NameSilo

Self taught newbs AM journal

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Due to all of the journals which have been started and discontinued I have been inspired to record my experiences here for all to see.

A little background check on me, I am 20 years old turning 21 on July 27th, I dropped out of highscool when I was 16 to take care of my mother, at 17 we bought our first computer and were introduced to the internet.

Since I began surfing I was always trying to earn money online, failure after failure I finally discovered HTML, intrigued by this I began reading tutorials and newsletters aimed toward html, after a few months I was creating not to bad static web pages, at one point I had a webpage selling tools from amazon.com this site had over 400 pages which were ALL html, no php, mysql or ssi if I wanted to change the menu I did it 400 times.

As you can tell I started slow, I recently did a little freelance work and made some extra money, in these projects I discovered php and mysql, once again I began reading, buying books and reading more, now I have a few websites, one which is getting about 500 000 page views a month, I am earning about $20 a month from ads from this site but am currently having it optimized.

Now I have started a gaming website, it will mainly be a review website, I have a great content writer I found at elance, he was charging me $2 a review but I thought that was not even worth his time so I pay him $5 per review, prolly soon to be $10 (as soon as my site starts earning)

So the status of this new site is, the main layout is basically complete, CSS work is about 50% I only have 2 reviews so far because all my content will be unique, I will be trying to write a few articles over the next week or so.

So this is the beginning, I hope in a few months I will be able to post articles like rfung, but for now I will update this journal so all newbies have a reference point.

Thank you for reading please check back every few days.

Dylan

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Today I added another 4 reviews, hopefully the site will be ready to send to google soon :D.

will update shortly

•••
I'm glad you started this thread. Interesting.

Are you saying that I can go to elance and hire a writer to sit there and write reviews for products I sell on a website...even though he's never actually bought or used the product before? What about testimonials? Is that also something that these free lancers get into, too?

Do people generally do this for new forums, too?

•••
zquest said:
I'm glad you started this thread. Interesting.

Are you saying that I can go to elance and hire a writer to sit there and write reviews for products I sell on a website...even though he's never actually bought or used the product before? What about testimonials? Is that also something that these free lancers get into, too?

Do people generally do this for new forums, too?

Im not to sure about testimonials or forums but there is a section to hire "content writers" most are very expensive but there are a few affordable writers that do good work.

In my case my content writer rents each game I have him review so he can give a nice 1000 or so word review.

•••
dkin69 said:
In my case my content writer rents each game I have him review so he can give a nice 1000 or so word review.

That's odd. And he only wanted $2.00 per reveiw? It costs more than $2.00 to rent a game in my neck of the woods. And to boot, 1K words is a lot for no profit (or even a loss).

Be careful when hiring content writers, especialy those unrealistically cheap ones. Always check up on the work they produce for you. It will save your a lot of trouble and possibly your financial future. See the link to another forum's thread here...

http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=103655

Everyone who hires content writers should visit that thread.

Cheap doesn't always mean "great deal!". It could mean unavoidaable trouble for you in the future which can cost you your whole financial well-being for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
•••
Yes I have had him sign a contract and I check all the work online. The only reason he was so cheap is because he is right out of school and has made no money on elance yet, therefore no feedback :D

•••
I have hired a second content writer, they are both currently writing reviews for me, I also just added videos to my website.

Its coming along very nicely.

•••
The site is just about complete, I only have about 10 articles on it.

I just finished mod_rewriting the entire thing so hopefully googe will just eat it up.

Will let you know.

•••
•••
zquest said:
What is mod_rewriting?

Mod rewrite is when you change a dynamic url to a static url through your .HTACCESS

like so

to change

widgets.com/widget1.php

to

widgets.com/widget1.html

I would do this

RewriteRule widget1.html$ /widget.php

or for a dynamic url such as

widgets.com/widget1.php?color=blue

to

widgets.com/widget1/color/blue.html

RewriteRule widget1/color/(.*)\.html$ /widget1.php?color=$1

$1 takes the place of the variable and is input where you see "(.*)\"
then simply change your links to the html version and get ready for the search engines to eat it up.

Hope this helped.

Dylan

•••
Search engines have started showing up, got 126 hits from Inktomi today, this is where the fun begins.

•••
pretty much done the site, added another 5 reviews and now have 46 games, now my main focus is to add mucho content. :D will update soon.

•••
purchased a pinnacle product the other day so I am now recording gameplay and posting it on my site. If anyone would like info on how to do this pm me.

•••
I apologize for not updating, I was recently in a car accident and am recovering now.

Will update soon.

•••
Mainly focusing on adding content lately, have been recording alot of video and adding alot of games, for some reason I am not satisfied with my template so I will be revamping the layout of the site, try to make it tighter and rid it of all the whitespace.

•••
Just got 540 hits from google and now have over 900 pages in yahoo. Will let everyone know what happens.

•••
How did you get that many pages indexed in Google nad yahoo so quickly?

I mean, I'm assuming the whole site was started around the same date as your first post to the thread.

•••
I only have one link in, but I noticed someone from DMOZ came to my site the other day, that may have something to do with it, I submitted to google about a week before I started this thread, approx. 3 days before I started the site, that way I wouldnt have to wait, I dont recommend this unless you know you will have content on your pages when they get there.

Also all pages are se friendly so when they take one they take many more than one :D.

Just noticed I received 250 hits from msn bot today.

Woohooo.

Dylan

•••
Just noticed 650 hits from msn bot today, no real traffic from search engines just yet, hopefully it will show soon.

Dylan

•••
Just visited google and noticed that I now have about 500 pages indexed, things just keep getting better and better for this site.

•••
dkin69 said:
Just visited google and noticed that I now have about 500 pages indexed, things just keep getting better and better for this site.

Nice to hear, Dylan. How many pages are on your site total?

•••
Im not sure, it is all dynamic, is there an online utility that will count my pages for me???

•••
slight set back, my web host just upgraded servers now none of my mod rewrites are working so when a link is clicked it just refreshes the current page with a new url.

Been like this for a few days as far as I know, will update everyone when I find out more about whats going on.

Dylan

•••
ok, were back up and running.

•••
Added 13 link partners in the past couple of days, so 13 more links to my site, most pages are pr 1-3 not great but it will get google coming to my site more frequently.

These are my search engine result numbers

Altavista Google Inktomi Yahoo!
181 497 0 179

not bad for the first few months.

Will update when there is more news.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back