NameSilo

Broker Scam

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Please be careful fellow Domainers:

A week ago new user: domainsain posted a .net domain for sale at NP (the thread is gone now, so I won't say which domain it was).

I pmed him asking about the reserve price, and he gave me an $x.xxx BIN price, I told him I will not be interested for this price, and a couple days later he contacted me again saying he'd be looking for $xxx offers now. So I did my due research and found out the domain is owned by Eric from nameshopping, so I contacted Eric via email asking if it is him offering the name for sale and he replied back that he didn't made the post but it is someone brokering his domains for him so it is fine.

So a bit later I submitted an offer to the broker and we agreed on a price not far from my initial offer.

A few hours later after I had send the payment via gift payment (broker said he can accept gift payments only and not masspay - hint: gift payments can not be disputed at PP) I checked back in at NP and wanted to contact the broker but at that moment he was banned already so I contacted Eric asking what is going on.

It was then found out that the guy is a scammer.

And now Eric has found out that it was not his broker but someone working for his broker that were handling all the negotiations with me and possibly also with other NP members (most likely).

He also offered me more domains in the low - mid $xxx range a piece (bulk discounts, for more then 10 domains, claiming Eric wants to sell them asap) but I told him I will only decide on picking them up as soon as I have received the .net domain (lucky me) I could have lost a few thousand in this deal because I saw at least 20 domains I would have bought upon doing some more research and I was 100% sure the broker was legit.

So please be careful, there might be more scams of this sort with variations.

The Scammer used this Paypal ID for receiving my payment: ContentConnections@hotmail(.)co.uk

BTW Eric has refunded me the payed amount, he is a great guy and successful in the trade for a reason - he didn't need to do it but he wanted to, I highly appreciate it. Thank you!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Oh yes, I inquired to this DOMAINSAIN about some domains and he sent me a list, I should still have the link in PM which I was too busy to even look @ and he pm'ed me back about 3 or 4 times like "Have you looked @ the xxx priced domains yet?" I finally responded back that I am not interested and that was that, but sheesh Toni be more careful man!
You are a nice guy, maybe too nice sometimes thats why this happens to you!! Sucks for this type of stunts to be happening here :\

•••
Toni,

glad to hear you got your money back.

I've made payments before thru "gift cards" because of the seller not wanting direct PayPal payments for one reason or another, but I guess I have been lucky so far - whew.

Thank you for the heads up. :)

Scammers SUCK!

Vito

•••
BTW Eric has refunded me the payed amount, he is a great guy and successful in the trade for a reason - he didn't need to do it but he wanted to, I highly appreciate it. Thank you!

To be honest since he vouched for the broker and made him an agent he is responsible to refund you.

•••
Please be careful fellow Domainers:

A week ago new user: domainsain posted a .net domain for sale at NP (the thread is gone now, so I won't say which domain it was).

I pmed him asking about the reserve price, and he gave me an $x.xxx BIN price, I told him I will not be interested for this price, and a couple days later he contacted me again saying he'd be looking for $xxx offers now. So I did my due research and found out the domain is owned by Eric from nameshopping, so I contacted Eric via email asking if it is him offering the name for sale and he replied back that he didn't made the post but it is someone brokering his domains for him so it is fine.

So a bit later I submitted an offer to the broker and we agreed on a price not far from my initial offer.

A few hours later after I had send the payment via gift payment (broker said he can accept gift payments only and not masspay - hint: gift payments can not be disputed at PP) I checked back in at NP and wanted to contact the broker but at that moment he was banned already so I contacted Eric asking what is going on.

It was then found out that the guy is a scammer.

And now Eric has found out that it was not his broker but someone working for his broker that were handling all the negotiations with me and possibly also with other NP members (most likely).

He also offered me more domains in the low - mid $xxx range a piece (bulk discounts, for more then 10 domains, claiming Eric wants to sell them asap) but I told him I will only decide on picking them up as soon as I have received the .net domain (lucky me) I could have lost a few thousand in this deal because I saw at least 20 domains I would have bought upon doing some more research and I was 100% sure the broker was legit.

So please be careful, there might be more scams of this sort with variations.

The Scammer used this Paypal ID for receiving my payment: ContentConnections@hotmail(.)co.uk

Toni, sorry to hear it

I created here almost the same thread few days ago - domain was bookie.net. In my case - domainsain offered me the name on $200 BIN :). I also contacted Eric before sending payment. I didn't send payment.

Finally Eric replied in my thread.

Now the thread was deleted cause everything was cleared.

BTW I saw another sale thread of domainsain and he was selling other name (not Eric's and I think not owned by him also).

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back