Dynadot

Saying Hi Making Friends

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kray_b

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone! My name is Kristina. Newbie alert :)

I've been doing lots of research on domain buy-n-sell biz and decided to give it a try, it just felt right and I was interested in what I was doing (just recently quit well paid job, sick of having a boss and customer service makes you hate humanity).

I am genuinely interested in this because I can stay at home away from outside insanity and not pretend that I like people (don't we all) , but I also love the hunt and the thrill and how unpredictable it could be. That being said, after 2 days of research, this morning I bought my first 2 domains through GoDaddy using expiring domains website. (please let me know if this was a terrible idea lol)

Couple of unexpected things I came across:

- Bid price is not the final price, there's extra fees, that's cool

-GoDaddy will only have those domains available to resell 9/14/17, is that the normal process? If so, if I see something that could be desirable soon and purchase it (poor example: hurricaneirma) , I can't resell it for 2 weeks? seems like for desirable time sensitive domains that's kind of odd...

-I have my eye on a domain "companyname"training.com but I don't know much about trademark yet. so if it's a big company name + word training.com is it most likely trademarked? I tried couple websites I found online but wasn't able to get a straight answer.

-How would one find out if the domain is fake? or legitimate?

-I tried many appraisal websites but find them unbelievable so I don't normally go off of those, let me know if this is the right mindset

I appreciate any advice, tips, warnings and constructive criticism, please understand this is my third day so naturally I have lots of ambition, I am prepared for failure and prepared to wait and learn and would really like to become a part of this community.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
Welcome friend! Best of luck domaining!

•••
•••
inspiring story and great example of the thought process and approach to domains, thanks!

•••
•••
thank you all, how long have you been doing this?

•••
I'm in the same boat as you, :xf.wink: Just started a couple of months ago, part time, since I have a full time job and try to balance out a few hours at night :xf.smile:

trying to read, research and learn for now.
NP is a great place and has tons of info as well as the experience of other members to learn from.

•••
•••
•••
Hey Kristina welcome to Namepros!

-I have my eye on a domain "companyname"training.com but I don't know much about trademark yet. so if it's a big company name + word training.com is it most likely trademarked? I tried couple websites I found online but wasn't able to get a straight answer.

Yes you shouldn't register a domain name that contains a Trademark!

How would one find out if the domain is fake? or legitimate?

Use who is service like whois.com to check domain name information (age, registrant, registrar ect..)

-I tried many appraisal websites but find them unbelievable so I don't normally go off of those, let me know if this is the right mindset

Appraisal websites are useless imo, it can give you an indication of value for some domains like EMDs (exact match domains) but you shouldn't relay on automated appraisals to register or price your domains! if you need any appraisal, there is a section on Namepros dedicate just for that https://www.namepros.com/forums/domain-appraisal.3/

Best of luck to you!

•••
Thank to Emmy very useful info! How would I know if the domain is trademarked?

•••
Last edited:
•••
Hello and Welcome to NamePros.

•••
you can use services like .
I typed in *company name*training.com in that website search bar and it said it didn't find any trademarks. I know that the company must be trademarked since it's a big one, but if put together in a domain name with the word "training" I guess it's no longer trademarked? :)

•••
•••
Hello and weclome Kristina! Anybody that loves their dog is a friend of mine!

Take your time and read as much as you can here...lots of information to learn.

wipo.int/branddb/en/ is another place to look for trademark issues.

Lastly, I would suggest looking at other/cheaper registrars than gddy. I am partial to Epik as privacy is free and they don't have hidden costs. Best of luck!

•••
Thank you I will defiantly give it a try! :)

•••
Hi Kristina,

WelcomeNPPuzzle.jpg

•••
Hahaha thank you! I'm not allowed to post pictures or photos yet.... so just letting you know I had a good one in mind lol

•••
•••
Welcome to NamePro!
It's really a great community people here.

•••
•••
Back