Dynadot

advice Selling strategy

NameSilo
Watch

zac3366

Established Member
Impact
We were recently contacted by someone from Ename ("The #1 domain name marketplace in China"), asking for a client if we would like to sell a domain. At first the client's budget was $5,000. Now, after a few days and with no hard negotiations, their budget has gone up to $30,000. Me and my partners feel this domain name could be worth a lot more for the right buyer. We don't know who the buyer is, but one of the largest online companies in China has a brand/product that matches the .com domain name.

We think this might a real opportunity for us that we would like to explore. We don't have much experience when it comes to selling domains. The question is, what to we do next?
  1. Ask who the buyer is to be able to negotiate better?
  2. Set a high fixed price and see what they say?
  3. Start an auction and contact the companies we think might be interested in the domain name?
  4. Hire someone professional to negotiate the sale for us?
  5. Something else?
Any advice is welcome :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The question is, what to we do next?
Hi

why not just ask for amount you want, to replace the domain from your portfolio?

imo....

•••
It depends what your end goal is and how much you need the money. If you are independently wealthy so be it. You can hold that name for as long as you like. But if you are being offered something reasonable I'd work out a sale. Domaining is often referred to as a 1 percent business, meaning that professional domainers sell one percent of there inventory a year if they are doing well.

•••
Is the domain .com or not ?

Is the domain is one keyword ?

Is the domain meaningless brandable or contain dictionary keywords ?

Is the domain valuable for Chinese people only or can be for any population ?

is the domain taken in any other extensions or
not ? If yes , taken in how many extension ?

Is it pronounceable domain or not ?

How many characters the domain ?

how many millions are the exact match results when you search it in google ?

What’s the age of this domain ?

Since how long you owned this domain and since then have you got offers from others ?

Based on what you And your partners feel this domain name could be worth a lot more for the right buyer ?

Last edited:
•••
Set a price that you are happy with and that is within the range of what similar names have sold for. I've never understood people who price their domains based on who is buying.

•••
Thanks,

I guess, if you want to maximize the profit it depends on how much the domain is worth för the buyer. icloud.com is worth much more to Apple than to most/all other companies.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for your response.

It’s a six letter .com domain, made of two three letter English dictionary keywords. Very pronouncable. I own the same name with twelve other domain extensions, among them .net, .org and .us.

I bought the domain 12 years ago and have been approched to sell it like once a year since then, but I haven’t gotten any substancial offers until now.

•••
Your first question was who is the potential buyer. That's a great question, and sadly one that tends to remain hidden when an intermediary is involved. You could always ask, but don't be surprised if the answer is that they can't disclose that.

•••
Thanks for your response.

It’s a six letter .com domain, made of two three letter English dictionary keywords. Very pronouncable. I own the same name with twelve other domain extensions, among them .net, .org and .us.

I bought the domain 12 years ago and have been approched to sell it like once a year since then, but I haven’t gotten any substancial offers until now.

if you own the other 11 extensions , that means you locked this domain very well ! you are in strong position since you kept no other chance for them ( buyers ) to find alternative !
you can raise the price to 50k by offering them the ( .net .org .us ) all added as a full package . with the ( .com )

Last edited:
•••
if you own the other 11 extensions , that means you locked this domain very well ! you are in strong position since you kept no other chance for them ( buyers ) to find alternative !
Aren't there approximately 1500 extensions in the TLDs? Just wondering about the other 1489+ options.....

Last edited:
•••
No way to know without knowing the name. With other extensions in your possession I would ask for what I really want. Next they will be hitting you up for an alt extension 😂

•••
Aren't there approximately 1500 extensions in the TLDs? Just wondering about the other 1490+ options.....
i believe he locked the most popular 11 extensions . the rest of extensions all not common to be used for big reputable companies .
and since he locked them since 12 years , i am sure the .xyz is not with swetha :ROFL:

•••

Last edited:
•••
We don't know who the buyer is, but one of the largest online companies in China has a brand/product that matches the .com domain name.
Have you researched any potential Chinese trademark issues?
We think this might a real opportunity for us that we would like to explore. We don't have much experience when it comes to selling domains. The question is, what to we do next?
Another point to consider is whether culturally there is a different way to deal with negotiations with a company in China? A domain broker, with experience with this type of sale, may be helpful.

•••
I guess, if you want to maximize the profit it depends on how much the domain is worth för the buyer.
Hi

if, you let buyer decide it's worth, do you think you will get the maximum profit?

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Have you researched any potential Chinese trademark issues?

Another point to consider is whether culturally there is a different way to deal with negotiations with a company in China? A domain broker, with experience with this type of sale, may be helpful.
I have not done much research. What are you thinking of, more specifically?

Good point regarding culture. The domain broker that represents the client seems very "international" and informal in the communication we've had so far, but that could be an important point. Especially if it comes to talking directly to the buyer.

•••
Your first question was who is the potential buyer. That's a great question, and sadly one that tends to remain hidden when an intermediary is involved. You could always ask, but don't be surprised if the answer is that they can't disclose that.
It depends what your end goal is and how much you need the money. If you are independently wealthy so be it. You can hold that name for as long as you like. But if you are being offered something reasonable I'd work out a sale. Domaining is often referred to as a 1 percent business, meaning that professional domainers sell one percent of there inventory a year if they are doing well.
Thanks for your response!

I'm not independently wealthy :) But I don't want to sell it for what they are currently offering. And like I said, I see a great potential here to make a really good profit that would make a significant difference to me and my business. I am not a professional domainer, I just happen to own a few domains for projects I am working on or once planned to work on :)

•••
you can raise the price to 50k by offering them the ( .net .org .us ) all added as a full package . with the ( .com )

Sounds like a plan :)

•••
Hi

if, you let buyer decide it's worth, do you think you will get the maximum profit?

imo...
My post was an answer to "ask for the price that you want". Even though I am willing to sell at a specific price, I might be able to get much more from the right buyer. I didn't mean to let the buyer decide the price, but rather for me to negotiate the highest price a particular buyer can accept. Or at least in the same ballpark :)

•••
Would it be considered unprofessional to start an online auction where I invite the current buyer and others that I think might be interested? And would it be fruitful?

Last edited:
•••
•••
You risk losing the buyer all together if you pull the old online auction routine. However you decide to go good luck with things!

•••
You risk losing the buyer all together if you pull the old online auction routine. However you decide to go good luck with things!
Thanks for your input!

•••
If this company in China has a trademark there, does that create any potential UDRP claim on the domain?

This may not matter, if they are willing to simply buy the domain from you at this point regardless. I don't know i this could become an issue, if you increase the price and there are some trademark or other potential claim concerns.
Not that it is essential to do in this case, but did you check to see if they have a Chinese or American trademark?

•••
If this company in China has a trademark there, does that create any potential UDRP claim on the domain?

This may not matter, if they are willing to simply buy the domain from you at this point regardless. I don't know i this could become an issue, if you increase the price and there are some trademark or other potential claim concerns.
Not that it is essential to do in this case, but did you check to see if they have a Chinese or American trademark?
Not yet, but I will consider looking into it. Thanks for your input!

•••
Back