IT.COM

question Sell domain with monthly installments ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Asfas1000

Top Member
Impact
Hey guys

do you have any experience re monhtly payments ?

Did it work for you ? What service did you use ? When was the domain transfered ? Fees ?

Thx !

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the best thing you can do is go to escrow.com's website. They may have a minimum dollar value..

•••
Thanks for responding, I did check Escrow.com, Ecop.com and EscrowHill.com

They do offer some options for this type of payment, although it's a bit costly.

I wanted to get some advice from members with personal experience if possible.

•••
Asfas...The problem is they have to keep it on the books for X amount of time. It's just time consuming for an employee unless the selling price is large enough.

•••
Yep...you're right buddy.

•••
As the seller, unless the buyer specifically asks for it, you don't need a service. Simply update the nameservers to point to the buyer's server and collect the payments on a monthly basis. If they don't pay, or they use the domain for something you feel could hurt the value of it, switch the nameservers. When they've completed all the payments, transfer it over to their possession.

I personally purchased a domain on an installment plan. I gave the seller a 1/3 downpayment and told him I'd pay the balance off within 90 days. If I did not complete the balance within 90 days, there would be a penalty fee. He agreed and I paid before the 90 days. You can do something similar.

•••
As the seller, unless the buyer specifically asks for it, you don't need a service. Simply update the nameservers to point to the buyer's server and collect the payments on a monthly basis. If they don't pay, or they use the domain for something you feel could hurt the value of it, switch the nameservers. When they've completed all the payments, transfer it over to their possession.

I personally purchased a domain on an installment plan. I gave the seller a 1/3 downpayment and told him I'd pay the balance off within 90 days. If I did not complete the balance within 90 days, there would be a penalty fee. He agreed and I paid before the 90 days. You can do something similar.
Thanks for the suggestion. This method might be more acceptable for a lease arrangement, but I would have thought that in the case of a sale, the buyer would want the reassurance of escrow in most cases, I know I would.

•••
I do much the same thing with property -- it works. I accept monthly payments and title is transfered to the buyer when full payment is made. The worry for the buyer is that they pay the full sum then the property is not transfered. The worry for me is I transfer the property at the beginning of the term and then they don't pay.

A simple way around it is to transfer title to an independent lawyer (in this case the domain) at the start of the payment. The buyer can use the domain as he / she wishes and when full payment is made the lawyer pushes the domain to the buyer. Check it out on my site bulgarianoverseasproperty (dot) com -- all the properties listed are sold this way. You will of course need a watertight contract to cover late payments etc.

Of course escrow is the best way but using a lawyer might work out cheaper for both parties. It is always another option to consider.

Best,
Paul

•••
In the last two months I've done four deals totaling $15K on installment payments. Great way to make a domain investments more "liquid".

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back