failing warehouses in East London. 60 odd, East End guys who didn't like me at-all. Sure I had a couple of Supervisors and an assistant manager already on the staff. The first thing I did on arrival was close down their self created Indoor football pitch. then turn this into bays for picked-stock and returned items from the Installers. They bloody hated me, Then I told every installer all their stock would be pre-picked and signed off by numbered bay, No longer having to wait for stock checks. I then took the very and most knowledgeable installer off the road, they hated me more. But i had him managing all their route planning in the most efficient manner, (you can't rely on journey planning around London without knowing all the traffic conditions) next I allowed every installer to just leave his stock on return to an assigned bay, No checking in, they were then free to leave on full-pay no matter what time they returned. Next I instructed the 50 odd shops under our jurisdiction, they could guarantee next day delivery for every item in stock, saving hours of office booking time-slots, I insisted every damaged item had a insurance report attached saving the Company tens of thousands.and thousands. I promised next day delivery by having the ability to offer an hours extra overtime for every additional job they took, even if it was still in company time - plus with all the greater efficiencies we now had, I had dozens of spare slots.and a greater budget saved from the claimed insurance losses. Finally all the warehouse staff were super efficient because they were in control of their own internal task scheduling. Not dictated to by delivery and returns turning-up at any time of the day

Anyway the end to all this, I returned from a holiday towards the end of the first year of being in charge. Instead of being called by my first name, and occasionally having to suffer having threats to have my lights punched out. Everyone including my close associates were calling me Mr Mxxxx. The supervisors had everyone onboard with showing me greater respect, I couldn't ask for that I had to earn it - I tell you it nearly had me in tears. The only person working 12 hour days through all this was me

So sorry yes this is a bit like one of Bobs blogs - But I am a man of action, you start pulling the wool over my eyes and I will respond, and not always politely.

Hope you understand my nature - don't think I can change

•••
"Who wouldn't want want to own a dot Ninja domain" That posting brought a smile to my face and showed me why, and perhaps a few others had been on the wrong track and tact.in calling out a certain other Ntld advocate

Just to be clear, I am expressing my interest in .ninja domains as an end user, not as an investor. I enjoy using them for internal server names and personal websites as they're fun. I didn't buy them with an expectation that they would increase in value--and, as I suspected, they have not. Which is partially why they make for great end-user domains for small projects--they're cheap!

•••
@Bob Hawkes Don't ever let anyone steal your joy. Every member here has the right to post what and how they like so long as it is not intentional misinformation or against the forum rules.

This is not a nice industry overall, a lot of people who have done nothing for no one and have never made a domain sale of any consequence like to sit back and take anonymous cheap shots, they are meaningless, they don't matter.

Now one thing I don't like to see is someone considering a disagreement to be trolling or bullying, sometimes people just don't agree and that's fine. The mods did a good job of cleaning up that thread over and over. Personally I believe there should be a forum rule, if you are going to start a thread that is about your personal success you need to back it up, like many years ago all domain forums said you had to provide screenshots when you were trying to sell domains with traffic.

If (this is not directed at Bob) you are going to make claims of success then you need to be able to back that up, you cannot say you are a private person, a private person does not post anything about themselves to try to gain some sunlight on their accomplishments. You either want the attention or you don't.

Another thing that many here get wrong, A DISCUSSION THREAD does not belong to you, once you start it and someone else posts, it belongs to the community, every member that posts within the rules can post their on topic views. @Eric Lyon will confirm that.

Thank you for your contributions Bob.

Great post

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back