NameSilo

SEDO - Upcoming Crypto Domains Auction

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Snailz

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

Currently when I log into Sedo under Important Updates it says that there is an Upcoming Crypto Domains Auction. I don't see a place to submit my names and I was wondering if anyone who has more experience with Sedo than me knows where. I pasted the full text below in case anyone wants to read it.

Thanks,
~Snailz

Upcoming Crypto Domains Auction – September 13-20
Submit your names NOW!

Crypto domains have been trending all year long and with that Sedo is running an exclusive Crypto Domain Names Auction September 13-20. This event will also promoted during our attendance at the annual MERGE Domain Conference, delivering even more reach and exposure for your names!

We’re currently taking name submissions FREE of charge but they must meet our criteria:

• Contains well known keyword under the "crypto" umbrella. Or, extension has strong relationship to crypto and include a relevant keyword.
  • Please visit our newsroom for a comprehensive list of example keywords.

Additional considerations once this requirement is met:

• Short, one word, strong two word crypto related .com's, .net's, top ccTLD's, or alternative ccTLDS with a high value sales history of high value sales and newer "gTLD's" aligning well with crypto
  • Realistic domain reserves to incentivize bidders and reflect market rates
Don’t miss your chance to be a part of this potentially lucrative selling platform!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nope... Have you selected the domain in question? Is is currently listed for sale? What is shown in the promote dropdown?
That’s the problem. You have to select a domain from your list which means it needs to be added to your Sedo account.

•••
Nope... Have you selected the domain in question? Is is currently listed for sale? What is shown in the promote dropdown?
Found it - thanks for your help!

•••
Those are standard prices not for special auction events! Read the quoted part in the OP as well as click on the link in the quote. Both places, it's explicitly stated that submissions are free

Thanks for letting me know! I probably should have read my own post better :-P

•••
Sorry, but I can't find where they explicitly staded that submission is free. I would be thankful if you can paste text where that is stated.

I found only this statement:
"Auction Events
An application fee of $10 is charged for each domain listed in our Auction Events (monthly GreatDomains auctions or special auctions). This fee is non-refundable regardless of whether your domain is accepted or denied entry into the auction."
As this event is "Special crypto auction" obiously it should fall under "special auctions" and $10 fee is charged and it is not refundable even if your domains are rejected.

Thank you in advance.

Specifically 2nd paragraph 2nd sentence.

•••
Let me know if you guys hear back. I submitted cry/pto.g/y on tuesday and I haven't heard back.
Will do

Not looking like I will find out today, I reckon they have had a LOT of applications and it might take a extra day or two, or my name is not highly thought of by them and I have been put on the back burner!

•••
Last edited:
•••
Sedo, who is picking these names for auction? I submitted EXACT MATCH top keyword category killer domains and got rejected. Yet I see some of the names listed are laughable at best.

•••
•••
Are they still taking submitions? Do the domains have to be parked with sedo?
1)Yes.
2) No. None of my accepted domains were parked with them.

•••
in my sedo account one crypto related domain showing "Scheduled for Auction" what is mean that my domain accepted for auction?
Yeah. Good luck!

•••
If I sold all 6 names at the prices they suggested for reserve, it would be 15k total. That’s only an average of $2500 a name. Then you have to figure in Sedo’s 20%. Meh.

The only thing that tempts me is that I’ve only had the names for about a year, but I’ve also had plenty of offers in that amount of time as well.

It would be different if you could expect the domains to go well above reserve, but with the current crypto bear market that’s unlikely.

I remember the old Moniker auctions of yesteryear and how they always ended up underperforming, so I just can’t see any wild bidding wars happening with this one.

If this were happening in December 2017 or January 2018.. it might be a different story.

Maybe I’m wrong.. and good luck to anyone who is in the auction.

Last edited:
•••
After pending for 3 weeks ETHFAQ.com was rejected as too high a reserve at $488, I would have thought worth a shot but there you go.

Then I see btcxwallet.com at a reserve of $10- 25K :xf.smile: and it was registered 6 days ago.:xf.eek:

What a joke.

Minor apology to Sedo, they were suggesting a reserve below $499 and resubmit.
Other better names were rejected outright.

The btcxwallet.com at a reserve of $10- 25K is a joke still stands.

•••
I can't understand the criteria(s) Sedo used to accept/reject submissions, but it looks like they used "Flip a coin" criteria.

All my four submissions were rejected (Quality requirements not met).

CryptoIndustry.com
CryptoBased.com
Exchange.cc
Cryptographer.me

Last edited:
•••
I can't understand the criteria(s) Sedo used to accept/reject submissions, but it looks like they used "Flip a coin" criteria.

All my four submissions were rejected.

CryptoIndustry.com
CryptoBased.com
Exchange.cc
Cryptographer.me
how the heck didn't they accept crypto industry??

•••
how the heck didn't they accept crypto industry??
How the heck they accepted most of the domains you see in the auction?!

Last edited:
•••
Looking like a complete dud as anticipated, I flicked through a few names .com.cn and others and many recent regs, even the week before the auction started.
Farcical.
Still expecting the big "sale" on ngtld. :xf.smile:

•••
•••
•••
I think the auction is a big failure because of the following reasons:

1. Rejected good domains but accepted crappy domains. Many accepted domains are of low quality that have typo mistakes, are long or are not strongly crypto-related. It gives me a feeling that many domains were picked by a domain newbie who did not know much about domaining and did not go through the Sedo's stated requirements of good crypto domains before picking.

2. High reserve prices. Some reserve prices were set like asking prices for end users. For instance, some 2-keyword domains had 5-figure reserves. Domain investors had no room for profit. If the auction targeted some potential end users who attended the Merge Conference, startups and SMEs did not have much funds to buy the highly priced domains, and big firms could not make decisions on buying the domains in a short auction period.

Based on the 2 reasons, only a few transactions of low reserves were done.

I don't know how Sedo promoted the domains. But no matter how they promoted, the auction would end up a big failure. But if Sedo really did well on promotion, I think some owners of good domains will receive offers in the short future. The auction result is not a good indicator of the actual market, so it is not conclusive that the actual market is bearish. The prospect of blockchain technology is great as it will be widely adopted in a variety of industries, such as banking/finance and retail, to combat frauds and fake products.

•••
I don't see it, either. I tried Live Chat, but no one is around.

•••
Click My Domain. Than under the tab domain management their should be something that says "change your view" make it say SedoMLS Premium Promotion. Once you are there click on your crypto domain and find promote domain. Click on the drop down of promoted domain and select special crypto auction and you should be set.

Thanks! That worked!

•••
Is this auction free if our domains get selected or need to pay some fee..

•••
Today Albert Schimmel contact me and offer that list one of my domain for sale in crypto auction .
my answer : why not !?
i think it is good opportunity .

•••
I submitted a bunch. Let's see what they accept.

•••
Free to submit for the auction and list. They'll charge an auction commission on successful sale

In the "Managed Auction Terms and Conditions" it says "Sedo may charge a non-refundable application fee for each Domain submitted for a Managed Auction Event in the amount described on the Sedo Price List or applicable Managed Auction Event application page, which are subject to change from time to time."

On the Sedo Price List it says that there is an application fee of $10 for each domain submitted to an auction event.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back