IT.COM

discuss Should I quit my job and become a full-time Domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Azwan Asban

Top Member
Impact
Now I am working with a company lawyer as a clerk. I work for 8 hours a day like everyone else do.Worked as a clerk was tiring, boring, and I also do not like the bark by my boss. Should I quit my job and become a full time domainer? Being a successful domainer is my dream since a few years ago.If I stop working, what is the impact on my life later? Please share your thoughts and experience. I hope this thread will be able to provide useful lessons to beginner.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Instead of quit your current job,

Learn Wordpress, PHP, Web Design or seo.

Once you completed your experiment, then you can quit your job.

Then do Web development, web design, seo as freelancer and do domaining along with this work.

I manged my time for both dev & domaining equally.

Goodluck :)

•••
i know it.. but different for me. i'm not same with other peoples. I don't like work.
ROTFLMAO...
This is one of the best one liners I have read in a long ass time.

I dont think anyone here LIKES work (well... maybe if they are are playboy photographer).
Hell... I am lucky enough to have a LOT of free time on my hands when at work (I am at work now as I write this) but I still do NOT like work.
I believe I can speak for most people around where when I say that we would rather be able to enjoy the peace of waking up on our own time and doing what we want when we want to do it rather then having to go to work just to make ends meet.

Trust me when I say that YOU ARE UNIQUE, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE (which is another way of saying that you are absolutely no different then anyone else.

If you don't like where you are at... find another job but REAL chances are is that you will not make enough to support yourself by domaining alone.
Dont forget that a certain portion of any money you generate through domain names this year WILL Have to be reinvested (for lack of a better term) back into other domain names just to keep your cycle going.

If you ever owned a business, you will know that a good ratio is about 75% of your net profits need to get reinvested back into your business just to keep the doors open.
If you think you can live off of 25% of what you make in domaning in per year... then maybe you consider quitting. Until then, it would be in your best interest and everyone around you best interest for you to stay employed.

Cheers

•••
Last edited:
•••

Then do Web development, web design, seo as freelancer and do domaining along with this work.

i'm only expert on wordpress.. well its time to me to develop my skill in php ,web design and so on.

•••

Thanks so much for sharing this. I've had some very slow progress and I've decided to change
my strategy to something like this.
I am acquiring more of such skills and already offering some freelancing jobs at Fiverr.
I hope to invest a good portion of my monthly earnings in domains and become better.
With this, I won't be desperate to sell but will rather be calm in my purchasing and negotiation.

•••
Most of us see Only the successful Domainers/ Actors who are in Limelight!!
We hardly know about their Struggle / Tactics / Charisma / Skills (Marketing /Negotiation) etc..!!
We all try to escape from our monotonous/ boring lives/jobs, but ul get to know how hard to kick the current Only once dive into the water!!

All we see is the xxxx sales in DNJ, but wont bother to understand the efforts behind those sales!!

I am thankful to the Gentleman who posted about a Movie here in NP, (Glengarry Glen Ross).
That movie based on the hardship in RealEstate Biz!! Check the Sitting session in that movie!!

Take ur time bud!

Cheers!

•••
•••
ROTFLMAO...
This is one of the best one liners I have read in a long ass time.

I dont think anyone here LIKES work (well... maybe if they are are playboy photographer).
Hell... I am lucky enough to have a LOT of free time on my hands when at work (I am at work now as I write this) but I still do NOT like work.
I believe I can speak for most people around where when I say that we would rather be able to enjoy the peace of waking up on our own time and doing what we want when we want to do it rather then having to go to work just to make ends meet.

Trust me when I say that YOU ARE UNIQUE, JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE (which is another way of saying that you are absolutely no different then anyone else.

If you don't like where you are at... find another job but REAL chances are is that you will not make enough to support yourself by domaining alone.
Dont forget that a certain portion of any money you generate through domain names this year WILL Have to be reinvested (for lack of a better term) back into other domain names just to keep your cycle going.

If you ever owned a business, you will know that a good ratio is about 75% of your net profits need to get reinvested back into your business just to keep the doors open.
If you think you can live off of 25% of what you make in domaning in per year... then maybe you consider quitting. Until then, it would be in your best interest and everyone around you best interest for you to stay employed.

Cheers

well, you re the lucky one. you get a lot of free time at work. my boss like a monster, i don't have a free time at work. i've only get a rest at lunch time.

•••
well, you re the lucky one. you get a lot of free time at work. my boss like a monster, i don't have a free time at work. i've only get a rest at lunch time.

We have all been there. The last time I was there my Boss was name "US NAVY" at which point in time, I had 0 hours per day of free time.
My day consisted of this schedule:
8 hrs on watch
8 hrs on duty (normally certain jobs to do after watch... the most demeaning of which as cleaning for no real reason)
8 hrs in the rack (sleep)
24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. No time off.
We would be out to sea in that rotation about 3+/- months at a time. This was a submarine, so there was no calls to loved ones. There was no TV shows. There was no port calls.
I was under water for nearly 2 years that way.
I would assume that you at least have several hours per day that are your own.
I would also assume that you do not work all 7 days a week.

Let me put it out there like my old football coach. I have never heard it put any better then this:

Excuses are like ass holes.... We all have them and they all stink!

If you cant hack it being able to work for someone of your own free will, what do you think will happen when you MUST work for yourself as a domainer or any other business.
It is not going to be any better
You came in too late to the game.
If you were around in 93-94 time frame and had the foresight to have picked up a "premium" domain back then, You could probably be one of these big time domainers who flip their names for 6 or 7 digits.
Chances are you are NOT one of those people. You are only NOW getting into domaining and you will be hard pressed to turn a profit per year especially without any kind of work ethic.

I hope you take the time to read this entire post and understand what I am trying to convey here.
If you cant make it 8-12 hrs per day 5 days a week working for someone else... then you have no hope of making it 24 hrs a day 7 days a week working for yourself.
To work on your own you MUST be able to WORK and do the WORK required even if that means NOT having a life what so ever.

Cheers

•••
Now I am working with a company lawyer as a clerk. I work for 8 hours a day like everyone else do.Worked as a clerk was tiring, boring, and I also do not like the bark by my boss. Should I quit my job and become a full time domainer? Being a successful domainer is my dream since a few years ago.If I stop working, what is the impact on my life later? Please share your thoughts and experience. I hope this thread will be able to provide useful lessons to beginner.

if and or when, domaining income replaces 2 to 3x's your annual salary, including health benefits..... then you can consider quitting your full-time job.

cuz regular paychecks are hard to come by.

imo....

•••
Most of us see Only the successful Domainers/ Actors who are in Limelight!!
We hardly know about their Struggle / Tactics / Charisma / Skills (Marketing /Negotiation) etc..!!
We all try to escape from our monotonous/ boring lives/jobs, but ul get to know how hard to kick the current Only once dive into the water!!

All we see is the xxxx sales in DNJ, but wont bother to understand the efforts behind those sales!!

I am thankful to the Gentleman who posted about a Movie here in NP, (Glengarry Glen Ross).
That movie based on the hardship in RealEstate Biz!! Check the Sitting session in that movie!!

Take ur time bud!

Cheers!

thanks 4 sharing this film.

"Those who must rely on their wits to
make a living are often prone to
desperate measures born of the
insecurities inherent in their field of
endeavor-- a straight commission
salesman, for example; or in this
instance, a real estate salesman, in
particular."

•••
so after 20minute ago @ChubbyDfat n @biggie posts, done sold my third domain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow.. after i've done send a 300 email to end user in 4 days only the buyers accept my final price. not to be promote here, but i'm so excited about it. my first sales to end user.

--this thread so special to me--

Last edited:
•••
so after 20minute ago @ChubbyDfat n @biggie posts, done sold my third domain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow.. after i've done send a 300 email to end user in 4 days only the buyers accept my final price. not to be promote here, but i'm so excited about it.

I think something was lost in translation here.
Assuming that I understand you correctly, you made your 3rd sale and took you 4 days to do it?
Congratulations on the possible sale. (I say possible because until the funds how up, its not a finished sale yet).
Also (if I understand you correctly), due to the sale stipulations, you are unable to disclose the sale name or the amount (not to be promote here)?
I have always wondered about those types of sales. Every sale I have ever had, never cared and would rather have the short lived spike in curious look ups and also sets a precedent in possible name value (maybe+/-).

At the end of the day, it seems that you have been able to make at least 3 sales while working your present job regardless of the fact that you work for a boss and have also found the time to respond to many of the posts written here today/yesterday.

Sounds to me like you are already in your happy place and that you are actually able to function even given the confines of your current job. On the contrary to what you eluded to in some of your prior posts (and if I take you at your word), then you are functioning fine being gainfully employed and working as a domainer.

You asked for opinions on "IF" you should quit. My opinion is "NO". Even though you have made 3 sales already... a portion of that $$$ MUST be reinvested back into more names (about 75%) leaving you about 25% to live off of.
If you indeed made 3 sales, then you need to do some math. Subtract what you paid for the names from what you sold the names for. Then subtract the $$$ that you need to pay for new names to replace those that you just sold and that will be your profit margin.
If it took you 1 month to make those 3 sales, then it would be a reasonable assessment that you can multiply that profit margin by 12 and that would be your yearly take home pay.
Of course that is assuming that you can duplicate exactly what you have done with the first three names 12 more times.

If you are better then 90%+/- of the other people who work in/with domains and are not only able to pull a profit but do so in such large quantities that you could (honestly) justify quitting your job, then you should not be posting here asking the question.

Cheers

•••
wow.. after i've done send a 300 email to end user in 4 days only the buyers accept my final price. not to be promote here, but i'm so excited about it. my first sales to end user.

I am curious to know. What do you send in emails when contacting end users?

•••
Congratulations on the possible sale. (I say possible because until the funds how up, its not a finished sale yet).
Also (if I understand you correctly), due to the sale stipulations, you are unable to disclose the sale name or the amount (not to be promote here)?

Cheers

---- $800

Last edited:
•••
vrgps.com $800

Grats...

Lets do some math.
What did you pay for the name when you originally purchased it?
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you will tell me that you hand regged it back in December (that would be the best possible scenario here).
If my guess is correct then you have (effectively) made 100% PROFIT (disregarding the initial reg price and since it has only been registered since December... there has been no renewals).
So now, you will need to buy another name that would give you an equal (if not greater) sales price for the future. To do that you will need to reinvest about 75% of your $800 (in other words $600) in a new domain name(s), that could be reasonably be sold withing a small given window.
This leaves you $200 for the time and effort that you put into making your sale.
If it took you 4 days to make that sale and *IF* you where able to duplicate that same effort time and again (and that is a BIG IF), then per month, you can expect to make around $1,550 (take home) after reinvesting in new domain names.

I dont know what you make now or how much effort and time you have put into selling your domain(s), but I could barely even afford to put a roof over my head for that. I would not be able to afford to eat, or pay bills.
It could be completely different where you live...

And all of this is hypothetical as I am sure anyone here will tell you that its highly unlikely that you will be able to turn out a sale every 4 days at the same rate.

Cheers

•••
I am curious to know. What do you send in emails when contacting end users?

i'm only copy all email template end user i found from google. i means just googling the keyword "how to sell domain to end user" ..
credit to robsequin.com(your email template is the best FOREVER)

Last edited:
•••
Grats...

Lets do some math.
What did you pay for the name when you originally purchased it?
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you will tell me that you hand regged it back in December (that would be the best possible scenario here).
If my guess is correct then you have (effectively) made 100% PROFIT (disregarding the initial reg price and since it has only been registered since December... there has been no renewals).

Cheers

just handreg.. register on dec 2014. its vr domain. so who owns vr domain, please write an email to end user. i'm are in happy mood now. so existing.. 3 hours more to going work place.

•••
just handreg.. register on dec 2014. its vr domain. so who owns vr domain, please write an email to end user. i'm are in happy mood now. so existing.. 3 hours more to going work place.

Good for you! Keep this up for another couple of months and the same people that were telling you not to do this will be asking you for advice on how to sell their domains. :D

•••
•••
•••
•••
Can you explain this further. I am also from India and would like to know better.
Thanks
I had invested a large amount on domain names, which were monetized selling text link advertising. However, powerful companies and officials were not willing to acknowledge that I had invested a large amount and had many years experience, and my business was legitimate . Large companies, allegedly google, tata, paypal, others and private sector banks falsely alleged that my business was illegal without any proof, to destroy competition, acquire talent and technology cheaply

Then powerful officials were allowed to waste infinite indian tax payer money to sexually harass, cheat and exploit me trying to find non existent proof to support their defamatory allegation against me. They rewarded everyone who made false allegation with my hard earned money which they terrorized me to give. Not satisfied they have stolen my retirement savings of twenty years , to blackmail me to give up my prestigious engineering degree, experience for their lazy cheater greedy friends , waste my time and money searching for my hard earned money.
After stealing my hard earned money, these dishonest powerful officials have also rewarded everyone who has cheated, defamed, exploited and harassed me with important government jobs with salaries, pension falsely claiming that these mediocre frauds have my experience, engineering degree, investment, work ethic, skills .
Due to the scam and the surveillance I am subjected to , allegedly an inexperienced greedy cheater diploma holder from goa siddhi mandrekar who commited corporate espionage, instead of being punished, has got an important government job, falsely claiming that the fraud has my experience, degree, skills, investment when I would like to file a case against her for fraud. Her powerful cunning fraud friends and relatives also falsely claim that the cheater siddhi owns my business to defame me professionally and socially , when she does not spend any money or do any work to get the greedy cruel fraud siddhi lucrative assignment and great powers at my expense, while I have got nothing except paying the bills

bangalore cybercrime has refused to take any action against the mediocre cheater housewife nayanshree hathwar, wife of guruprasad hathwar, who has cheated me of more than Rs 1.1 lakh, as she has powerful friends and relatives who can waste indian tax payer money to protect her., sexually harass, cheat and exploit me, allegedly falsely claiming that she was their engineering college classmate, when nayanshree would never got admission to iit and has no engineering qualification or experience. Why does the ruthless cheater nayanshree get fake references of an engineering degree, government job, for cheating a single woman engineer and domain investor under section 420 . her bank details are available

Another powerful official J allegedly falsely claimed that the lazy cunning bsc slim sunaina he was infatuated with, was the domain investor who had spent a large amount on domain names to get her an important permanent government job at my expense, when actually his darling sunaina has not spent a single paisa on domain names, This official has been allegedly hacking my laptop, making and circulating defamatory videos to ruin my reputation, wasting indian tax payer money, so that his lazy fraud friend sunaina can be promoted at my expense. photos of siddhi and sunaina can be provided

There are other women like stock broker asmita patel, veena, ruchika who have also allegedly got government jobs at my expense, without spending any money, due to false claims of dishonest cruel powerful officials in the indian internet sector who hate me, yet cunningly have faked concern to misuse my name . Now these cunning cowardly fraud officials, who will never have the courage to face me to justify the atrocities they commit daily, try to terrorize and defame me as a uneducated fool, abusing their powers, trying to steal my resume for their good looking greedy cheater friends who have become rich and powerful at my expense.

Today my correspondence emails, phone calls,smses, postal mails are diverted through the frauds and their associates, who then demand a bribe or steal mail as convenient, making it very difficult to earn a living . even companies who wish to work with me as an experienced engineer are misguided by these powerful officials , falsely told that bsc sunaina, fraud diploma holder siddhi, cheater housewife nayanshree have my experience so that I am denied the opportunities I deserved

Thus I am left to pay all the huge bills for renewal of the domain names, with almost nothing for living expense, while all the mediocre greedy lazy cruel frauds who cheated me have got lucrative government jobs with salary and pension for doing nothing, not spending a single paisa online, because their powerful cruel fraud friends and relatives have ruthlessly cheated, defamed and exploited me , a harmless vulnerable single woman engineer, domain investor . I am subjected to human rights abuses daily with the most sophisticated non contact weapons in India out of hatred , causing great pain, making it difficult to hire an office or even use the computer during the day,

My retirement savings of twenty years, including my salary at the largest engineering company in India have been stolen without a court order or valid reason by dishonest greedy officials who get a good government salary and filing an RTI request has not helped. Thus a domain investor in india will be denied the fundamental right to earn a living and also the right to control his or her hard earned money and subjected to the most terrible human rights abuses causing great pain. Though I use the internet very little,usually less than 2GB a month, they claim that my internet usage is the excuse to steal my retirement savings, and resume for their fraud lazy friends and deny me information and opportunities I deserved. The internet usage has been used to track and attack me with the most sophisticated weapons in the country.

As I do not have access to my retirement savings of twenty years, I cannot exit easily, at a great loss. Trying very hard to get rid of my portfolio and also trace my hard earned money contacting anyone who can help. The spineless cowardly officials in india will never have the honesty or courage to justify their fraud and human rights abuses of a harmless innocent civilian domain investor in an open debate, yet waste tax payer money tracking me so that their great fraud will not get exposed . Thus powerful officials in india may have studied in top colleges, working in the largest companies which pay lip service to corporate ethics, have a high status in indian society, yet they are completely devoid of morals , honesty or humanity as ruthlessly cheat, defame and exploit a vulnerable single woman engineer to make their mediocre lazy cheater friends and relatives rich and powerful overnight at the expense of the domain investor and engineer.

Most people offline are stunned at my tragic story , but the most powerful officials in the indian internet sector are like cruel animals stealing my retirement savings of twenty years and also my resume which I have worked for, for their lazy greedy cheater cruel friends like siddhi, sunaina, nayanshree, asmita patel and others, to deny me the opportunities I deserved as they have been bribed by the ruthless largest companies in the indian internet sector to waste indian tax payer money to destroy my life, Why are the powerful men so shameless, dishonest and cruel that they falsely claim that their good looking fraud friends and relatives own my domain names to defame me socially and professionally ,when these greedy cunning friends do not spend a single penny on the domain names?

I hope the moderator of the forum does not delete the post as these powerful officials do not want the world to know how dishonestly, shamelessly, greedily and cruelly they have behaved. proof can be provided for many of the claims if required.

•••
I agree....
the OP is just marking us all as fools for posting in his thread.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back