Selling domains

Discussion in 'Domain Beginners' started by slkn, Dec 26, 2017.

Replies:
Views:

1. slkn

slkn Business Member Business Account

Hello Domainers,

Some questions about selling domains:

1. Whats the best platform where investors would pay more / high end users? Are GoDaddy and Namejet for cheappy users vs Sedo, Flippa, Afternic to get higher profits (buyers willing to pay more)?

2. What platform related to what domainers? Sedo to European, GoDaddy to North America, Afternic, Flippa?? What about Spanish domainers platform, where to find these buyers?

3. How do you select and approach target buyers (outbound)? Linkedin, forums, expos? Or landing page, links, domainer profile, ads (inbound) ?

4. When Paypal or Escrow transfer fees, it is fair to split bwt buyer and seller (example at 3%, so 1.5 each) ?

5. Efty is used as a sales landing page builder. Is is efficient enough? Does it make the domain more credible or sense of responsible ownership vs parking ads? If so, what tool you recommend for sales page?

Thank you all for your advice!

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. DomaHub

DomaHub Established Member

3. omelet

omelet Active Member VIP

Please see my answer in red

Some questions about selling domains:

1. Whats the best platform where investors would pay more / high end users? Are GoDaddy and Namejet for cheappy users vs Sedo, Flippa, Afternic to get higher profits (buyers willing to pay more)?

It all depends on the quality of names. Don't make it wrong, it's really not about platform, it is always about the name.

better name means better potential, be more patient, offer potential buyers convenient and reliable way to pay.

2. What platform related to what domainers? Sedo to European, GoDaddy to North America, Afternic, Flippa?? What about Spanish domainers platform, where to find these buyers?

everyone can access to any platform, and these platform would become more and more indifferent..

For example, I m from Canada, but I used t purchased and sell names at sedo. However, I never successfully sold a name at godaddy.

3. How do you select and approach target buyers (outbound)? Linkedin, forums, expos? Or landing page, links, domainer profile, ads (inbound) ?

always consider quality of the name first, know its potential for now, and in 2 yrs, 3 yrs, and 5 yrs.

platform can be important, but also can be nothing important

for great branding, create nice landing page to tell people the value; Out reach is about to do sufficient research...but mostly, it's about the patient.

4. When Paypal or Escrow transfer fees, it is fair to split bwt buyer and seller (example at 3%, so 1.5 each) ?

it's all up to you and the other part. if you have better bargin power, you can ask the other part to pay all transaction fee. There is no fairness, it is all about business, the agreement btw buyer and seller

5. Efty is used as a sales landing page builder. Is is efficient enough? Does it make the domain more credible or sense of responsible ownership vs parking ads? If so, what tool you recommend for sales page?

efty is little ugly. I personally thinking to use woocommerce because they have escrow as partner

Thank you all for your advice!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  4. xynames

xynames Established Member

You can’t simply nail down these answers in black and white. You’ll learn by reading...and doing. Good luck and welcome.

5. Digital Eye Candy

Digital Eye Candy Established Member

Is there a checklist of things, or a process more experienced domainers do that would be useful for us newbies to follow?

6. karmaco

karmaco Established Member

With Efty you get 100 percent profit from your sales- no commission to pay. And I don’t think it’s ugly. And it links to Escrow Payoneer or PayPal. Your choice.

Anywhere else Domain related you park your names at is going to take a cut and put ugly ads up. Choice is up to you.

I agree good names will be found wherever they are.

7. slkn

Is it possible to upload images (at least 1 big) or even videos to sales landing pages (lets say Efty) to make it more attractive??

8. omelet

omelet Active Member VIP

Oh. I personally think efty has bad taste

Or, most of domainers have very bad taste in design. Honestly speaking

9. DomaHub

I don't believe uploading images is possible in Efty. It is possible through DomaHub though.

Here's an example -- https://youretoxic.com/

10. Rothex

Rothex ROTHEXCHANGE.COM Business Account

Efty actually does allow you to upload a 300x80 pixel logo/image on your landing pages. I use them exclusively to manage my portfolio and for landing pages on my domains. I provided a couple examples below.

Example 1

Example 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  11. slkn

Whats your opinion about DomaHub?
    It seems similar to Efty, but more design appealing oriented.

12. DomaHub

I don't think @slkn is asking about uploading a logo, but rather an image that covers the entire page. Like the example I posted above (https://youretoxic.com)

13. Rothex

The landing page example @DomaHub provided looks good as well. It's definitely comparable to Efty so really it comes down to what you think is more appealing. Some users may be drawn to the clean neutral colors of the Efty pages while the customization allowed with DomaHub allows you to target the specific end user with more reflective content. I would also consider the tools and features of the two sites as well e.g. subscription/commission costs, analytics, integrations, marketing, security, and interface.

Thanks for pointing that out. Great landing page as well!

14. Rothex

Edit: Realized today that Efty does allow you to upload a full custom background image (1920x1080 pixel), with the addition of a 300x80 pixel logo image. I provided an updated example of this below

Updated Example

Thanks,

15. DomaHub

That looks great!

Quick question--

Does Efty allow you to change the favicon on the top of the page?

16. Rothex

@DomaHub I assume you're referencing the small black/white "Doomsday Academy" logo. If so, yes you can upload both a custom background image and custom logo image. If you don't use the custom logo option the plain text of the domain will appear as a default.

17. DomaHub

Sorry, but I was not referring to your Doomsday Academy logo, but rather the favicon at the top of your browser--

Here is a picture that shows what I mean--there is an Efty logo right next to your domain name/exchange name.

upload_2018-1-12_17-24-56.png
    upload_2018-1-12_17-25-24.png

18. Rothex

@DomaHub Thanks for the clarification. I'm not seeing a setting anywhere that allows the favicon to be changed.

19. MetBob

MetBob Established Member

@Rothex I really like the examples you shared. I must look into making better use of the limited dimension icon and making it worth with the background on my Efty pages, cause yours is so good! Thanks and good luck with your sales.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!