Domain Empire

question Scam the scammer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

branding

Private InvestorTop Member
Impact
This probably happens a lot but it's a first for me so I'm interested in your opinions. Is this a common scam or just someone deperately trying to sell a domain ?

A while ago I got an email from someone offering me a domain. It'd make a nice addition to the domains I use for my business (thats probably where they got my info) so I decided to check it out. Whois showed it was expiring. Obviously I decided not to reply to the email as it was already close to pending delete so I decided to wait it out and didnt think much of it.

I basically forgot about it but a few days ago I got a followup on the sales email, again offering the domain. I checked whois and it showed it dropped 2 days before. Needless to say I picked it up at reg fee but I'm wondering if this is a scam.

Yesterday I replied to them saying I might be interested if I can get the domain for somewhere under 2K (real value is about $300-$500) so I'm curious if they will contact me through my website and try to buy it back.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It`s a scam. Offer to buy the domain but only if they pay you 100 USD (upfront) to cover your bank admin fee though Western Union. Then tell them you`ve just won 50 million quid on the Nigerian lottery and are willing to pay treble - only if you get your 100 bucks upfront.

I doubt you`ll hear anymore.

Best,
Paul

•••
It`s a scam. Offer to buy the domain but only if they pay you 100 USD (upfront) to cover your bank admin fee though Western Union. Then tell them you`ve just won 50 million quid on the Nigerian lottery and are willing to pay treble - only if you get your 100 bucks upfront.

Best,
Paul

Lol, that should do the trick :)

•••
They're hoping you don't check and they will sell it to you for a lot more than reg fee. Could be more to it as stated above but I believe they're just trying to front-run some names.

I got emails all the time trying to sell me dropping or available domains. One I even checked then reg'd right after I saw the email lol.

•••

Best,
Paul
I dont think you have to mention Nigeria here. Google crawl this site every hour and given we are trying to build our reputation again, we dont need this to be online. The internet never forgets

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back