IT.COM

Several Domains in the Web Design Community Stolen

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Not sure if you guys have heard, but several domains in the web design community, including css-tricks.com and sohtanaka.com, have been stolen from their owners. All the the domain owners had their email accounts hacked in addition to having their domains stolen, and the domains were transferred to a Planet Domain account. Some of them have received en email asking for money for the return of their domains. Apparently, the passwords to their registrar accounts weren't changed, so I'm guessing they used the password hint feature (at least at GoDaddy) to gain access.

Here's the domains that were stolen:

davidairey.com - Resolved
css-tricks.com - Unresolved Originally at GoDaddy - Bad Guy moved to PlanetDomain
davidwalsh.name - Unresolved Originally at GoDaddy - Bad Guy moved to Name.com then to 1and1
scriptandstyle.com - Unresolved Originally at GoDaddy - Bad Guy moved to PlanetDomain
sohtanaka.com - Unresolved Originally at 1and1 - Bad Guy moved to PlanetDomain
designshack.net - Unresolved
instantshift.com - Unresolved Originally at GoDaddy - Bad Guy moved to PlanetDomain
kirupa.com - Unresolved Originally on NetworkSolutions - Bad Guy moved to PlanetDomain
shiachat.com - Unresolved
abduzeedo.com - Was able to stop domain transfer before it happened, but all signs indicate the same hacker tried to steal it

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow, kirupa.com too? That's pretty crazy. Hopefully they all can get them back.

•••
What are the chances to guess the hint feature? Use a robot and you still have little chance.

Anyway, that seems like a big hit. I am sorry for this, as I was subscribed to some of those blogs.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back