Uniregistry

Should there be a verification process for new NP members?

Discussion in 'NamePros Comments and Feedback' started by Daniel Owens, Jun 23, 2017.

Replies:
Views:

1. Daniel Owens

Daniel Owens Business Member Business Account VIP

Many, people signup over and over again on namepros at least it appears to be the case then bid on auctions and not pay. If, people are easily creating these alias would it make sense for namepros to maybe do something like a code has to be sent to a mobile phone then imputed in site as a verification to lower the chances of fraud. What are you guys/girls thoughts about this?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. s3odi

s3odi Faisal

Good idea .. but namepros should change their policy and get a commission fee for this process :)

3. Eric Lyon

Eric Lyon Community Admin, NamePros Administrator PRO Business Account VIP Trusted Contest Holder

Please don't make assumptions. That does not happen "over and over again" and when someone does sign up for another free account, we catch them 99% of the time before they ever make a post anywhere.

4. Daniel Owens

Daniel Owens Business Member Business Account VIP

@Eric Lyon
    Yeah, it would be cool though if it could be streamlined a bit so we or you don't have to hunt them down each time. More, of an idea to make it much harder for them to create another account which you have to close also.

5. Eric Lyon

Eric Lyon Community Admin, NamePros Administrator PRO Business Account VIP Trusted Contest Holder

This is an excellent idea. We will most likely add features like this in the future before users can use the marketplace.

Thanks for the idea,

6. Ategy.com

Ategy.com Business Member Business Account

As someone who used to run a relatively large forum many years ago let me just say it's essentially impossible to have a 100% fool-proof system. Forum software generally do have tools available to vastly limit both the number of duplicate registrations as well as automated bot/spammer registrations. Back in my forum we custom made a script that caught 95% of spambots/duplicates etc.

But these systems are not perfect .. if someone really wanted to register they certainly could if they were smart enough and try hard enough (I'm deliberately not discussing how out in the open because it would be rather counter productive .. lol).

There is always the option of being more strict and have more controls in place .. but then that comes at the cost of reduced genuine registrations and participation.

Having everyone confirm via cell/text wouldn't work because some people don't even have phones. Many others simply wouldn't join if they were forced to submit that sort of information.

A good suggestion would be to make it optional and then in auction forums have a little icon next to someone's name essentially indicating they've been "Confirmed". but it's important to note there are ways for people to cheat this too. But effectively one of the criteria you could put on your auction listings would be that people would need to have that voluntary "confirmed" status in order to make a bid. Just note that while you might be less at risk of having someone not pay ( the risk would certainly still be there, just lower), but more importantly you'd have far less people bidding on your domains and therefore end up losing money by leaving it on the table in a limited auction.

While NP might not be as fast as lightning, I think for the most part they do a pretty good job with this sort of thing. Plus I'm fairly confident in saying that the average end user isn't even aware of likely over 90% of questionable registrations that are effectively blocked. :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  7. carob

carob Active Member VIP

Great, agree 100%.

On Twitter you can see accounts that have a Verified status.

8. MasterOfMyDomains

MasterOfMyDomains Active Member VIP

It's a lot better than what it was. I think namepros has/is doing a good job keeping things in order.

9. Haris

Haris Best Domainer Of The End-Times Business Account VIP

I trust Eric, NamePros catches 99% of people who create multiple accounts, but it's just that there are too many doing this for no reason, they're not shill bidding, they're just ruining other peoples auctions by bidding everywhere with no intention to pay. Even those who have paid for business account or NamePros supporter account.

10. SellDomains.site

SellDomains.site Business Member Business Account

You are also new to this forum , @Eric already cleared this matter .

11. anony

anony Restricted

Yes I know I am New here but there are few guys they have unsolicited business here ND they are interrupting others' auctions.
    Thanks dear.

12. tldboss

tldboss Supportive Member NamePros Supporter

Maybe if you provide examples of measures that can be put in place it might help.

13. DOMAIN-BUYER

DOMAIN-BUYER Account Auto-Closed

hi @anony this issue has been resolve.

14. briguy

briguy Guru In Remission! VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

How are they interrupting business here?
    Are you being a helpful member and "reporting" your concerns (every posting has a "report" link)

15. Paul Buonopane

Paul Buonopane Tech Admin Tech Admin VIP

In theory, I like the idea of offering identity verification, but it's difficult to do in an international context, and every online service I've seen is easily tricked.

16. anony

anony Restricted

Dear problem was solved few accounts are closed, & now there is no any problem yet, I am still watching if any matter there I will report or call all of u and mr Eric Lyon.
    Thanks @ all.

17. anony

anony Restricted

Dear this is very good for new members also me.
    Thnx dear

18. Furquah

Furquah Established Member

The best solution as I thought, user should first link there PayPal account then admin grant them permission into buy sell area.

19. briguy

briguy Guru In Remission! VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

As for PayPal, not everyone one uses and or can't qualify for it.. If I understand correctly, there are a few countries that PayPal doesn't accept.

But other than that not a bad idea to look into..

20. deez007

deez007 Emancipate Yourself From Mental Slavery VIP

Hmm perhaps it could be added as an "option" as well, then when a user decides to link their Paypal account they would get a "Paypal Verified" badge or something. That might give the user a little more credibility when it comes to them buying/selling on the forum.

21. wakguano

wakguano Established Member

or just put a small green icon on top left/right corner of my 'newbie' avatar ... i would love that

22. Keral_Patel

Keral_Patel I'll do it ★★★★★★★★★★

So overall what I am seeing is history repeating itself. Where SitePoint.com was a place to go and when it became too crowded Flippa was the marketplace for SitePoint and somehow I have to tell people to remember SitePoint now?

In short what you are saying is that Namepros should move onto Commercial side of this thing rather then the discussion side of it.

I think that is a great idea but a bad idea too. Because I myself am a guy who discusses and talks and learns things from others while I am also a guy who tries to buy or sell things sometimes (Which is free for me on Namepros) Yes I am bombarded with BS from losers but then who isn't?

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!