Dynadot

Saying Hi Making Friends

NameSilo
Watch

kray_b

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone! My name is Kristina. Newbie alert :)

I've been doing lots of research on domain buy-n-sell biz and decided to give it a try, it just felt right and I was interested in what I was doing (just recently quit well paid job, sick of having a boss and customer service makes you hate humanity).

I am genuinely interested in this because I can stay at home away from outside insanity and not pretend that I like people (don't we all) , but I also love the hunt and the thrill and how unpredictable it could be. That being said, after 2 days of research, this morning I bought my first 2 domains through GoDaddy using expiring domains website. (please let me know if this was a terrible idea lol)

Couple of unexpected things I came across:

- Bid price is not the final price, there's extra fees, that's cool

-GoDaddy will only have those domains available to resell 9/14/17, is that the normal process? If so, if I see something that could be desirable soon and purchase it (poor example: hurricaneirma) , I can't resell it for 2 weeks? seems like for desirable time sensitive domains that's kind of odd...

-I have my eye on a domain "companyname"training.com but I don't know much about trademark yet. so if it's a big company name + word training.com is it most likely trademarked? I tried couple websites I found online but wasn't able to get a straight answer.

-How would one find out if the domain is fake? or legitimate?

-I tried many appraisal websites but find them unbelievable so I don't normally go off of those, let me know if this is the right mindset

I appreciate any advice, tips, warnings and constructive criticism, please understand this is my third day so naturally I have lots of ambition, I am prepared for failure and prepared to wait and learn and would really like to become a part of this community.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Najam I feel very welcome regardless of the fact that we are somewhat competitors but I don't see it that way at all, and I've already found so much good into already!

•••
•••
Welcome Kristina, my only advice is don't be in too much of a rush to reg/buy names research first, sometimes when we started out we rushed through and wasted money, patience is the key
Joe T

•••
Welcome but your a long way from ready reading that.

•••
Hi Kristina,

First of all, welcome to Namepros. the perfect place for you to learn more about domaining.

Here are some tips for you about investing in domains.

Good luck.. :)
Thank you for the link I will read this today! I've been reading multiple articles like this but namepros so far are most helpful.

•••
Welcome Kristina, my only advice is don't be in too much of a rush to reg/buy names research first, sometimes when we started out we rushed through and wasted money, patience is the key
Joe T
Yup I definitely learned that yesterday! Luckily I have some cash to spend and I do believe that failure is when you pay a price for a life lesson you won't forget so I am not discouraged! Loving the support here at namepros as well :)

•••
Welcome but your a long way from ready reading that.
Im sure I am but it wouldn't hurt! :) I know that babies need to drink milk and not eat solid food but I do like to get ahead of myself haha

•••
if anybody sees this message and has a minute to answer, I have some questions....

1. found a domain I want to buy GD says its available and it's .99 + renewal. SEDO however says its available for sale and min offer is $400. Hows that possible?!:cyclops:
2. any way (coupons, codes, other website) to surpass the renewal fee?:xf.grin:

thanks guys!:xf.embarrassed:

•••
sometimes people forget to delete names that have expired, sedo removes them eventually but it can take a few months for them to catch on.

•••
sometimes people forget to delete names that have expired, sedo removes them eventually but it can take a few months for them to catch on.
well damn. noted. thank you!

•••
If You Want To Be Your Own Boss this is a great business for it. But it requires a lot of learning before you can understand what names to buy how much to pay for them and how to sell them this is not something you're goimg to be great at overnight. But if this is what you want to do with your life. GO for it. Domaining changed my life. Get your study on! Good luck and welcome to The Forum

Last edited:
•••
If You Want To Be Your Own Boss this is a great business for it. But it requires a lot of learning before you can understand what names to buy how much to pay for them and how to sell them this is not something you're goimg to be great at overnight. But if this is what you want to do with your life. GO for it. Domaining changed my life. Get your study on! Good luck and welcome to The Forum
This is a very encouraging, do you have your success story or anything of that sort anywhere?

•••
Nope. But when I eventually tell it. It will be good one

•••
•••
Hey there @kray_b
Since others members gave you great links and tips..just my two cents (past experiences)
(1) Set a budget and stick to it
(2) Sometimes, when all else fails, maybe try developing your domain.
IMG_20170406_164100.jpg

•••
Hey there @kray_b
Since others members gave you great links and tips..just my two cents (past experiences)
(1) Set a budget and stick to it
(2) Sometimes, when all else fails, maybe try developing your domain.
Show attachment 68303
I will definitely set a budget, I kind of had one in the beginning but the way I'm spending now I need to slow down haha yes developing the domain is one of many tips I got I will definitely do that with a couple! Thank you!

•••
Welcome to NamePros , patience is the key of success in Domaining .

Good Luck (y)

•••
Hi @kray_b - welcome to NamePros. If you continue to hand reg domain names at GoDaddy (like finding a diamond in the rough!), be sure to at least use the 30% off coupon code for new products - search retailmenot ... GoDaddy codes. This brings the 1st year down to $9.92 ... and if you reg for multiple years because its something you may want to hang on to for a while for it to increase in value, then try more years now. There are no coupons or codes for renewal fees that I've found, and the GD price for renewal is over $14. Good luck!

•••
Hello everyone! I came across an interesting situation with a domain I purchased.

I used seomastering(dot)com/google-banned(dot)php website to check if my domains are banned after learning from a blog that I should always check my domains. When I ran it through the search it came up "BANNED or not indexed by Google".

However when I checked for ads in google adsense sandbox, the ads are showing which is supposed to mean that ads will work for that site.

Had anybody ever purchased a "banned" domain and how did you deal with it? Didn't find too much info on this topic so far unless I missed something :)

•••
Welcome to NamePros , patience is the key of success in Domaining .

Good Luck (y)
this will be a great opportunity for me to practice and grow in patience since I am a walking tornado! :xf.laugh:

•••
Hi @kray_b - welcome to NamePros. If you continue to hand reg domain names at GoDaddy (like finding a diamond in the rough!), be sure to at least use the 30% off coupon code for new products - search retailmenot ... GoDaddy codes. This brings the 1st year down to $9.92 ... and if you reg for multiple years because its something you may want to hang on to for a while for it to increase in value, then try more years now. There are no coupons or codes for renewal fees that I've found, and the GD price for renewal is over $14. Good luck!
Great advice, thank you! I've been using retailmenot so far and its been great, I do know there's a page somewhere on NP that has GD discounts but I lost it...if you ever come across that page, send it my way if you don't mind!:-P

•••
Had anybody ever purchased a "banned" domain and how did you deal with it?

I have a few...not a big deal as the domains are strong and a potential buyer will not care that giggle won't let advertising show if its parked. I don't buy names for parking revenue (not anymore at least).

Also, check out epik rather than waste time looking for codes. It is always 8.49 including free privacy. I've moved hundreds of names to them over the last year or so. As a matter of fact, if you prefund your account, you can get names for 8.10 including privacy. If you are interested let me know and I will send a link.

•••
I have a few...not a big deal as the domains are strong and a potential buyer will not care that giggle won't let advertising show if its parked. I don't buy names for parking revenue (not anymore at least).

Also, check out epik rather than waste time looking for codes. It is always 8.49 including free privacy. I've moved hundreds of names to them over the last year or so. As a matter of fact, if you prefund your account, you can get names for 8.10 including privacy. If you are interested let me know and I will send a link.
Hmm ok.... you mean moved them from GD to epik? Or no haha I'm clueless sorry, yes send me the link I'd like to learn more!

•••
you mean moved them from GD to epik?

Yes...I only keep a couple of names at gd to keep the account open...had one for many years with them but an issue made me search for an alternative. Found epik and haven't looked back. I am actually on the way to fund my account...I feel a buying binge coming on!

•••
Yes...I only keep a couple of names at gd to keep the account open...had one for many years with them but an issue made me search for an alternative. Found epik and haven't looked back. I am actually on the way to fund my account...I feel a buying binge coming on!
haha oh no! I wish you best of luck and may you find a goldmine!:xf.grin::-P

•••
Back