Dynadot

Fake Broker Alert: Ance Methew (if that's his real name)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bram C.

AlmightyDomains.com + HeroForYou.comTop Member
Impact
I got the following email today:

Date: 24/05/2016 16:26:53
Subject: Re: domainname (.)com
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hello,I am a Domain Names Broker and we are currently brokering the premium domain domainname.com, and based on our research we believe that you guys might see value in acquiring this name.Please let me know.

Regards,

Name

The domain name that "Ance Methew" (doubtful that this is his real name) is brokering is my own domain name. I did not give him permission to broker my domain name.

The domain is currently listed on Namejet so he probably saw my domain there and tried to contact potential buyers, pretending to be brokering this domain, in order to sell this domain before he owns it and then use some of the profits of that sale to purchase the domain on NameJet afterwards and give it to his buyer. Funny thing is, his research obviously sucked because one of the "potential" buyers he contacted is me, the owner of the domain.

If he's a real broker and that's his real name (doubt it) then I advice you to never do business with him.

Edit: I also like how he puts "RE:" in that subject line as if there was an email prior to this one.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well why don't you play with him, he would need to move the domain before he would get paid, so let him know you will take it for 100,000, and see how he reacts.

•••
Well why don't you play with him, he would need to move the domain before he would get paid, so let him know you will take it for 100,000, and see how he reacts.

Yeah I was thinking about that.

Instead I just answered his email like this:

The domain is already mine and I didn't give you any permission to broker it.
Sounds like a nice namepros.com thread coming up...

The main issue I have with morally challenged people like these is that they are destroying potential leads/sales for the actual domain owners.

•••
Yeah I was thinking about that.

Instead I just answered his email like this:

The main issue I have with morally challenged people like these is that they are destroying potential leads/sales for the actual domain owners.

Yes, for the past few years they have been annoying real end users to the point they just close the door on all emails of this sort now. Unless you are in the business it is hard to distinguish against what is what.

The fact this is a solid industry domain name, it is quite damaging, and slanderous to see it proactively shopped as you are desperate to sell it. If this person was in a legality of prosecution I would assume you would have a case for damages.

•••
He might be generating more interest in your domain )
Just forward it to the auction page and any potential buyer can type in and see that they can just bid on it )

•••
Just forward it to the auction page and any potential buyer can type in and see that they can just bid on it )
I have thought of this scenario, but the issue is the emailer is the first point of contact, they are more likely to talk to him, than go thru the whole namejet process, but it could go either way as you have pointed out. Most likely the fake will screw up the deal, and any potential party will see the name associated with red flags.

•••
Good idea, I'll redirect the domain to the auction page.

•••
I have thought of this scenario, but the issue is the emailer is the first point of contact, they are more likely to talk to him, than go thru the whole namejet process, but it could go either way as you have pointed out. Most likely the fake will screw up the deal, and any potential party will see the name associated with red flags.

The worst that can happen to a great name at an auction is that nobody would notice. Any additional interest is welcome. Probably those potential end users would not have found out about the auction anyway. So there could be more upside to it. Regardless, at this stage, at least it helps with damage control )

•••
lol ...ha ha funny thing is he contact you for re-brokering .however we need to be careful for this type of fake brokers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back