IT.COM

Safest place to register domains?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I'm looking for the safest place to register domains. I have been using GoDaddy for a while, but I fear that their security measures are too weak.

All you need to know is the last four digits of someone's credit card and the address they live at (There might be one other thing).

I don't own a ton of high profile domains but I do have a few that are worth protecting. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the safest place to register domains is.

Or perhaps you think GoDaddy is good - as long as you buy privacy on the domains perhaps?

Let me know what you think as well as best practices to protecting domains from theft.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I've been using GoDaddy for a while and no probs yet... Besides, when do you go round telling people the last four digits of your credit card? You'd have to be mental to do that.

Social Hacking

i.e. someone knows you go to a movie rental business.

That person calls a branch and says, "Hey, I'm over here from this branch and my system is having some issues. Can you please pull up the last four digits on a credit card for 'first name, last name'"

They call enough branches until someone is stupid enough to give them the info. That's step one.

Then they proceed looking for the rest.

Also, if you give your credit card to someone at a restaurant they have the whole thing.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

You need to have at least 500 domains in your GD account.

Brad

Can you pay to get in even if you don't have 500 / what additional security measures are offered?

•••
•••
One thing you should definitely do to drastically reduce the odds of being fleeced is set up your WhoIs with a forwarding email, as pointed out elsewhere on NP.

Let's see a black hat cracker have fun with THAT! D-: :lol:

•••
You need to have at least 500 domains in your GD account.

Brad

Brad isn't that what can be called "Keeping all eggs in one basket"?

•••
It is much easier to manage domains at a few registrars than a bunch of different ones for tracking purposes. Plus the security measures that are offered to Executive Account holders are far beyond the norm.

Brad

Brad isn't that what can be called "Keeping all eggs in one basket"?

•••
Hey all,

Just saw this thread and thought I would mention our new Fabulous Security Key which is available. More details can be found here.

Cheers,

Mike
Fabulous.com

•••
I've tried all the registrars, and have domains at fabulous, godaddy, and moniker.

And fabulous has the best security, and it isn't even close...You can have 5 sub passwords for transfers / pushes, a USB security key, and executive lock on all the domains, for free.

•••
All the top domain registrars have good security measures.

Serious problems can occur when your personal computer is not protected. Protect yourself from keylogger trojans/virus (people can record your keyboard actions and can discover your password). Install anti-virus and clean your PC regularly.

Make your email passwords ridiculously secure - this is probably where the majority of domain thefts occur. Someone hacks into an email account and only then is able to gain access to domains.

•••
Fabulous for cheap pricing, security and good support.

Moniker for cheap pricing, security, and no support.

Depends if you value support or not :)

You forgot the mention the superior Moniker interface. It's imho the best in the biz.

•••
You forgot the mention the superior Moniker interface. It's imho the best in the biz.

Have you seen dynadot's which allows you to group domains? They beat Moniker's interface hands down although I'd say Moniker is one of the better ones for sure.

•••

That's true, Moniker does have a nice intuitive interface. Probably spent all their support budget to develop the interface :)

•••
i have been using Godaddy for years but never experienced any kind of security issues.Its really a reliable site only.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back