DAN.com

Science & Technology news & discussion

Labeled as discuss in The Break Room, started by CraigD, Oct 19, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. Cannuck

Cannuck 420 friendly VIP

That is, assuming these extraterrestrial beings have similar carbon-based corporeal structures to humans. What if they were 'light beings' (ie. for simplicity, ghosts) or comprised of a chemical constituency of different 'exotic' elements? Wouldn't that help overcome the physics of Relativity and Space/Time travel? :xf.wink:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Sutruk

Sutruk Top Contributor VIP

An immortal immaterial being traveling millions of light years overcoming the physics of Relativity, maybe using a 4th or 5th dimension to reach us and take a peek of what's going on on our blue planet... mmm.. that sounds like a sci-fi movie, but who knows!

3. Sutruk

The more intelligent is the civilization, the more near to crush their own environment and habitat, as we are just seeing right now on our planet.
    So, the difficult and crucial step for an intelligent civilization, is to reach an advanced technology to make interstellar travels, before crushing its own habitat.

4. CraigD

CraigD Top Contributor VIP

The Fermi Paradox is basically an argument against the rather optimistic Drake equation, but takes it further. The Fermi Paradox actually came first...

Interesting academic concepts, but way too many assumptions in both arguments IMO.

I'm still not convinced that there is any intelligent life out there.

5. CraigD

I know that Newton and others of his leaning who were dabbling in the black-arts used their own 'codes' to avoid trouble with the church.

My guess is that this was produced by a monk who was practicing his artwork and layout, and the indecipherable text was a placeholder - basically todays Lorem Ipsum.

A really interesting read.

6. Cannuck

Cannuck 420 friendly VIP

Remember, movies are just single frames or pictures that move optically faster than our eyes can see or our brain can distinguish. They wouldn't have to be immortal if their mode of transport bent the time continuum, lol.

I can't agree regarding the word "intelligent", advanced or indulgent is perhaps the more appropriate descriptor. I have heard some ancient stories from various tribes regarding the Sky people, as well as more recent accounts of space travel while practicing the Sun Dance.

7. CraigD

I just cannot help myself - I love quoting Douglas Adams in serious philosophical and scientific debates ;)

“... on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

8. Sutruk

Yes, I noticed the mistake by using "intelligent", clearly not the correct one.
    I should have said... "technologically advanced civilizations", but silly enough to destroy their own habitat.

"Immortal" sounds a bit sci-fi... but just by the way we are playing with genes, clones and other health advances, I see it more probable (increasing our lifetime, by clones or who knows, stopping the aging clock at some point?), than beating the space long distances by bending the time continuum or folding the space-time, or building an almost light-speed spaceship.

9. CraigD

You have raised a point that I had not considered - the gene research into ageing.

It will be a long and boring trip, but we may actually get there in the end.

This is Asimov and Herbert's fantasy, where humans travel and populate vast distances in the galaxy, and are reunited many centuries later.

10. Mister Funsky

Mister Funsky Top Contributor VIP

The death of our vessel does not mean the end (if you have taken the right path(s)...maybe). A little food for thought...

The Physics of Death (and What Happens to Your Energy When You Die)
    "When we die, our energy doesn't die with us."

"But what if instead of looking at death from a biological perspective, we examine it from a physics standpoint? More specifically, let’s look at how our energy is redistributed after we die."

https://futurism.com/the-physics-of-death

11. Cannuck

Cannuck 420 friendly VIP

During the past 6 months or so, people have had to examine their mortality more often than I can recall in my lifetime. I've even prepared my own will in the event of untimely death. That's not to say we won't come out of this alive, as I would rather consider my/our options for the future and focus on something more positive. What I find interesting, however, is denial:

The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science

When people grow polarized over a body of evidence, or a resolvable matter of fact, the cause may be some form of biased reasoning, but they could also be receiving skewed information to begin with—or a complicated combination of both.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/04/denial-science-chris-mooney/

12. Cal2

Cal2 Established Member

Some further thoughts on intelligence:

The Intelligence Trap
    http://www.srojak.com/arcade/intrap.shtml#buyit

Interesting thread. Wish I had more time for it.

13. CraigD

@Cannuck - I realise I am quoting you out of context here, so allow me first to apologise before I carry on...

We won't get out of this alive as there are only two certainties in life - death and taxes - to quote Benjamin Franklin ;)

Now, to the skewed information studies...

There are scientists who publish questionable studies before they are peer-reviewed within their community. News media goes nuts, social media speculates, and then the predictions or studies are shown to be false.

One example I clearly remember came from the OPERA team and their study suggesting that neutrinos travel faster than light in 2011. I'm no particle scientists/theorist, but it was clear to many at the time that this broke the established rules of Einstein's special relativity.

Unfortunately these types of incidents only serve to undermine peoples trust in science and the media.

Edit:
    I've edited out my paragraph about Harold Camping, the 'rapture' preacher who died after his prophecy failed to materialise because, although the Mother Jones article talks specifically about failed cult and religious predictions, I think I was going off-topic on a science and technology thread.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  14. CraigD

Is this a trick intelligence test?
    I don't wish to click on a link that includes '#buyit' in the URL ;)

15. CraigD

16. koolishman

koolishman Upgraded Member Blue Account

Too much science for my too small brain!

Keep it going! Interesting articles.

17. CraigD

Scientists develop 'mini-brains' to help robots recognize pain and to self-repair
    Using a brain-inspired approach, scientists from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU Singapore) have developed a way for robots to have the artificial intelligence (AI) to recognise pain and to self-repair when damaged.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201015101812.htm

18. koolishman

:xf.grin:

19. CraigD

I don't believe the 21-grams theory has ever been replicated (quite logically), but the other studies are interesting.

Here's a BBC article titled What happens to our bodies after we die
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20150508-what-happens-after-we-die

20. CraigD

The BepiColombo Probe Just Took a Ridiculously Close Video of Venus as It Flew By

Two years after it left Earth, Mercury probe BepiColombo has completed the first of its first flybys of Venus. The manoeuvre is designed to give the spacecraft a boost on its journey - but it's also too good an opportunity to pass up for a little science.

https://www.sciencealert.com/bepico...nus-as-it-flew-by-in-its-first-gravity-assist

More information:

BepiColombo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BepiColombo

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraft/display.action?id=BEPICLMBO

21. CraigD

Most plastic recycling produces low-value materials – but we’ve found a way to turn a common plastic into high-value molecules

In the six decades that plastic has been manufactured for commercial uses, more than 8.3 billion metric tons have been produced... Most of them decompose extremely slowly in the environment... I am a chemist with experience in designing processes for making plastics... I wondered if we could turn plastic waste into something more valuable to keep it out of landfills and the natural environment.

https://theconversation.com/most-pl...mmon-plastic-into-high-value-molecules-148506

22. CraigD

23. CraigD

A Crash Course In Particle Physics

Professor Brian Cox of the University of Manchester presents an educational walk, through the fundamentals of Particle Physics.

24. koolishman

After reading all these, I wanted to clear my head.

But, damn!

25. CraigD

Pump down the volume: Study finds noise-cancelling formula

Noisy, open-plan offices full of workers hunched over desks while wearing noise canceling headphones could soon be a thing of the past... "This is a way of creating a quieter space, without the need for everyone to keep their headphones on."

https://phys.org/news/2020-10-volume-noise-cancelling-formula.html

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice