IT.COM

Shane Bellone Thinks It's Ok To Bypass Broker.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi

I sent two LLL.com domains which I was brokering to Shane Bellone in response to his thread in Domains Wanted.

He replied to me first about dropping the price.

I asked how much is his client's highest offer . To which he said how many months finance would be agreeable.

I told him owners won't agree to financing options.

He then asked me why I messaged him in the first place as his requirement was related to financing the domain and he will contact the owners now to see if they will agree.

I apologized to him for missing the financing part and asked when did it become a good business practice to bypass brokers and contact the owners directly.

His reply was " My business is to get the best price for myself and my clients. Bypassing a broker who may or may not have an exclusive contract makes sense. Saves them a commission which therefore saves me or my client money."

I am attaching the link to the screenshot as well.

imgur. com/a/l4VDz
I think it's totally unethical to bypass a broker . What are your thoughts on this?
l4VDz

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I expect you to BIN all your domains from the websites that list them. No more utilizing their filters then backdooring them. Hypocrite.

Keep your suggestion to yourself.
Looking the way you are doing business, *Hypocrite* suits you better.

•••
•••
Keep your suggestion to yourself.
Looking the way you are doing business, *Hypocrite* suits you better.

Seems money comes first for you than ethics. Well done!

You do the same thing with any of the big players in this industry. You utilize their platforms to search for domains to buy via email. Sitting here and telling me I'm unethical but you aren't is absurd.

•••
You do the same thing with any of the big players in this industry. You utilize their platforms to search for domains to buy via email. Sitting here and telling me I'm unethical but you aren't is absurd.

Comparing platforms like Sedo/Afternic and others with brokers like you have huge difference.

•••
•••
•••
•••
It's hilarious that this is even an argument.

@talhahassan - Shane has no obligation to you, and what's more you were ill-prepared to negotiate or sell, having ignored/missed his request. If you want to be the sole point of contact for these names, have your client sign a contract.

You should only be angry at yourself.

•••
@talhahassan let's talk about ethics huh lol

You contact me on a LLL you want to sell to me I tell you I'll only try and sell it if your the EXCLUSIVE BROKER. you tell me you are. So I contact a connection of mine to pitch the domain. Turns out they where the exclusive broker and had no idea who you where. I felt like a idiot!!!!!!! But makes me wonder did you try to go around the exclusive broker.

I have you blocked because of this

•••
@talhahassan thats funny what imadoer just said.
Don't do unto others what you would not want others to do to you. And you do anyways.
Make sure you read an entire post before replying, I saw his post yesterday and it clearly said payments.
99% of the people here are skidmark, whiny losers. Shane is in the 1% bracket
Just another reason to not do business on namepros

•••
@talhahassan - Shane has no obligation to you, and what's more you were ill-prepared to negotiate or sell, having ignored/missed his request. If you want to be the sole point of contact for these names, have your client sign a contract...
As abrasive as Shane can be, I'm afraid Joeguy has summed it up pretty well in this post.

Last edited:
•••
•••
In the end it's about business. If ether party finds a way to save themselves 15% on a sale, it will be done.
That's the business world.
What @Shane Bellone did is no different than someone doing a whois for someone that has a domain on godaddy and offering 20% less to go through escrow, cutting out godaddy commission.

It's not personal, it's business.

•••
if/when the broker is exclusive, then they can't be bypassed, because the seller only negotiates thru them.

anytime someone says they are brokering, i will check with owner if interested in the name or, sometimes just to verify they have permission from the owner or that the owner is aware that they are soliciting the sale of that name.

why?

cuz there are a lot of wanna bee's and perpetrators and folks trying to "come-up" off other peoples names without their prior consent.

now, the OP here, should have "carefully" read the criteria of the domains wanted thread in question.

i read it before reading this thread and noticed the word "finance", so to me, that meant he was looking for "a lease or rent to own type of deal.

had the criteria been read in full, then this thread wouldn't have been posted.

still, if the conversation was via pm, then it should have stayed private, unless there was an agreement that didn't materialize because one of the parties backed out.

imo....

•••
As a general rule of thumb, I would suggest reaching out to the domain owner to verify that the person is even authorized to sell their domain when a "broker" brings you a deal. Too many shady people in this industry claim to be brokering a domain that they have no right to sell, and if they find a buyer then the "broker" reaches out to the owner offering to put together a deal for a commission.

Second, in my opinion if you don't have an exclusive contract (and in this case it sounds like you don't have any contract at all - and maybe not even permission) I don't see how you can call yourself the broker. I think it is pretty crazy to spend your time trying to sell a domain and have no protection to ensure you get paid for your efforts, and others might be trying to sell it as well including the owner himself. That's just begging for a messy situation.

In this particular situation I would say that if Shane immediately tried to do an end run around you that would be a little shady. But it sounds like he tried to engage with you, by your own admission he asked you for financing terms so that means he was ready to work with you. But once he determined you were wasting his time he wanted to see if he could get a deal done directly without all the shenanigans.

For all he knows you didn't even ask your "client" if he would consider financing in this case, and honestly he doesn't even know if you actually have a right to represent the domains.

Seems like he's doing his due diligence more than trying to screw you over, and that this situation is more a result of your own mistakes (no exclusive, not reading the buy request carefully, potentially not asking the owner if he would finance, etc.).

Always nice when someone posts your private conversations publicly though.

Last edited:
•••
I can understand the OP's frustrations but in truth I don't see Shane did anything wrong.
You had no exclusive brokers agreement in place (and worse still misread his wanted thread.)

IMHO he had no obligation to go direct through you.

I personally just had the pleasurable experience of someone trying to sell one of my premium domains to the owner of the .net (who happens to be a good friend of mine) with no permission at all (I don't know who this idiot is but I warned him never to do this again). There are so many scumbags in this industry that I can't blame anyone going direct to the owner, if nothing else to verify the broker is not playing games.

•••
Always get a brokerage agreement, also make owners put domains on privacy as well. So you don't have to go thru things like this. This is where most brokers fail they just talk to a owner and ask them a price and just start pitching it

•••
In the end it's about business. If ether party finds a way to save themselves 15% on a sale, it will be done.
That's the business world.
What @Shane Bellone did is no different than someone doing a whois for someone that has a domain on godaddy and offering 20% less to go through escrow, cutting out godaddy commission.

It's not personal, it's business.

That's why we are taught business ethics before someone starts doing any business. And that seems to be missing here...

Last edited:
•••
Your private business is private. What were you trying to achieve by posting here?

Whatever your thoughts, you shouldn't have posted publicly. You've risked losing a relationship that might have been salvaged in the future.

I tried to build a relationship with someone here once, for whatever reason they turned nasty and then finally posted a private message between us on the board here too. Result? They didn't win anything, and in fact lost a potential business relationship that could have been good.

You should never close a door on a potential business relationship, you never know what might happen in the future.

I hope you both ask for the thread to be closed or at least stop replying and move on. Good luck to you both!

•••
•••
When a broker tries to steal the lead from another broker, its very unethical and bad for the business.

•••
That's why we are taught business ethics before someone starts doing any business. And that seems to be missing here...

The code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner

•••
•••
It may be unethical, but it's smart business.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't try to circumvent a marketplace and deal directly with the buyer to earn an extra 15-20% if it were possible without repercussions. That's just simple math. That's just smart business. This is the same principle.

In business, you're either the shark or the prey, as long as everything is legal. Learn from your mistake and become a better businessperson. Thank Shane for the free lesson. MBA's have to go to school for years to learn these things. :xf.cool:

•••
Did someone read correctly what OP said in his initial post? Let me paste it below:

Bypassing a broker who may or may not have an exclusive contract makes sense.

Really? Even if I have an exclusive contact with some broker and I still end up selling that particular domain through some other channel!! That's just disgusting. A clear cut thinking of greedy mind who is just running after money blindly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back